Need to get my site listed with search engines, where do I start?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP], Jun 8, 2004.

  1. Not exactly the best forum, but here goes.

    1. Manually. You can submit to each site. This is tedious.
    2. Automatically. You can download a site submitter. Most have a free trial
    period (or are free) and you can find them on www.download.com:
    http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=site submission&tg=dl-2001

    A couple of suggestions:
    1. Fill in your meta tags, both keyword and description.
    http://searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/article.php/2167931

    2. Make a file called robots.txt and put it in the root. In this file place
    the
    http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/norobots.html
    You will especially want to be sure to have any files you do not want
    spidered. Some spiders ignore this, but most are friendly and will not
    attempt to catalogue private content.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP], Jun 8, 2004

  2. Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP]

    Charlie@CBFC Guest

    Thanks!
    Charlie

    Charlie@CBFC, Jun 8, 2004

  3. Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP]

    Brian W Guest

    In addition to what Cowboy said...

    Be sure to get listed at dmoz.org and google.com most of the important
    search engines index off of these 2.

    Brian W

    Brian W, Jun 8, 2004
  4. Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP]

    Charlie@CBFC Guest

    Thanks! That's very helpful

    "Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) [MVP]" <> wrote
    in message news:%...

    Charlie@CBFC, Jun 8, 2004