Need to borrow your brain for large <table>

Discussion in 'Java' started by RC, Dec 6, 2005.

  1. RC

    RC Guest

    Dear Dudes,

    I post this in multiple groups for opening brain storm.

    Sometime I need to query the data from database server then display them
    into user's browser in HTML <table>. But if the <table> is very LARGE,
    let's say 20 columns, hundreds rows. Usually you have header <th> tags
    on 1st (top) row and 1st (most left) column. For a such LARGE <table>.
    you really want:

    1) When scroll the vertical scroll bar, you want the top row header
    <thead> stay in the same position, the rest of rows are move up/down
    (this will include the most left column).

    I am success doing this part.

    2) When you scroll the horizontal scroll bar, you want the most left
    column stay in the same position, the rest of columns are move
    left/right (this will include the top header row).

    I don't know how to do this part, need to borrow your brain for help!
    Thank Q very much in advance!

    You can check out my test page from

    http://amazon.nws.noaa.gov/hads/test/15C2C420.html

    Here is basicly what I do

    <script language="JavaScript">
    var preRow = null;
    function changeRow(thisRow) {
    if (preRow != null)
    preRow.bgColor = "white";
    thisRow.bgColor = "cyan";
    preRow = thisRow;
    }
    </script>
    tbody { max-height: 30em; overflow: auto; }
    th { background-color: lightgrey; }
    th.left { background-color: cyan; }

    <thead>
    </thead>

    <tbody>

    </tbody>

    I prefer doing this by CSS, HTML/DHTML/XDHTML, XML and little
    Javascript. Java <applet> Swing JTable will be last resource,
    because user has different browser, some not support Java 1.x.
    And load large data into *.jar for <applet> will take time.

    I did some Google search, I found two sites doing this by JavaScript.
    But I prefer not to load huge file, run the JavaScript on client site.
    I prefer load plain text HTML from server. Of cource, I'll keep mind
    open use JavaScript grid as 2nd choice.

    Here are those two good sites:

    http://www.activewidgets.com/

    Above site the most left column is label in sequence row number, like
    preadsheet. Not very good.

    http://www.theopensourcery.com/jsgrids.htm
    RC, Dec 6, 2005

  2. RC

    Rhino Guest

    "RC" <> wrote in message
    > Dear Dudes,
    >
    > I post this in multiple groups for opening brain storm.

    Big mistake! It is bad Usenet netiquette to crosspost to many different
    newsgroups on the same problem, especially such diverse ones. The netiquette
    people are going to be all over you....

    > Sometime I need to query the data from database server then display them
    > into user's browser in HTML <table>. But if the <table> is very LARGE,
    > let's say 20 columns, hundreds rows. Usually you have header <th> tags
    > on 1st (top) row and 1st (most left) column. For a such LARGE <table>.
    > you really want:
    >
    > 1) When scroll the vertical scroll bar, you want the top row header
    > <thead> stay in the same position, the rest of rows are move up/down
    > (this will include the most left column).
    >
    > I am success doing this part.
    >
    > 2) When you scroll the horizontal scroll bar, you want the most left
    > column stay in the same position, the rest of columns are move
    > left/right (this will include the top header row).
    >
    > I don't know how to do this part, need to borrow your brain for help!
    > Thank Q very much in advance!
    >
    > You can check out my test page from
    >
    > http://amazon.nws.noaa.gov/hads/test/15C2C420.html
    >
    > Here is basicly what I do

    > <script language="JavaScript">
    > var preRow = null;
    > function changeRow(thisRow) {
    > if (preRow != null)
    > preRow.bgColor = "white";
    > thisRow.bgColor = "cyan";
    > preRow = thisRow;
    > }
    > </script>
    > tbody { max-height: 30em; overflow: auto; }
    > th { background-color: lightgrey; }
    > th.left { background-color: cyan; }

    > <thead>
    > </thead>
    >
    > <tbody>
    >
    > </tbody>
    >
    > I prefer doing this by CSS, HTML/DHTML/XDHTML, XML and little
    > Javascript. Java <applet> Swing JTable will be last resource,
    > because user has different browser, some not support Java 1.x.

    Then I strongly suggest that you keep your problem out of the
    comp.lang.java.* newsgroups until you have thoroughly explored CSS,
    HTML/DHTML/XDHTML, XML and Javascript to see if they can help you with your
    problem.

    I certainly don't want to be bothered trying to show you how this problem
    can be solved via Java if you don't want to use Java in the first place.

    > And load large data into *.jar for <applet> will take time.

    You don't normally load data of the kind you are describing into jars. It is
    much more common to access data from databases like MySQL or DB2 via JDBC,
    rather than storing the data in jars. After all, the data will presumably be
    changing regularly so you will always want to access the "latest and
    greatest" data; the best place to do that is in a database.

    > I did some Google search, I found two sites doing this by JavaScript.
    > But I prefer not to load huge file, run the JavaScript on client site.
    > I prefer load plain text HTML from server. Of cource, I'll keep mind
    > open use JavaScript grid as 2nd choice.
    >
    > Here are those two good sites:
    >
    > http://www.activewidgets.com/
    >
    > Above site the most left column is label in sequence row number, like
    > preadsheet. Not very good.
    >
    > http://www.theopensourcery.com/jsgrids.htm

    I am relatively sure that the behaviour you want can be accomplished fairly
    easily in Java via JTables but I am not going to waste time describing this
    if you don't want to use Java in the first place.

    Why don't you try the other approaches first, then come back to
    comp.lang.java.gui if the other approaches don't work to your satisfaction?

    Rhino
    Rhino, Dec 6, 2005

  3. RC

    RC Guest

    Rhino wrote:

    > You don't normally load data of the kind you are describing into jars. It is
    > much more common to access data from databases like MySQL or DB2 via JDBC,
    > rather than storing the data in jars. After all, the data will presumably be
    > changing regularly so you will always want to access the "latest and
    > greatest" data; the best place to do that is in a database.

    For security reason, you really don't want people direct access your
    database server from <applet>. Prefer use JDBC on server side connect
    to my database server with Tomcat (servlet/jsp).
    RC, Dec 6, 2005
  4. RC

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 10:43:26 -0500, RC <>

    >Sometime I need to query the data from database server then display them
    >into user's browser in HTML <table>. But if the <table> is very LARGE,
    >let's say 20 columns, hundreds rows. Usually you have header <th> tags
    > on 1st (top) row and 1st (most left) column. For a such LARGE <table>.
    >you really want:

    There are ways of doing that with CSS/HTML but they are pretty flaky.
    I tried many of the hacks and gave up because, every browser behaves a
    different way.

    Take the bull by the horns and put an Applet in JAWS app in your
    client with a JTable and a TableModel. Then you can make it do tricks
    like a circus pony.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Dec 6, 2005
  5. RC

    Guest

    Never did it but I suggest:
    Use divs and spilt the table up.

    hook the scroll on div 3 and make it automagically scroll div2 or div1
    as needed.

    Also, close the table every few 100 rows so the browser will go ahead
    and render rather than awaiting the final </table>.

    I second the opinion to use an applet. HTML is fine for simple forms
    and articles. For much else its a hammer (whereas another tool is
    better).

    Cheers,
    TimJowers
    , Dec 6, 2005
  6. RC

    Rhino Guest

    "RC" <> wrote in message
    > Rhino wrote:
    >

    >> You don't normally load data of the kind you are describing into jars. It
    >> is much more common to access data from databases like MySQL or DB2 via
    >> JDBC, rather than storing the data in jars. After all, the data will
    >> presumably be changing regularly so you will always want to access the
    >> "latest and greatest" data; the best place to do that is in a database.

    > For security reason, you really don't want people direct access your
    > database server from <applet>. Prefer use JDBC on server side connect
    > to my database server with Tomcat (servlet/jsp).

    I wouldn't be particularly concerned about _READING_ database data via an
    applet but I'd be a lot more reluctant to let people update the data.
    Fortunately, that is easily prevented via GRANTs and REVOKEs on the database
    side, assuming you are using something SQL based.

    I'd also prefer a servlet to an applet for displaying database data but you
    didn't mention servlets so I assumed you had some reason not to use them.
    But I'm not sure a servlet would help you either; unless you want to use
    something like Struts or something similar to handle the
    displaying/scrolling of the data - and I'm not even sure Struts can do such
    a thing - you'll have trouble getting the scrolling you want.

    If it was me, I'd use an applet and a database for this job. I'm 90+% sure
    that you can get the scrolling you want with a JTable in an applet. The
    following page,
    http://www.esus.com/javaindex/j2se/jdk1.2/javaxswing/editableatomiccontrols/jtable/jtable.html,
    lists
    a variety of JTable techniques; one of the ones you'll need is at the "How
    do I create a JTable with fixed rows?" link and costs nothing. The preceding
    link, "How do I create a JTable with fixed columns?", requires you to buy a
    membership from the website for $15. That might be worth it if you can't
    find the tip somewhere else or infer it from the technique shown for the
    fixed rows technique.

    These tips are a bit dated though, going back to Java 1.2, so you may find
    better techniques if you Google for them or ask at comp.lang.java.gui. Or
    you can use a CSS/HTML/Javascript technique that is probably buggy and very
    sensitive to which browser and browser version you are using. Your call....

    Rhino
    Rhino, Dec 6, 2005
  7. RC

    Chris Smith Guest

    Rhino <> wrote:
    > I wouldn't be particularly concerned about _READING_ database data via an
    > applet but I'd be a lot more reluctant to let people update the data.
    > Fortunately, that is easily prevented via GRANTs and REVOKEs on the database
    > side, assuming you are using something SQL based.

    It's really just silly to talk about "data" this way. Obviously,
    security requirements only exist for SPECIFIC data, not for data in the
    abstract. If the data is my credit card number, then I'd much rather
    that a security hole lets someone overwrite it (update) than read it.

    In any case, whether an applet is sufficient for security depends on two
    things:

    1) Is it acceptable for the database server to accept incoming
    connections from arbitrary IP addresses?

    2) Will clients know their authentication credentials, so that the
    applet doesn't need to contain its own authentication information on the
    client?

    If the answer to either #1 or #2 is "no", then security requirements
    cannot be met, and a different approach is required.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation
    Chris Smith, Dec 6, 2005
  8. RC

    Rhino Guest

    "Chris Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Rhino <> wrote:
    >> I wouldn't be particularly concerned about _READING_ database data via an
    >> applet but I'd be a lot more reluctant to let people update the data.
    >> Fortunately, that is easily prevented via GRANTs and REVOKEs on the
    >> database
    >> side, assuming you are using something SQL based.

    > It's really just silly to talk about "data" this way. Obviously,
    > security requirements only exist for SPECIFIC data, not for data in the
    > abstract. If the data is my credit card number, then I'd much rather
    > that a security hole lets someone overwrite it (update) than read it.

    Agreed! In that specific case, of course you wouldn't want people to read
    and wouldn't care too much about updating.

    In most cases though, at least the ones I had in mind where you are dealing
    with some sort of innocuous information like products available for sale at
    a website, you aren't likely to want any prohibitions against reading but
    would certainly want to prevent inserts, updates and deletes. That is the
    sort of situation I had in mind. I suppose I should have been more specific
    and said that. It didn't occur to me though because it didn't sound like the
    original poster's data was something like credit card numbers.

    > In any case, whether an applet is sufficient for security depends on two
    > things:
    >
    > 1) Is it acceptable for the database server to accept incoming
    > connections from arbitrary IP addresses?
    >
    > 2) Will clients know their authentication credentials, so that the
    > applet doesn't need to contain its own authentication information on the
    > client?
    >
    > If the answer to either #1 or #2 is "no", then security requirements
    > cannot be met, and a different approach is required.

    Agreed.

    Rhino
    Rhino, Dec 6, 2005
  9. RC

    Tex Guest

    > You can check out my test page from
    > http://amazon.nws.noaa.gov/hads/test/15C2C420.html

    Consider a JVM 1.1 Applet as virtually everyone has that, and then
    your can build an application rather than a web page. In your example
    your data appears to include:
    1. Temp: Readings, Avg, Max, Min
    2. Wind Speed: Readings, Hr Avg, Daily Avg, Peak
    3. Wind Direction: Readings, Hr Avg, Daily Avg, @ Peak
    etc.

    With an applet you can download the readings and build all else
    on the client machine and present it anyway you want including
    scrollable tables and graphs, and the graphs can be scrolled
    and the scale changed. You could add movable brackets to
    a graph so user could get Avg, Min, Max, etc over any period
    desired.

    And the applet can download very compact data. As one example,
    I had several tables which as a text file was 85K, as a binary file
    was 15K which packed into a Jar as 5K.

    You could pack the readings into binary and then to zip files by say
    month, or quarter, or whatever is best for the application, and an
    applet can spawn threads to download additional files while
    working on initial data.

    A TMY hourly weather file for a given city for a while year is approx
    146K in binary and 72K as zip. An applet can unpack zip files and
    can decode binary, e.g. TMY weather files.

    So, your initial request was help building same-old, same-old,
    web page w/ a little jazz via a scrollable table. With applets you
    can consider building an application, and they are much more
    valuable to your users.

    --tex
    Tex, Dec 7, 2005