Need site feedback from the community

Tellor

Could I use a few minutes from some experts to critique my newest
site?

http://www.officialsitebuilder.com/

On the design only please; do not bury me with insults about the
objective of the site ;-)

it's a tool to build websites for free for the beginner user <grin>

Thanks!

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Tellor said:
Could I use a few minutes from some experts to critique my newest
site?

On the design only please; do not bury me with insults about the
objective of the site ;-)

Did you think the response to one of your other multi-posts was an
insult?

This page is not Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional!
Result: Failed validation, 271 Errors
it's a tool to build websites for free for the beginner user <grin>

Should such a tool teach beginners to build pages with 271 errors? I
think not. Besides, your page is hard to read, with the low-contrast
gray on white text, and microfonts.

Stuff like this:
Works totally on Javascript and html; Ajax is in the works, no need to
worry about Applets or ActiveX being used.</p>

...should be marked up as headings and paragraphs, or a list.

See this, too:

Travis Newbury

This page is not Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional!
Result: Failed validation, 271 Errors
Should such a tool teach beginners to build pages with 271 errors? I
think not. Besides, your page is hard to read, with the low-contrast
gray on white text, and microfonts.

Hmmmmm how many errors with they get if they use Word or Front page to
make their site? Could this not be the lesser of two evils?

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 12 Oct 2007 17:39:50 GMT
Tellor scribed:
Could I use a few minutes from some experts to critique my newest
site?

http://www.officialsitebuilder.com/

On the design only please; do not bury me with insults about the
objective of the site ;-)

it's a tool to build websites for free for the beginner user <grin>

Gee, it's too bad you have so many errors because what I see looks good,
and it seems to work good (home page), but that really isn't enough.

Advice: dump the xhtml and use html 4.01 strict.

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 12 Oct 2007
17:39:50 GMT Tellor scribed:

Gee, it's too bad you have so many errors because what I see looks
good, and it seems to work good (home page), but that really isn't
enough.

;)
If their own doesn't even come close, I wonder how user generated stuff
comes out. ;)

I really like this part.

? Can I see a demo of what can be done using your services?
Please signup with the site and just login using your username and password
to use all facilities provided by this site. You will be able to get
familiar with the tool. Do not be intimidated if you don't seem to
understand what you should do; we've all been there. Ask the community here.

Links to :

Name:ADMINISTRATOR ([email protected])
Date:Sat 06 Oct 2007 11:13:05 PM EDT
Subject:SUPPORT
THE TOOL IS FREE. UNFORTUNATELY WE ARE NOT IN THE POSITION TO SUPPORT YOU.
THERE ARE HUNDREDS OS USERS; WE COULDNT REALLY DO IT...

IF YOU NEED TO KNOW WHERE TO CLICK, HOW TO DO THIS OR THAT YOU'LL HAVE TO
RELY ON THE SUPPORT FROM THE COMMUNITY.

PEOPLE LIKE YOU HAVE GONE THROUGH THIS BEFORE AND THEY WILL BE ABLE TO HELP.

SHOULD YOU NEED ANYTHING DONE FROM US WE'LL HAVE TO CHARGE A NOMINAL FEE OF
$50 PER HOUR.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 12 Oct 2007 20:44:38
GMT G scribed:
;)
If their own doesn't even come close, I wonder how user generated
stuff comes out. ;)

That's why "how it works" isn't a sufficient measure of proficiency.

Date:Sat 06 Oct 2007 11:13:05 PM EDT
THE TOOL IS FREE. UNFORTUNATELY WE ARE NOT IN THE POSITION TO SUPPORT
YOU. THERE ARE HUNDREDS OS USERS; WE COULDNT REALLY DO IT...

IF YOU NEED TO KNOW WHERE TO CLICK, HOW TO DO THIS OR THAT YOU'LL HAVE
TO RELY ON THE SUPPORT FROM THE COMMUNITY.

PEOPLE LIKE YOU HAVE GONE THROUGH THIS BEFORE AND THEY WILL BE ABLE TO
HELP.

SHOULD YOU NEED ANYTHING DONE FROM US WE'LL HAVE TO CHARGE A NOMINAL
FEE OF $50 PER HOUR.

Ah, maybe that's the "deal". -Pick up some 50s here and there from the
novices who get "tied up in their underwear" trying to make their page
"go". Also, encouraging people to "enlist" under the auspices of a demo-
request is rather dubious advice methinks.

In any event, the markup should definitely be standards-correct when
"offering public services" - particularly in the manner they chose to do
so.