Need some pointers on how i can accomplish my idea for a website

Discussion in 'HTML' started by agentc0re, Oct 22, 2008.

  1. agentc0re

    agentc0re Guest

    The idea that I'm trying to archive is, lets say for example i wanted
    a taskbar style at the bottom of my page. One of the buttons i would
    want to act very similar to how the "start" button works for windows.
    You'd click on it, get the menu, go to the submenu and see your
    option. I'd actually be trying to get it to look very much like how
    KDE 3.5 looks. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that I will
    probably need to know javascript to be able to get something like that
    that acts very dynamic. Any pointers on things i can focus more on
    learning (if it is java or whatever it is) would be the best of
    help.

    Also, the other thing is that lets say you've clicked on my "start"
    menu selected Multimedia and in there selected an app, IE GTKPOD.
    Once you click on it, it would open a box in the browser. Not another
    tab, or another browser session but a box. I've seen them used when
    you want to see a larger preview of a picture. They usually only show
    a close button if your mouse is highlighted over them. And in that
    window you would go through pictures that would be steps on how to use
    the program.

    I know this kind of post might stray away some because it might take
    more than just a few words to tell me what i should be looking to
    learn but thats all i'm really after. Really any help would be very
    awesome! :D

    agentc0re, Oct 22, 2008

  2. agentc0re

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    agentc0re <> wrote:

    > The idea that I'm trying to archive is, lets say for example i wanted
    > a taskbar style at the bottom of my page. One of the buttons i would
    > want to act very similar to how the "start" button works for windows.

    Remember that people would not know about the bottom of your page till
    they got there unless you somehow told them at the top of the page. You
    might as well provide a facility at the top while you are at it. perhaps
    a dropdown menu might suit you. Google up Suckerfish.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 22, 2008

  3. agentc0re

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 21:24:48 -0700 (PDT), agentc0re
    <> wrote:

    >The idea that I'm trying to archive is, lets say for example i wanted
    >a taskbar style at the bottom of my page. One of the buttons i would
    >want to act very similar to how the "start" button works for windows.
    >You'd click on it, get the menu, go to the submenu and see your
    >option. I'd actually be trying to get it to look very much like how
    >KDE 3.5 looks. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that I will
    >probably need to know javascript to be able to get something like that
    >that acts very dynamic. Any pointers on things i can focus more on
    >learning (if it is java or whatever it is) would be the best of
    >help.
    >
    >Also, the other thing is that lets say you've clicked on my "start"
    >menu selected Multimedia and in there selected an app, IE GTKPOD.
    >Once you click on it, it would open a box in the browser. Not another
    >tab, or another browser session but a box. I've seen them used when
    >you want to see a larger preview of a picture. They usually only show
    >a close button if your mouse is highlighted over them. And in that
    >window you would go through pictures that would be steps on how to use
    >the program.
    >
    >I know this kind of post might stray away some because it might take
    >more than just a few words to tell me what i should be looking to
    >learn but thats all i'm really after. Really any help would be very
    >awesome! :D

    Nothing new actually.
    Best if you put the "start" button on the top part of the page.
    What if my screen doesn't show your bottom?
    It will always show the top.

    Now have fun and spend lots of time looking for stuff like javascript
    menus and navigation systems.
    I did and found something I could use on one site purely by accident.

    But be warned, many of the top notch script sites are ancient and the
    scripts may or may not work on today's browsers. Trust me, if you can
    think of it, it's already out there.

    Of course, you can spend the next five years learning the script and
    do it yourself.

    BTW, java is totally different from javascript.

    richard, Oct 22, 2008
  4. agentc0re

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 21 Oct 2008, agentc0re <> wrote:

    > The idea that I'm trying to archive is, lets say for example i wanted
    > a taskbar style at the bottom of my page. One of the buttons i would
    > want to act very similar to how the "start" button works for windows.
    > You'd click on it, get the menu, go to the submenu and see your
    > option. I'd actually be trying to get it to look very much like how
    > KDE 3.5 looks. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that I will
    > probably need to know javascript to be able to get something like that
    > that acts very dynamic. Any pointers on things i can focus more on
    > learning (if it is java or whatever it is) would be the best of
    > help.
    >
    > Also, the other thing is that lets say you've clicked on my "start"
    > menu selected Multimedia and in there selected an app, IE GTKPOD.
    > Once you click on it, it would open a box in the browser. Not another
    > tab, or another browser session but a box. I've seen them used when
    > you want to see a larger preview of a picture. They usually only show
    > a close button if your mouse is highlighted over them. And in that
    > window you would go through pictures that would be steps on how to use
    > the program.
    >
    > I know this kind of post might stray away some because it might take
    > more than just a few words to tell me what i should be looking to
    > learn but thats all i'm really after. Really any help would be very
    > awesome! :D

    You can create a bottom, always-showing bar with css. The dynamic stuff
    you want probably does require javascript although some dynamic actions
    can be done via php scripting as well. IE 6 will most likely require
    special solutions for it to function similar to more modern browsers.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/

    Neredbojias, Oct 22, 2008
  5. agentc0re

    agentc0re Guest

    On Oct 21, 10:51 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    > agentc0re <> wrote:
    > > The idea that I'm trying to archive is, lets say for example i wanted
    > > a taskbar style at the bottom of my page. One of the buttons i would
    > > want to act very similar to how the "start" button works for windows.

    > Remember that people would not know about the bottom of your page till
    > they got there unless you somehow told them at the top of the page. You
    > might as well provide a facility at the top while you are at it. perhaps
    > a dropdown menu might suit you. Google up Suckerfish.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    From the research i've done so far, suckerfish sounds like what i'd
    need to pull off a startmenu.
    I also found a cool script called, lightbox2. Thats exactly what i
    was looking for once you click on an item from the start menu to go to
    the howto section of screen captures.

    I think a problem that i'm going to run into is that when i started
    out thinking about this i bought my domain through google when i
    signed up for google apps/google sites. I don't think i'm going to be
    able to accomplish any of this using google sites. Can i get some
    suggestions of a good place for webhosting? I know i can search for
    any, but i figure that most of you have been around the block and know
    all the good, hidden ones. :)

    agentc0re, Oct 23, 2008