need some advice

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Ben, May 20, 2006.

  1. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Hi,

    I come from classic asp and i need some advice for this application.
    It's about a computer reservation system in a school. I want a page where a
    student can see his own made reservations, the number and the date of each
    reservation, and where he can check a checkbox beside each reservations to
    cancel it (or them).
    Those data are in a database. I use aspnet 2.0.

    What i would like is a table with four cells (one for each field + one for a
    chekbox).

    I tried different things, like creating a table in test.aspx file and then
    adding rows in test.aspx.vb file, like this:
    (in test.aspx file)
    <asp:Table id="Table1" runat="server"/>

    (in test.aspx.vb)
    sql = "select ... "
    dtreader = comd.ExecuteReader
    For j = 0 To numberofrec - 1
    dtreader.Read()
    r = New TableRow()
    For i = 0 To numberoffield - 1
    c = New TableCell()
    f = dtreader.GetValue(i)
    c.Text() = f
    r.Cells.Add(c)
    Next i
    table1.Rows.Add(r)
    Next j

    This works, but it's only showing the reservations.
    My idea was now to create each row a checkbox with as ID the reservation
    number, and then in test.aspx and in JavaScript, posting a form to a file
    that delete the checked records.
    But if i do (in test.aspx.vb):
    ch = new checkbox
    page.controls.add(ch)
    i get :"The Controls collection cannot be modified because the control
    contains code blocks (i.e. <% ... %>). "
    And how to put the checkbox into the fourth cell?

    So is there a better approach for this? What should be in test.aspx and what
    in test.aspx.vb?
    I did it with classic asp (with javascript). An solution would be to put the
    whole asp file in test.aspx and drop test.aspx.vb, but then why is aspnet
    good for?

    Thanks for any advices.
    Ben

    Ben, May 20, 2006