  1. Hi,,

    Can you please help me choose a free compiler for C...

    Thankyou!

    Nirjhar Oberoi, Nov 16, 2006

  2. Nirjhar Oberoi said:

    > Hi,,
    >
    > Can you please help me choose a free compiler for C...

    Choose gcc.

    > Thankyou!

    You're welcome.

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

    Richard Heathfield, Nov 16, 2006

  3. Nirjhar Oberoi

    santosh Guest

    Nirjhar Oberoi wrote:
    > Hi,,
    >
    > Can you please help me choose a free compiler for C...

    It depends on your definition of 'free'. IMHO, go with gcc. It exists
    as DJGPP on DOS and is available on Windows via MinGW and Cygwin.

    santosh, Nov 16, 2006
  4. santosh wrote:
    > Nirjhar Oberoi wrote:
    > > Hi,,
    > >
    > > Can you please help me choose a free compiler for C...

    > It depends on your definition of 'free'. IMHO, go with gcc. It exists
    > as DJGPP on DOS and is available on Windows via MinGW and Cygwin.

    Thankyou for your suggestions... GCC is Great :)

    I am using DJGPP.. do you have any other IDE that uses GCC!!!!

    Waiting for your kind reply!!!!

    Nirjhar Oberoi, Nov 16, 2006
  5. Nirjhar Oberoi

    santosh Guest

    Nirjhar Oberoi wrote:
    > santosh wrote:
    > > Nirjhar Oberoi wrote:
    > > > Hi,,
    > > >
    > > > Can you please help me choose a free compiler for C...

    > > It depends on your definition of 'free'. IMHO, go with gcc. It exists
    > > as DJGPP on DOS and is available on Windows via MinGW and Cygwin.

    > Thankyou for your suggestions... GCC is Great :)
    >
    > I am using DJGPP.. do you have any other IDE that uses GCC!!!!

    Well DJGPP can optionally include a text based IDE called RHIDE, though
    my personal preference is Vim, (Vim is _not_ an IDE; it's a powerful
    text editor which enables you to do pretty much all you'd expect to do
    with a simple IDE).

    In Windows land, you'll find a proliferation of IDEs, but two of the
    more popular ones are Code::Blocks and DevC++. Both can be configured
    to use an external gcc or one bundled along with them.

    santosh, Nov 16, 2006
  6. Nirjhar Oberoi

    MrPink Guest

    Il Thu, 16 Nov 2006 00:45:08 -0800, Nirjhar Oberoi ha scritto:

    > o you have any other IDE that uses GCC!!!!

    Eclipse cdt uses gcc

    MrPink, Nov 16, 2006
  7. Nirjhar Oberoi

    CBFalconer Guest

    Nirjhar Oberoi wrote:
    > santosh wrote:
    > > Nirjhar Oberoi wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Can you please help me choose a free compiler for C...

    >> It depends on your definition of 'free'. IMHO, go with gcc. It
    >> exists as DJGPP on DOS and is available on Windows via MinGW
    >> and Cygwin.

    > Thankyou for your suggestions... GCC is Great :)
    >
    > I am using DJGPP.. do you have any other IDE that uses GCC!!!!

    You don't need an IDE. Just use ALT-tab to switch between a
    command window (to compile, run etc) and an editor. Mount 4dos to
    make the command window responsive, and use aliases.

    <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

    CBFalconer, Nov 16, 2006
  8. Nirjhar Oberoi

    Nelu Guest

    Nirjhar Oberoi wrote:
    > santosh wrote:
    >> Nirjhar Oberoi wrote:
    >>> Hi,,
    >>>
    >>> Can you please help me choose a free compiler for C...

    >> It depends on your definition of 'free'. IMHO, go with gcc. It exists
    >> as DJGPP on DOS and is available on Windows via MinGW and Cygwin.

    > Thankyou for your suggestions... GCC is Great :)
    >
    > I am using DJGPP.. do you have any other IDE that uses GCC!!!!
    >
    > Waiting for your kind reply!!!!

    It depends what OS you are using. For Windows you can use
    CodeBlocks. For Linux there's Anjuta, KDevelop, (CodeBlocks too,
    I believe). Cross platform: emacs, vim, Eclipse with CDT,
    Netbeans has C and C++ support through an add-on package (the
    last two are JAVA editors at origins although Eclipse can handle
    a large number of languages now, using different plugins). If you
    are learning C I'd say go with emacs or vim. On the other hand,
    if you are an expert, go with emacs or vim :).

    --
    Ioan - Ciprian Tandau
    (... and that it still works...)

    Nelu, Nov 16, 2006

    <http://c-faq.com/resources/index.html>

    Clever Monkey, Nov 16, 2006
  10. On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:00:45 -0500, in comp.lang.c , CBFalconer
    <> wrote:

    >You don't need an IDE. Just use ALT-tab to switch between a
    >command window (to compile, run etc) and an editor.

    Alt tab doesn't do anything especially useful on my compiler box,
    other than switch away from the ssh session I'm using to look at
    it....

    > Mount 4dos to
    >make the command window responsive, and use aliases.

    [mark@thelinux ~]# mount 4dos
    mount: can't find 4dos in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
    [mark@thelinux ~]#

    (I reckon we should try to avoid answering offtopic questions, no?)

    :)
    --
    Mark McIntyre

    --Brian Kernighan

    Mark McIntyre, Nov 16, 2006
  11. Nirjhar Oberoi

    CBFalconer Guest

    Mark McIntyre wrote:
    > CBFalconer <> wrote:
    >
    >> You don't need an IDE. Just use ALT-tab to switch between a
    >> command window (to compile, run etc) and an editor.

    > Alt tab doesn't do anything especially useful on my compiler box,
    > other than switch away from the ssh session I'm using to look at
    > it....
    >
    >> Mount 4dos to make the command window responsive, and use aliases.

    > [mark@thelinux ~]# mount 4dos
    > mount: can't find 4dos in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
    > [mark@thelinux ~]#
    >
    > (I reckon we should try to avoid answering offtopic questions, no?)

    The OP clearly stated he was using DJGPP, where that advice
    applies. Regardless, the advice to avoid an IDE applies. You can
    use whatever switches between terminals on your box.

    <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

    CBFalconer, Nov 16, 2006
  12. Nirjhar Oberoi

    Neil Guest

    Nirjhar Oberoi wrote:
    > santosh wrote:
    > > Nirjhar Oberoi wrote:
    > > > Hi,,
    > > >
    > > > Can you please help me choose a free compiler for C...

    > > It depends on your definition of 'free'. IMHO, go with gcc. It exists
    > > as DJGPP on DOS and is available on Windows via MinGW and Cygwin.

    > Thankyou for your suggestions... GCC is Great :)
    >
    > I am using DJGPP.. do you have any other IDE that uses GCC!!!!

    if you like, try "PROGRAMMERS NOTEPAD". It's easy to setup with any
    compiler or language. With C and C++ , it outlines all your blocks with
    a tree view in your program. It's great for learning too, cause it will
    teach where the braces are suppose to go, or if you missed one in a
    nested for loop or while etc...

    It's the one IDE I would reccommend to anyone using a free compiler.

    Neil.

    Neil, Nov 21, 2006
  13. Neil wrote:
    > Nirjhar Oberoi wrote:
    > > santosh wrote:

    > > > It depends on your definition of 'free'. IMHO, go with gcc. It exists
    > > > as DJGPP on DOS and is available on Windows via MinGW and Cygwin.

    > > Thankyou for your suggestions... GCC is Great :)
    > >
    > > I am using DJGPP.. do you have any other IDE that uses GCC!!!!

    > if you like, try "PROGRAMMERS NOTEPAD". It's easy to setup with any
    > compiler or language. With C and C++ , it outlines all your blocks with
    > a tree view in your program. It's great for learning too, cause it will
    > teach where the braces are suppose to go, or if you missed one in a
    > nested for loop or while etc...
    >
    > It's the one IDE I would reccommend to anyone using a free compiler.
    >
    > Neil.

    Thank to all you great guyz....

    You been a great help...

    Nirjhar Oberoi, Nov 23, 2006
  14. Nirjhar Oberoi

    d3x0xr Guest

    There are several viable compilers to choose from

    Digital Mars has a C compiler, couldn't get it to compile right...

    LCC Win32 is a good solid lightweight compiler that is quick to generate
    code, it's got an IDE with it.

    Open watcom (www.openwatcom.org) is the watcom compiler released into
    public domain, supposed to support compiling (corss compiling) for linux
    also. Also has an IDE with it.

    Borland has a free version of it's 5.5 compiler available no IDE,
    command line only.

    And of course, GCC. but for windows, GCC is not really an option,
    cygwin is the most robust environment, but without special tweaks your
    programs will be 1/4 the speed they should be.

    Nirjhar Oberoi:

    d3x0xr, Nov 30, 2006
  15. Nirjhar Oberoi

    santosh Guest

    d3x0xr wrote:
    > Nirjhar Oberoi:
    > > Hi,,
    > >
    > > Can you please help me choose a free compiler for C...

    <snip>
    > There are several viable compilers to choose from

    <snip>
    > And of course, GCC. but for windows, GCC is not really an option, [...]

    This is why off-topic answers to off-topic questions are not such a
    bright idea.

    What makes you say that gcc "is not really an option" for Windows?
    AFAICT, MinGW is an excellent port of gcc and associated infrastructure
    to Windows. In my experience, it emits better code than some of the
    other compilers you've mentioned.

    > cygwin is the most robust environment, but without special tweaks your
    > programs will be 1/4 the speed they should be.

    The "special tweak" is to shelve Cygwin and use MinGW, unless you need
    a full UNIX like environment, (even here, mSYS of MinGW distribution
    comes close).

    <OT>
    The poor speed of Cygwin is due to POSIX emulation done by cygwin.dll
    to support programs targeted for UNIX. MinGW, however, uses the native
    Windows API and hence programs compiled with it are faster.
    </OT>

    santosh, Nov 30, 2006
  16. Nirjhar Oberoi

    Tom St Denis Guest

    d3x0xr wrote:
    > LCC Win32 is a good solid lightweight compiler that is quick to generate
    > code, it's got an IDE with it.

    LCC Win32 is decent but the optimizer sucks and his language extensions
    are a bit goofy.

    > Open watcom (www.openwatcom.org) is the watcom compiler released into
    > public domain, supposed to support compiling (corss compiling) for linux
    > also. Also has an IDE with it.

    Unless they added a lot to it I doubt it can out optimize GCC. Watcom
    was the compiler of choice for x86 back in the day, mostly because the
    competition was Turbo C. But GCC has a come a long way since then. It
    was ousted even with heavyweights like ID Software who moved from
    Watcom to DJGPP for Quake1.

    > Borland has a free version of it's 5.5 compiler available no IDE,
    > command line only.

    Borland IDE suck bad. Visual Studio is a lot better and if I had to
    get stuck between the two I'd side with MSFT. Both compilers though
    suck fairly bad. (well newer msvc's are better but they're still far
    from C99)

    > And of course, GCC. but for windows, GCC is not really an option,
    > cygwin is the most robust environment, but without special tweaks your
    > programs will be 1/4 the speed they should be.

    use the -mno-cygwin option, boom faster. As another poster pointed out
    Cygwin is meant for UNIX emulation on windows. If you are writing a
    windows application just toss -mno-cygwin in your CFLAGS and be done
    with.

    GCC can often out optimize most professional compilers, it's closer to
    C99 then Borland, MSVC, LCC, actively maintained and best of all it's
    free software.

    Tom

    Tom St Denis, Nov 30, 2006
  17. Nirjhar Oberoi

    Chris Hills Guest

    In article <>, Tom
    St Denis <> writes
    >GCC can often out optimize most professional compilers, i

    Completely un-true. It is not too bad on 32 bit systems but not so good
    on 16bit and way out of 8 bit.

    >t's closer to
    >C99 then Borland, MSVC, LCC,

    Gcc is no more C99 than most other compilers.

    For PC use there are always the free MS Visual * Express compilers.
    Though it pains me to say so they are probably the best bet for PC
    development. It depends what you are targeting.

    /\/\/ www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

    Chris Hills, Nov 30, 2006