Need to create a multi-threaded component that streams file from remote server to asp.net

dotnetnewbie

I'm a dotnet newbie and have been developing some web applications in
asp.net. I have a requirement to load files from a remote file cache
server (many of them actually) to a web image viewer. The files can
be sensitive and because of that I can not use a virtual directory to
access them. A coworker has suggested that I create a com + object
that would read the file and stream it back to the asp application but
I really don't know how to get started. It seems like it should be
easy but how do you create a component that returns a stream? Should
it be a memory stream and then don't I have problems with the com
object needing to be multi-threaded to support my web multi-user
environment? Can anyone suggest an example of how this might be done.

Dotnet Newbie