Need to locate beginner/intermediate training course in the UK

SarahEmmm

I found a list of companies providing perl training, but have lost my
link to the list :( so can anyone help? I and my colleague are both
commercial programmers, so we really don't want to hear what datatypes
are yet again; he has no background in perl, while I did work through
much of the nutshell book a couple of years ago.

(Yes, I know and agree that its better to read and do, but our employer
says otherwise ;)

TIA!

Tad McClellan

[ Disclaimer: I work for Stonehenge, a Perl training company ]

was it http:/www.perltraining.org ?

I and my colleague are both
commercial programmers, so we really don't want to hear what datatypes
are yet again; he has no background in perl, while I did work through
much of the nutshell book a couple of years ago.

I caution against choosing Perl training from a Jack-Of-All-Trades
training company that teaches dozens of different topics. Their
instructors have a high probability of being nothing more
than "slide readers'.

Choose a company staffed by members of the actual Perl community instead.

There are several besides Stonehenge, send me email if you choose
non-Stonehenge training, and I'll tell you if I've heard of their
trainer or not. (That's right, I'll confirm if one of our
competitors is the Real Deal.)

The famous Randal Schwartz himself will be teaching Stonehenge's
Intro (from which the Llama book was derived) and Intermediate
(from which the Alpaca book was derived) near Portland Oregon
in March 2005.

Send me email if you'd like more info, or if you would like to be added
to our open-enrollment mailing list where all such trainings are
announced as they become scheduled.

Stonehenge delivers onsite Perl training anywhere in the world, but it
sounds like you don't have enough people for that to make economic sense.

You might also inquire on the Perl Monger's mailing list for a .pm in
your cities of interest.

(Yes, I know and agree that its better to read and do, but our employer
says otherwise ;)

I'd say that being taught live and doing (labs) would be even better.

Read and do would be fine if you have some time, live training is
indicated if you have to start producing quickly.

Sherm Pendley

Tad said:
Read and do would be fine if you have some time, live training is
indicated if you have to start producing quickly.

*Especially* if your employer is picking up the tab. :)

sherm--

Tad McClellan

SarahEmmm said:
Tad - yes, that was it! Sadly, I don't think the boss will spring for a
course outside the UK, so I can't suggest Stonehenge ;) The UK list
contains a number of companies who sound reasonable: I would be most
grateful for feedback on
http://www.wellho.co.uk/
http://www.netspinner.co.uk/Training.html
http://www.mag-sol.com/
http://www.perlcourses.co.uk/
if you have any knowledge of them.

I don't know of any of the companies, but that isn't too surprising,
I'm not up on things in that part of the World.

3 out of the 4 of them have no information on the trainers, only
on the companies. That worries me. If they had a "Perl name" trainer
they would be advertising it, I'd think...

www.mag-sol.com lists Dave Cross as the trainer.

I know Dave, he is most certainly the Real Deal.