Need to change IE 'cannot display' message, can it be done?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by youtake@gmail.com, Feb 16, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hello, I am building a Intra-net and my requirement need is to disable
    or even create a custom page for the default Windows message,
    "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Can someone please
    show me some programmatic way or method to achieve this? :)

    Thank you a zillion!

    ------
    Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

    Most likely causes:
    You are not connected to the Internet.
    The website is encountering problems.
    There might be a typing error in the address.

    What you can try:
    Check your Internet connection. Try visiting another website to
    make sure you are connected.

    Retype the address.

    More information

    This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

    Internet connectivity has been lost.
    The website is temporarily unavailable.
    The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
    The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
    domain.
    If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click tools, click Internet
    Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS
    protocols are enabled under the security section.

    For offline users

    You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
    To view subscribed feeds

    Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the
    feed you want to view.

    To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)

    Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
    Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the
    page you want to view.

    , Feb 16, 2007

  2. mbstevens Guest

    On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 14:30:39 -0800, youtake wrote:

    > Hello, I am building a Intra-net and my requirement need is to disable
    > or even create a custom page for the default Windows message,
    > "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Can someone please
    > show me some programmatic way or method to achieve this? :)

    From the things you said after this, it sounds as if you may not have a
    server running to serve the pages on your intranet. If you had, say,
    Apache running you could serve custom error pages using the .htaccess
    file with lines kind of like this:

    ErrorDocument 400 /error_docs/er400.html
    ErrorDocument 401 /error_docs/er401.html
    ErrorDocument 403 /error_docs/er403.html
    ErrorDocument 404 /error_docs/er404.html

    mbstevens, Feb 16, 2007

  3. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing in

    > Hello, I am building a Intra-net and my requirement need is to disable
    > or even create a custom page for the default Windows message,
    > "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Can someone please
    > show me some programmatic way or method to achieve this? :)
    >
    > Thank you a zillion!

    You can use a custom error page. Do that in the IIS snapin:
    Right click on the site, and go to the custom errors tab. Then find the
    error number and edit as needed.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Feb 17, 2007
  4. Dan Guest

    On Feb 16, 5:30 pm, wrote:
    > Hello, I am building a Intra-net and my requirement need is to disable
    > or even create a custom page for the default Windows message,
    > "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Can someone please
    > show me some programmatic way or method to achieve this? :)

    Stop using Internet Explorer and use a decent browser instead, such as
    Mozilla Firefox or SeaMonkey. These won't give you error pages saying
    "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Problem solved!

    --
    Dan

    Dan, Feb 17, 2007
  5. "Dan" <> wrote:

    > On Feb 16, 5:30 pm, wrote:
    > > Hello, I am building a Intra-net and my requirement need is to disable
    > > or even create a custom page for the default Windows message,
    > > "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Can someone please
    > > show me some programmatic way or method to achieve this? :)

    > Stop using Internet Explorer and use a decent browser instead, such as
    > Mozilla Firefox or SeaMonkey.

    Without getting into whether IE is a decent browser or not, it is easy
    to configure it to not show "friendly" error pages, and instead dump raw
    and -- to http hippies -- pretty straightforward error data. An entirely
    new browser is not required.

    In any event, as others have mentioned, the real solution is
    server-side, not browser politics.

    --
    Joel.

    Joel Shepherd, Feb 17, 2007

    Thank you all, but in this case, I believe the messages displayed to
    users in my OP is generated from the browser client, not pipelined
    from a server. :)

    , Feb 17, 2007
  7. rwap Guest

    On Feb 17, 5:24 pm, wrote:
    > Thank you all, but in this case, I believe the messages displayed to
    > users in my OP is generated from the browser client, not pipelined
    > from a server. :)

    I think you misunderstand here.

    A browser will try to connect a user to the chosen webpage. If it
    cannot find the server, then it generates one message.

    If however, it finds the server, but not the specified page, then it
    will look for a custom page on the server (for example 404.html) - and
    then if that is not found, will display its standard error page.
    mbstevens gives you an example above on how to create custom error
    pages on the server side.

    IE can however override these with "friendly error messages" - you can
    apparently avoid this by ensuing that any custom error pages are more
    than 512 bytes.

    However, if you want to cover the position where the server itself
    cannot be found or the internet connection is missing, I believe you
    can do this through the custom browser tools provided in the Internet
    Explorer Administration Kit - see
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/ie/ieak7/default.mspx#EDE

    Not tried this myself, but worth a go

    Rich Mellor