Need some hints before starting to change a page

Corobori

Hi,

I have got a page I need to improve as far as speed is concerned. This
page is THE page of that website: where the classified ads are shown.
So far it's written in "traditional" ASP and I want to speed up
converting it in ASPX. Here is a screen shot of the page:
http://www.corobori.com/sos/picaviso.jpg. You also can see the complete
picture of the site here: http://conce.mejoresdatos.cl

Disregarding the top banner, this page, in a frame, is divided in
various parts, the 1st row shows 3 ads randomly choosen from a table,
inside a table they are 6 rows of 4 ads with the paging, Google AdSense
on the right and at the botton a table for the search part.

My main worry is how to the 6x4 tables where the ads are shown
considering that each row takes its data from 4 different records. In
the current version I have an array which I am feeding when reading the
rows and when I reach the 4 ads I write the complete row, so I reckon
it can be done much better. Performance is an issue here I need to
improve this; there is no edit involved but paging is required. What
should I use then ? DataGrid, Datalist or Repeater ? Or other ?

Jean-Luc
www.corobori.com

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

If you're concerned about performance, one of the biggest improvements you
can make is to turn off the datagrid's viewstate. That saves tons of
overhead.

Also, you'll want to put the data in the cache to reduce the number of data
accesses. Those data accesses should be to done by a single stored procedure
that fetches from all the tables.