Need suggestions for C links.

Netocrat

I wouldn't want the suite to be part of the standard. Again, I'm biased
by my experience with the Ada validation suite. That suite is not part
of the standard, and where a test conflicts with the standard, the
standard wins.

That's fine everywhere the Standard is well-specified, which isn't the
case for 5.2.4 where a uniform test can't rely on a universal "one
program".

[...]
A validation suite is also a valuable tool for compiler developers. If
you introduce an obscure bug, there's a decent chance that you'll catch
it next time you run the validation tests.

Sure; as Chris Hills points out there are several commercial suites in
existence. Looking very briefly at what's publicly available I've found
a set of tests with gcc's source (some non-standard) and a set of
preprocessor validation tests accompanying MCPP (which I haven't
downloaded or looked at but which are promoted as comprehensive).

Chris Hills

CBFalconer said:
Which effectively limits you to the gcc test suite

No it doesn't there are others.
which, AFAIK, is
not especially geared to standards compliance nor to generality.
All others are proprietary, again AFAIK.

How are they any more proprietary than the GCC one?

Keith Thompson

Chris Hills said:
(e-mail address removed)> writes [...]
In the Ada community, passing the validation suite is considered the
*minimal* criterion for acceptance. Validation doesn't imply good
quality. (Since the Ada language is larger than C, validation against
the standard is probably more significant for Ada than it would be for
C.)

A validation suite is also a valuable tool for compiler developers.
If you introduce an obscure bug, there's a decent chance that you'll
catch it next time you run the validation tests.

So go out and use the ones that exist already.

If I were a compiler developer, I might.

My only point is that Ada's validation suite, which is freely
available and is designed only to test conformance to the standard, is
a good thing, and something similar for C would also be a good thing.
I fully recognize that it may not be practical to develop such a
thing.

in comp.lang.c i read:
Chris Hills wrote:

Certainly you can. You just don't publish it. The sole advantage
of PDF over HTML is that it can fairly easily embody diagrams. It
has a major disadvantage in that it will not adapt to the viewers
convenience. HTML has the major advantage that it is fundamentally
text, and thus is viewable, searchable, editable, and useful.

ha! if text vs rendered is the debate, i'll take the roff source any day,
over the output.

Micah Cowan

CBFalconer said:
Certainly you can. You just don't publish it. The sole advantage
of PDF over HTML is that it can fairly easily embody diagrams. It
has a major disadvantage in that it will not adapt to the viewers
convenience.

Not will not or cannot. Usually does not.

It is quite possible to write PDF that does adapt in that way (tagged content).
HTML has the major advantage that it is fundamentally
text, and thus is viewable, searchable, editable, and useful.
^^^^^^

Is that last supposed to be, as opposed to PDF? :)