Need to design a website in ASP.NET- don't know where to start

David

SUMMARY: If you don't want to read all of this, what I'm looking for
more or less is ideas on how to implement websites using ASP.NET that
have a templated look and feel and many pages that make use of a
template design.

Hi-

I'm new to ASP.NET and have been working for about 2 weeks on learning
ASP.NET but it all still seems very murky to me. I've programmed sites
in PHP and MySQL and also done programming in C++ and Java but I
suppose my greatest problem with ASP.NET is I just plain don't know
where to start. I've seen all the little demos and had my share of
WebMatrix but nothing is fitting when I need to do.

I want to design a website that can server up different templates based
on the current area of the website a visitor is in. For designing pages
in ASP.NET, do you:

1) Create like 3 user controls, one for header, one for body content,
and one for footer in which the reference to the body content changes?

I don't know I suppose I just really don't know what options there are
with ASP.NET to create a dynamic website with. I knew how to do it with
PHP and knowing what I could do I could design the website around that.
Now I have no idea what I can do or what the general approach for
ASP.NET website design is and thus I am very much in the dark and the
worst part is I have to have a demo of the site up by tomorrow. I've
made a good bit of headway but it seems like once I get something done
it doesn't fit what i need it to do.

I very much appreciate any and all comment and help that can be sent my
way. You can e-mail me at (e-mail address removed) or reply to this
newsgroup which would be best so others can read your responses.
Thanks again!!

<><
David

Daniel M. Hendricks

Here is a sample. It's just bare bones, but gives you the idea. Add
as much as you like. If you're like them zipped, e-mail me at
dmhendricks (at) despammed (dot) com. Cheers,

Daniel M. Hendricks
http://www.danhendricks.com

DEFAULT.ASPX:

<%@ Page Language="C#" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="template" TagName="header"
Src="/controls/template/header.ascx" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="template" TagName="footer"
Src="/controls/template/footer.ascx" %>

<template:Header Title="Contact Us" runat="server" />

<template:Footer runat="server" />

HEADER.ASCX:

<%@ Control Language="C#" %>
<script runat="server">
public String Title;
void Page_Load(Object Src, EventArgs e) {
_Title.Text = Title;
}
</script>

<head><title><asp:Literal id="_DateTime" runat="server"
/></title></head>

FOOTER.ASCX

<%@ Control Language="C#" %>