Need suggestion for C++ project

Gunnar G

Hi. I'm sorry for this somewhat off-topic message, but since this is the
best place to find clever C++ programmers with a lot of wisdom.

What I need is suggestions for a C++ project that takes about a week or two
to complete, and where you really see the advantage with OO (inheritance,
polymorphism etc.).
Most ideas I have are easily done by creating a rather large struct that
takes care of everything.

Any idea might be a good one.

Thanks,
Gunnar.

benben

Hi. I'm sorry for this somewhat off-topic message, but since this is the
best place to find clever C++ programmers with a lot of wisdom.

What I need is suggestions for a C++ project that takes about a week or two
to complete, and where you really see the advantage with OO (inheritance,
polymorphism etc.).
Most ideas I have are easily done by creating a rather large struct that
takes care of everything.

If so, you can start by refactoring your existing projects.

dwaach

Gunnar said:
Hi. I'm sorry for this somewhat off-topic message, but since this is the
best place to find clever C++ programmers with a lot of wisdom.

What I need is suggestions for a C++ project that takes about a week or two
to complete, and where you really see the advantage with OO (inheritance,
polymorphism etc.).
Most ideas I have are easily done by creating a rather large struct that
takes care of everything.

Any idea might be a good one.

Thanks,
Gunnar.

Hi,
Nomber of weeks or days dont relate to the time you shall give to
project, depends on how many hours you code everyday.

By your description, its very difficult to tell you a decent topic.
also you havent specified any taste like GUI, Networking, Database etc.

However here are few good topics
1> Webgrabber -> Grabs links and images from any URL you specify.,as
console application

2> Collabration -> Makes any application network pro. Like you specify
application path and any number of people can use it on network working
on same sheet or file.

3> 2D-3d -> Converts any 2d layout into 3D, GUI

4> CrossOS -> Enables to access file in an explorer like format from
any OS to any OS.[tough one]

5> Yahoo ! child -> Works in background when Yahoo ! Messenger is
running and shows runtime information about how many IP's are
connected, trying to connect and what files/data is beign tranferred.

[Note: all are my personal suggestions, and dont nvolve any copyright
issues]

Hope you starrt working on them soon...
Need more suggestions, drop me an email.

Bye
Dwaach

Gunnar G

By your description, its very difficult to tell you a decent topic.
also you havent specified any taste like GUI, Networking, Database etc.
Sorry, it should be with a console interface, text-only. networking might be
possible to use.

dwaach

then try building windows versions of Unix programs, like awk, grep
etc.

Here you shall get two benefits,
1> Learn and practice UNIX flavors of highly acclaimed console
applications.
2> Portability and dveelopment issues on Windows OS.

Wat do you say ?

Try out some docs of well known UNIX commands...

Dwaach

Karl Heinz Buchegger

Gunnar said:
Hi. I'm sorry for this somewhat off-topic message, but since this is the
best place to find clever C++ programmers with a lot of wisdom.

What I need is suggestions for a C++ project that takes about a week or two
to complete, and where you really see the advantage with OO (inheritance,
polymorphism etc.).
Most ideas I have are easily done by creating a rather large struct that
takes care of everything.

Any idea might be a good one.

The problem is, that with such small projects you usually don't see
any benefit in using OO. Quite the contrary: it often looks like a lot
of overhead.
The beauty of OO kicks in, when projects get larger.

But anyway: Somthing that can't be done with the very same beauty in a non
OO language is everything that involves virtual functions. While it is true
that the mechanism of virtual functions can easily be rebuild with function
pointers, the way C++ handles them is much easier to understand.

benben

Gunnar G said:
Hi. I'm sorry for this somewhat off-topic message, but since this is the
best place to find clever C++ programmers with a lot of wisdom.

What I need is suggestions for a C++ project that takes about a week or two
to complete, and where you really see the advantage with OO (inheritance,
polymorphism etc.).
Most ideas I have are easily done by creating a rather large struct that
takes care of everything.

Any idea might be a good one.

Thanks,
Gunnar.

Well, you can also write yourself a backup utility, which covers a range of
different contents (file, email, contact book, settings, etc.) Great for
demonstrating OO.

ben

Default User

Gunnar said:
Hi. I'm sorry for this somewhat off-topic message, but since this is
the best place to find clever C++ programmers with a lot of wisdom.

What I need is suggestions for a C++ project that takes about a week
or two to complete, and where you really see the advantage with OO
(inheritance, polymorphism etc.).
Most ideas I have are easily done by creating a rather large struct
that takes care of everything.

I usually suggest text adventure games, ala Zork. As manipulating
objects is essentially what they do, the OO approach is a natural. With
only a few weeks to devote (not sure how many hours you plan) the game
would be small and simple, but expandable later (good student project
reuse candidate!).

Brian