Need to be able for buttons to keep track of each other

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by bob, May 3, 2004.

  1. bob

    bob Guest

    I am just getting into web programming. I am using VB ASP.NET. I have
    multiple buttons on my form.
    When a person clicks on one of imgagebuttons, I want a accumulated counter
    for each time a button is clicked, and when 2 different imagebuttons are
    clicked, I want them compared to see if the images are the same, how do I do
    this? I tried making the variables public, but I think I am having problems
    with viewstate in which I am not using besides the property being true.

    TIA
    ..
    Here the code behind one of the buttons:

    ncount += 1 'this is suppose to count how many buttons are pushed.

    If ncount < 3 Then

    ImageButton2.ImageUrl = newimage

    Select Case ncount

    Case 1

    b(1) = ImageButton2.ImageUrl

    Case 2

    b(2) = ImageButton2.ImageUrl

    ncount = 0 ' reset the count because only 1 or 2 buttons_

    'be pushed at 1 time.

    If b(1) = b(2) Then

    'Messagebox("Correct")

    correct += 1

    lblNumberCorrect.Text = Str(correct)

    lblifCorrect.Text = "Correct"

    Else

    incorrect += 1

    lblNumberIncorrect.text = Str(incorrect)

    lblifcorrect.Text = "InCorrect"

    End If

    ncount = 0

    End Select

    End If
    bob, May 3, 2004

  2. bob

    Natty Gur Guest

    Hi,

    Pages are stateless, they create for each request and destroyed when
    request ended (HTML send to client). This mean that you need to preserve
    your data between pages calls (every click on server control button
    cause postback that generate request to the server).

    You can preserve your data on the server using Session or on the client
    by using ViewState. You can add items to view state and they will be
    send to the client and back to server in every postback.

    HTH

    Natty Gur[MVP]

    blog : http://weblogs.asp.net/ngur
    Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377