    Hey, My names Mat, and I recently decided to start my own site. I know
    HTML, but completely useless with Tables, Dreamwaver and Frontpage. So I
    need someone to put my layout into HTML. Thanks...

    Mat K., Oct 15, 2003

  2. Mat K.

    Andy Holmes Guest

    Mat K. wrote:
    > Hey, My names Mat, and I recently decided to start my own site. I know
    > HTML, but completely useless with Tables, Dreamwaver and Frontpage. So I
    > need someone to put my layout into HTML. Thanks...

    If you ask specific questions you will get answers and learn through
    experience. I seriously doubt anyone here will go to the trouble of
    rewriting your site for free just because you're too lazy or don't want
    to put the time into learning things yourself.

    -Andy

    Andy Holmes, Oct 16, 2003

  3. Mat K.

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Sometime around Wed, 15 Oct 2003 18:43:50 -0400, Mat K. is reported to have
    stated:

    > Hey,

    G'day.

    > My names Mat, and I recently decided to start my own site. I know
    > HTML, but completely useless with Tables,

    Aren't tables part of HTML?

    > Dreamwaver and Frontpage. So I

    No great loss there.

    > need someone to put my layout into HTML. Thanks...

    No, you need to learn CSS (layout is presentation, so shouldn't be done in
    HTML) so you can do the layout yourself. :)

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Oct 16, 2003
  4. "Mat K." <> wrote in message
    > Hey, My names Mat, and I recently decided to start my own site. I know
    > HTML, but completely useless with Tables, Dreamwaver and Frontpage. So I
    > need someone to put my layout into HTML. Thanks...

    How much are you willing to pay?

    --
    Karl Core

    At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
    cease to be insipid.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

    eightninethree AT eightninethree.com

    EightNineThree, Oct 16, 2003
  5. "Mat K." <> wrote in message news:<O4kjb.7834$>...
    > Hey, My names Mat, and I recently decided to start my own site. I know
    > HTML, but completely useless with Tables, Dreamwaver and Frontpage.

    When you decided to start your own site did you consider how you'd get
    it online? Seems bizarre to decide to do this without committing
    yourself to figuring out how to do it.

    --
    Hywel

    Hywel Jenkins, Oct 16, 2003

  6. >From:
    >(Mat K.)
    >Hey, My names Mat, and I recently
    >decided to start my own site. I know
    >HTML, but completely useless with
    >Tables, Dreamwaver and Frontpage. So I
    >need someone to put my layout into
    >HTML. Thanks...

    Here you go, Mat... ignore the other posters in this thread (they are
    predjudice against anything that is not "book-learned web design")...

    Read thru my Design Series, start here: http://davmagic.com/PAGES22.html
    and use the menus conviently located in several places on each page to
    navigate around...

    For layout use tables (millions of top-notch website use tables,
    contrary to what the so-call "experts" in this NG say about it, for
    layout)... look here for help on that: http://davmagic.com/PAGES47.html

    Feel free to contact us for help via the contact pages available... Good
    Luck!

    Web Design-Magic-Painting-Junking-Games
    INFO 2000 For You
    http://www.davmagic.com
    See how your webpages look on a MSN-TV Browser:
    Download it here: http://developer.msntv.com/Tools/msntvvwr.asp

    Davmagic .Com, Oct 16, 2003
  7. Mat K.

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (Davmagic .Com)
    writing in news::

    >>From:
    >>(Mat K.)
    >>Hey, My names Mat, and I recently
    >>decided to start my own site. I know
    >>HTML, but completely useless with
    >>Tables, Dreamwaver and Frontpage. So I
    >>need someone to put my layout into
    >>HTML. Thanks...

    > Here you go, Mat... ignore the other posters in this thread (they are
    > predjudice against anything that is not "book-learned web design")...

    I doubt that the posters in this thread are completely "book-learned" as a
    lot of books are outdated. I'm sure most of us have learned from
    experience and from eachother.

    > Read thru my Design Series, start here: http://davmagic.com/PAGES22.html
    > and use the menus conviently located in several places on each page to
    > navigate around...
    >
    > For layout use tables (millions of top-notch website use tables,
    > contrary to what the so-call "experts" in this NG say about it, for
    > layout)... look here for help on that: http://davmagic.com/PAGES47.html

    If you know that ALL of your visitors are going to be using WebTV (MSN-TV)
    then, by all means, follow the above.

    However, if you don't know what browser your visitors are going to use,
    then tables really should be used for tabular data, not for layout. Many
    reasons:
    1. Difficult to debug
    2. Slower load time because of the additional elements
    3. Not able to position
    4. Creates problems for some speech browsers

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Oct 16, 2003

  8. >From: (Adrienne)
    >Gazing into my crystal ball I observed If
    >you know that ALL of your visitors are
    >going to be using WebTV (MSN-TV) then,
    >by all means, follow the above.

    If you know what browsers YOU want to satisfy, then use the layout
    mechanism that does the job, be it tables or CSS-P

    >However, if you don't know what browser
    >your visitors are going to use, then tables
    >really should be used for tabular data, not
    >for layout. Many reasons:

    Wrong... tables will satisfy far more current browsers than CSS-P
    will...

    >1. Difficult to debug

    I have no problem, because I use comments to aid in structuring the
    layout...

    >2. Slower load time because of the
    >additional elements

    Nope, loading is fast enough and depends on other factors much more...

    >3. Not able to position

    Wrong... tables can accurately position...

    >4. Creates problems for some speech
    >browsers

    HA! ...CSS-P creates some problems for L O T S of browsers!

    Davmagic .Com, Oct 17, 2003
  9. Davmagic .Com pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:

    > >From:
    > >(Mat K.)
    > >Hey, My names Mat, and I recently
    > >decided to start my own site. I know
    > >HTML, but completely useless with
    > >Tables, Dreamwaver and Frontpage. So I
    > >need someone to put my layout into
    > >HTML. Thanks...

    > Here you go, Mat... ignore the other posters in this thread (they are
    > predjudice against anything that is not "book-learned web design")...
    >
    > Read thru my Design Series, start here: http://davmagic.com/PAGES22.html
    > and use the menus conviently located in several places on each page to
    > navigate around...

    Please, Mat, if you are over the age of twelve, start somewhere with a
    good tutorial. Perhaps:
    http://www.w3schools.com/

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 17, 2003
  10. Davmagic .Com, Oct 17, 2003
  11. Toby A Inkster, Oct 17, 2003
  12. Davmagic .Com wrote:
    >>From: (Adrienne)
    >>Gazing into my crystal ball I observed If
    >>you know that ALL of your visitors are
    >>going to be using WebTV (MSN-TV) then,
    >>by all means, follow the above.

    > If you know what browsers YOU want to satisfy, then use the layout
    > mechanism that does the job, be it tables or CSS-P

    It's not about satisfying a browser, it's about satisfying the visitor.

    And we all know how hard it is to satisfy someone (wink wink, nudge
    nudge, say no more).

    Matthias

    Matthias Gutfeldt, Oct 17, 2003
  13. Mat K.

    Treetop Guest

    > Mat K. wrote:
    >
    > > Hey, My names Mat, and I recently decided to start my own site. I

    know
    > > HTML, but completely useless with Tables, Dreamwaver and

    Frontpage. So I
    > > need someone to put my layout into HTML. Thanks...

    > As Beauregard said, http://www.w3schools.com/ is a great reference.
    >
    > I'll also put in a mention for my own (unfinished) HTML tutorial:
    > http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?id=150

    I have taught several how to code HTML with the following guide:

    http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/General/Internet/WWW/HTMLPrimer.html

    In fact this was the first guide I ever used to create HTML pages.

    Treetop, Oct 17, 2003
  14. "Treetop" <> wrote in message
    > > Mat K. wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hey, My names Mat, and I recently decided to start my own site. I

    > know
    > > > HTML, but completely useless with Tables, Dreamwaver and

    > Frontpage. So I
    > > > need someone to put my layout into HTML. Thanks...

    > > As Beauregard said, http://www.w3schools.com/ is a great reference.
    > >
    > > I'll also put in a mention for my own (unfinished) HTML tutorial:
    > > http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?id=150
    > >

    > I have taught several how to code HTML with the following guide:
    >
    > http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/General/Internet/WWW/HTMLPrimer.html

    Well, chalk another one up to Flavell's law.
    What a massive clusterfuck...

    EightNineThree, Oct 17, 2003
  15. Mat K.

    Treetop Guest

    Treetop, Oct 17, 2003
  16. Mat K.

    kayodeok Guest

    kayodeok, Oct 17, 2003
  17. >>> http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/General/Internet/WWW/HTMLPrimer.html

    >> Well, chalk another one up to Flavell's law.
    >> What a massive clusterfuck...

    > Beg your pardon? You don't care for the NCSA site?

    I tend to agree with you -- it's mainly good. There are still a few
    problems with it though

    - encourages table-based layouts. the primer seems a little
    dated, so arguably this can be excused as most browsers did
    not support much CSS positioning back then.

    - weird terminology -- for example, talks of "logic styling"
    vs "physical styling" when it really means "semantic markup"
    vs "presentational markup".

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Oct 17, 2003
  18. "Treetop" <> wrote in message
    > > > I have taught several how to code HTML with the following guide:
    > > >
    > > > http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/General/Internet/WWW/HTMLPrimer.html
    > > >

    > > Well, chalk another one up to Flavell's law.
    > > What a massive clusterfuck...
    > > --
    > > Karl Core
    > >

    > Beg your pardon? You don't care for the NCSA site?

    Well, I sure think it'd be a good idea for a "tutorial" on HTML to actually
    use proper HTML
    Take a look at the source on that page and you tell me if it sets a good
    example.

    EightNineThree, Oct 17, 2003