Need to handle multiple types of authentication, need help

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Mike, Jan 20, 2004.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I've got an ASP.NET project that i need to support multiple types of login
    authentication. I've tried initially to create a login system where you are
    presented with an Account / Password page and then also a link that would
    allow them to say "Use my Windows NT account". The forms authentication is
    a breeze, however I cannot get the Windows authentication to work correctly
    without prompting me for a Username/Password when I login.

    During development, I'm testing locally on WinXP, when deployed, its on
    either Win2K server or Win2K3 server. Kerberos authentication is enabled on
    the account and the machine, so I cannot understand why it continues to
    prompt for the password. The same code works perfectly in ASP, but not in
    ASP.NET.

    Can anyone give me some pointers on how to possibly get this to work because
    once I get this working, I've still got to implement LDAP and a custom login
    protocol too, but I first need to make sure the main SQL/Windows
    authentication can work correctly in ASP.NET.

    On the virtual folder, both Anonymous and WIA are enabled.
    BASIC/Passport/Digest are all turned off.

    Thanks,
    michael

    Mike, Jan 20, 2004

  2. Mike

    Keith Guest

    Ran into this recently, perhaps the best way to do this
    would be for you use forms authentication and then
    programattically authenticate the user off the Active
    Directory. Then impersonate the authenticated user.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-
    US;326340

    I hope I'm reading your request right. Please let me
    know.

    Keith, Feb 1, 2004