Need someone with excessive HTML experience!

Mat K.

Hey, My names Mat, and I recently decided to start my own site. I know
HTML, but completely useless with Tables, Dreamwaver and Frontpage. So I
need someone to put my layout into HTML. Thanks...

Andy Holmes

Mat said:
Hey, My names Mat, and I recently decided to start my own site. I know
HTML, but completely useless with Tables, Dreamwaver and Frontpage. So I
need someone to put my layout into HTML. Thanks...

If you ask specific questions you will get answers and learn through
experience. I seriously doubt anyone here will go to the trouble of
rewriting your site for free just because you're too lazy or don't want
to put the time into learning things yourself.

-Andy

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Wed, 15 Oct 2003 18:43:50 -0400, Mat K. is reported to have
stated:
Hey,
G'day.

My names Mat, and I recently decided to start my own site. I know
HTML, but completely useless with Tables,

Aren't tables part of HTML?
Dreamwaver and Frontpage. So I

No great loss there.
need someone to put my layout into HTML. Thanks...

No, you need to learn CSS (layout is presentation, so shouldn't be done in
HTML) so you can do the layout yourself. :)

EightNineThree

Mat K. said:
Hey, My names Mat, and I recently decided to start my own site. I know
HTML, but completely useless with Tables, Dreamwaver and Frontpage. So I
need someone to put my layout into HTML. Thanks...

How much are you willing to pay?

--
Karl Core

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid.
Friedrich Nietzsche

eightninethree AT eightninethree.com

Hywel Jenkins

Mat K. said:
Hey, My names Mat, and I recently decided to start my own site. I know
HTML, but completely useless with Tables, Dreamwaver and Frontpage.

When you decided to start your own site did you consider how you'd get
it online? Seems bizarre to decide to do this without committing
yourself to figuring out how to do it.

Davmagic .Com

From: (e-mail address removed)
(Mat K.)
Hey, My names Mat, and I recently
decided to start my own site. I know
HTML, but completely useless with
Tables, Dreamwaver and Frontpage. So I
need someone to put my layout into
HTML. Thanks...

Here you go, Mat... ignore the other posters in this thread (they are
predjudice against anything that is not "book-learned web design")...

Read thru my Design Series, start here: http://davmagic.com/PAGES22.html
and use the menus conviently located in several places on each page to
navigate around...

For layout use tables (millions of top-notch website use tables,
contrary to what the so-call "experts" in this NG say about it, for
layout)... look here for help on that: http://davmagic.com/PAGES47.html

Feel free to contact us for help via the contact pages available... Good
Luck!

Web Design-Magic-Painting-Junking-Games
INFO 2000 For You
http://www.davmagic.com
See how your webpages look on a MSN-TV Browser:
Download it here: http://developer.msntv.com/Tools/msntvvwr.asp

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (e-mail address removed) (Davmagic .Com)
writing in
Here you go, Mat... ignore the other posters in this thread (they are
predjudice against anything that is not "book-learned web design")...

I doubt that the posters in this thread are completely "book-learned" as a
lot of books are outdated. I'm sure most of us have learned from
experience and from eachother.
Read thru my Design Series, start here: http://davmagic.com/PAGES22.html
and use the menus conviently located in several places on each page to
navigate around...

For layout use tables (millions of top-notch website use tables,
contrary to what the so-call "experts" in this NG say about it, for
layout)... look here for help on that: http://davmagic.com/PAGES47.html

If you know that ALL of your visitors are going to be using WebTV (MSN-TV)
then, by all means, follow the above.

However, if you don't know what browser your visitors are going to use,
then tables really should be used for tabular data, not for layout. Many
reasons:
1. Difficult to debug
2. Slower load time because of the additional elements
3. Not able to position
4. Creates problems for some speech browsers

Davmagic .Com

From: (e-mail address removed) (Adrienne)
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed If
you know that ALL of your visitors are
going to be using WebTV (MSN-TV) then,
by all means, follow the above.

If you know what browsers YOU want to satisfy, then use the layout
mechanism that does the job, be it tables or CSS-P
However, if you don't know what browser
your visitors are going to use, then tables
really should be used for tabular data, not
for layout. Many reasons:

Wrong... tables will satisfy far more current browsers than CSS-P
will...
1. Difficult to debug

I have no problem, because I use comments to aid in structuring the
layout...
2. Slower load time because of the
additional elements

Nope, loading is fast enough and depends on other factors much more...
3. Not able to position

Wrong... tables can accurately position...
4. Creates problems for some speech
browsers

HA! ...CSS-P creates some problems for L O T S of browsers!

Web Design-Magic-Painting-Junking-Games
INFO 2000 For You
http://www.davmagic.com
See how your webpages look on a MSN-TV Browser:
Download it here: http://developer.msntv.com/Tools/msntvvwr.asp

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Davmagic .Com pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
Here you go, Mat... ignore the other posters in this thread (they are
predjudice against anything that is not "book-learned web design")...

Read thru my Design Series, start here: http://davmagic.com/PAGES22.html
and use the menus conviently located in several places on each page to
navigate around...

Please, Mat, if you are over the age of twelve, start somewhere with a
good tutorial. Perhaps:
http://www.w3schools.com/

Matthias Gutfeldt

Davmagic said:
If you know what browsers YOU want to satisfy, then use the layout
mechanism that does the job, be it tables or CSS-P

It's not about satisfying a browser, it's about satisfying the visitor.

And we all know how hard it is to satisfy someone (wink wink, nudge
nudge, say no more).

Matthias

Treetop

I have taught several how to code HTML with the following guide:
Well, chalk another one up to Flavell's law.
What a massive clusterfuck...
Beg your pardon? You don't care for the NCSA site?

Toby A Inkster

http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/General/Internet/WWW/HTMLPrimer.html
Beg your pardon? You don't care for the NCSA site?

I tend to agree with you -- it's mainly good. There are still a few
problems with it though

- encourages table-based layouts. the primer seems a little
dated, so arguably this can be excused as most browsers did
not support much CSS positioning back then.

- weird terminology -- for example, talks of "logic styling"
vs "physical styling" when it really means "semantic markup"
vs "presentational markup".

EightNineThree

Treetop said:
Beg your pardon? You don't care for the NCSA site?

Well, I sure think it'd be a good idea for a "tutorial" on HTML to actually
use proper HTML
Take a look at the source on that page and you tell me if it sets a good
example.