Need some help using Rinda or RingyDingy between Linux / Windows Machines

HH

I've search far and wide and I haven't found very much information on
this - I'm running a Rinda ringserver on a linux box and I'm trying to
find the ring from a Windows box. From what I was able to read - I
think the problem is related to the linux server being able to respond
to the request from the windows box.

Has anyone been able to find a solution to this? I'd love to be able
to run RingyDingy on the linux box and have clients on a windows box
find the ringserver.

It's not a firewall issue as I've already shut off the firewall. Is
there a way to force rinda to name services using IP addresses instead
of the computer names? I think that may help.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here's a few pieces of information that highlight the same issue I'm
having:

=======================
I think I found the problem, and it is not the firewall.

When the client send an advertisement to find a Ring server, it sends
in
the broadcast packet the URL of its own DRb service, like
"druby://machine1:xxx". Now, the Rinda server on the Windows machine
was
able to find an IP for the name machine1 (through some other mean than
DNS), but the Linux box didn't (because the DNS server is hardly in
sync
with the Windows stuff) and couldn't respond.

Entering the proper DNS information, et voila, they find each other.

If only I could convince the local Windows sysadmin to do something
about this DNS issue, it would be great...

Thanks for your time,
Guillaume.
==========================

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Henry

Eric Hodel

I've search far and wide and I haven't found very much information on
this - I'm running a Rinda ringserver on a linux box and I'm trying to
find the ring from a Windows box. From what I was able to read - I
think the problem is related to the linux server being able to respond
to the request from the windows box.

Has anyone been able to find a solution to this? I'd love to be able
to run RingyDingy on the linux box and have clients on a windows box
find the ringserver.

It's not a firewall issue as I've already shut off the firewall. Is
there a way to force rinda to name services using IP addresses instead
of the computer names? I think that may help.

Yes, remove all DNS capabilities from all your computers, including
the hostnames.
Any help would be appreciated.

Here's a few pieces of information that highlight the same issue I'm
having:
I think I found the problem, and it is not the firewall.

[...]

Entering the proper DNS information, et voila, they find each other.

If only I could convince the local Windows sysadmin to do something
about this DNS issue, it would be great...

Any ideas?

The two primary problems are:

a) incomplete DNS
b) connecting via IPv6 instead of IPv4

Fixing these will fix all your problems.