    any thoughts?

    thanks a million!!

    uk
    MUK, Oct 21, 2005

  2. MUK wrote:

    > Here is a functionality that I need to build into my J2EE webapp (built
    > on IBM's EAD4J framework) ...
    >
    > A page is displayed in html which looks like a spreadsheet. I need to
    > build this functionality into this page...

    What functionality? Depending on the level, HTML/JS
    might be quite enough to achieve it.

    >..if the user wants, the user
    > can export all the data displayed on this html page into a csv file
    > which the user can save locally and import into something like
    > excel....

    Try this for a thought. After 'functionalising' the data,
    the user can post it to a second page that is either..
    - a plain HTML table, with a link below to the same as CSV, or..
    - the CSV file itself. Most browsers will offer to save a CSV file,
    though your poor IE users might need instructions, as IE would
    likely open the CSV in whatever program is registered to handle
    a CSV file (often Excel).
    Andrew Thompson, Oct 21, 2005

  3. MUK

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 21 Oct 2005 05:58:54 -0700, "MUK" <> wrote or
    quoted :

    >A page is displayed in html which looks like a spreadsheet. I need to
    >build this functionality into this page... if the user wants, the user
    >can export all the data displayed on this html page into a csv file
    >which the user can save locally and import into something like
    >excel....

    That could be an HTML table. You might check the CSS newsgroups for
    discussions of how to have non-scrolling headers and footers, a cause
    of much teeth gnashing.

    You could do the display with a JTable Applet with a local cache of
    rows backed by the server. If the table is large, this is what you
    will need.

    To export the CSV you could have a button that downloads a virtual
    file you compose. See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/csv.html

    You could also have the signed Applet or JAWS Applet/application
    create the CSV file. That would be faster since the Applet would
    already have most of the data and the data could be sent to the Applet
    in compressed from rather than as a raw CSV.

    If that makes your head ache, I am open for contract work.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Oct 22, 2005