Need to set up a server that support ASP.NET

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mr. R, Feb 7, 2008.

  1. Mr. R

    Mr. R Guest

    Hi

    I need to set up a server that supports ASP.NET. I will have it in my home
    and run on and off for demo projects. The problem is that I don't have then
    money to by Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008. I have tried to
    install IIS but that doesn't help me at all. I have tried Apache and the
    Mono projects tools which also fails. Tried Apache on both Linux and Windows
    but both setups fails to support ASP.NET.

    I cna create the hemepages (Webpages) using Visual Web Developer 2008 but I
    can only run the Webpages started from Visual Studios the IDE that creates a
    temporarilly localhost connection.

    Can some one tell me how to set up a Webserver that supports ASP.NET. Do I
    really need to install Windows 200x to be able to access ASP.NET.

    Lars

    Mr. R, Feb 7, 2008

  2. "Mr. R" <> wrote in message

    > I need to set up a server that supports ASP.NET. I will have it in my home
    > and run on and off for demo projects. I have tried to install IIS but that
    > doesn't help me at all.

    ??? Can you be more specific? IIS is perfectly suited to running ASP.NET
    apps - how can it "not help you at all"...?

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Feb 7, 2008

  3. Mr. R

    darrel Guest

    > I need to set up a server that supports ASP.NET. I will have it in my home
    > and run on and off for demo projects. The problem is that I don't have
    > then money to by Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008. I have tried
    > to install IIS but that doesn't help me at all.

    For XP, you need XP Pro to use IIS easily.

    For Vista, I have no idea what edition you need, but I'm guessing the lesser
    editions don't make managing IIS very easy.

    > I have tried Apache and the Mono projects tools which also fails. Tried
    > Apache on both Linux and Windows but both setups fails to support ASP.NET.

    Apache, itself, can't run ASP.net

    Mono Project is great, but, really, why bother with ASP.net if you want to
    go the Open Source Route? ;0)

    > Can some one tell me how to set up a Webserver that supports ASP.NET. Do I
    > really need to install Windows 200x to be able to access ASP.NET.

    For a 'real' server, then, yea, that's why MS sells Windows Server Operating
    system. ;0)

    That said, XP Pro should work for you. Let us know which OS you *are*
    running and we can be of more help.

    -Darrel

    darrel, Feb 7, 2008
  4. Mark Rae [MVP], Feb 7, 2008
  5. Why not get a shared hosting account? You can get hosting with SQL Server
    for $17 a month over at CrystalTech. If all you're doing is creating
    projects and demonstrating them, CrystalTech has an account for only $2.95 a
    month (http://www.crystaltech.com/developershared.aspx) that offers most of
    the features you could want form demoing a site.

    Bottom line though, if you're unfamiliar with IIS, and setting up a web
    server it's best not to do it at home as you don't know all the security
    issues involved especially if you want to open the server up to show to
    outside parties.

    --
    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick

    Mark Fitzpatrick, Feb 7, 2008
  6. Mr. R

    Mr. R Guest

    "darrel" <> skrev i meddelandet

    >> I need to set up a server that supports ASP.NET. I will have it in my
    >> home
    >> and run on and off for demo projects. The problem is that I don't have
    >> then money to by Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008. I have tried
    >> to install IIS but that doesn't help me at all.

    > For XP, you need XP Pro to use IIS easily.

    Doesn't help me I have tried. Using XP Pro. Can it have some thing to do
    with the fact that I'm used a very old install CD for XP. Doens't even
    include SP1. But of course I have installed SP1, SP2, IE7 and all available
    updates. But when I add IIS to the system it asks for the XP Install CD that
    I bought 2001. Doesn't help running WIndows Update either. Do I need a newer
    XP Pro install CD? I do have the license.

    > For Vista, I have no idea what edition you need, but I'm guessing the
    > lesser editions don't make managing IIS very easy.

    Don't use Vista on my machines since it doesn't support good Audio devices
    or Cubase (yet).

    >> I have tried Apache and the Mono projects tools which also fails. Tried
    >> Apache on both Linux and Windows but both setups fails to support
    >> ASP.NET.

    > Apache, itself, can't run ASP.net
    >
    > Mono Project is great, but, really, why bother with ASP.net if you want to
    > go the Open Source Route? ;0)

    Have to create some ASP.NET pages for referens purpose only.

    ASP.NET webpages are hot where I live and I need assignments. It's not up to
    me it's up to my clients.

    >> Can some one tell me how to set up a Webserver that supports ASP.NET. Do
    >> I really need to install Windows 200x to be able to access ASP.NET.

    > For a 'real' server, then, yea, that's why MS sells Windows Server
    > Operating system. ;0)

    Maybe that's why so many use Linux as Webservers?

    > That said, XP Pro should work for you. Let us know which OS you *are*
    > running and we can be of more help.

    XP Pro. The machine came with XP Home but I think I reinstalled using XP Pro
    last fall. Any how the Add/Remoev Programs showed that I can add ISS.

    How do I access and edit IIS. Can I access ISS from outside a firewall
    supposing I open port 80 on the firewall D-Link-604. Sure IIS is installed
    and updated with ´.NET 1.1 but what about .NET 2.0? isn't that the latest
    version. And where the *#¤* is it I don't see it on my Desktop, Control
    Panel, Program Menu or any where.

    Lars

    Mr. R, Feb 7, 2008
  7. Mark Rae [MVP], Feb 7, 2008
  8. Mr. R

    darrel Guest

    >> For Vista, I have no idea what edition you need,
    >
    > IIS7.

    Er, I meant to say which edition of VISTA one needs to make running a web
    server viable. Do all versions of Vista support IIS?

    -Darrel

    darrel, Feb 7, 2008
  9. Mr. R

    darrel Guest

    > Doesn't help me I have tried. Using XP Pro. Can it have some thing to do
    > with the fact that I'm used a very old install CD for XP. Doens't even
    > include SP1. But of course I have installed SP1, SP2, IE7 and all
    > available updates. But when I add IIS to the system it asks for the XP
    > Install CD that I bought 2001. Doesn't help running WIndows Update either.
    > Do I need a newer XP Pro install CD? I do have the license.

    Well, it wouldn't hurt.

    What specific problem are you having? XP Pro should have IIS already
    installed. At that point, you should just have to install the .net framework
    and be up and running.

    > Maybe that's why so many use Linux as Webservers?

    Well, if you're a web developer, and serious about .net, then I'd suggest
    you dive in and get an MSDN subscription to all the developer apps/OSes.

    IMHO, ASP.net is one of those things you either go 'all in' with or you just
    don't. If you're all in, get Windows server license, Visual Studo Pro
    license, MS SQL license, etc.

    > How do I access and edit IIS. Can I access ISS from outside a firewall
    > supposing I open port 80 on the firewall D-Link-604. Sure IIS is installed
    > and updated with ´.NET 1.1 but what about .NET 2.0? isn't that the latest
    > version. And where the *#¤* is it I don't see it on my Desktop, Control
    > Panel, Program Menu or any where.

    IIS = MY COMPUTER >> MANAGE >> SERVICES >> IIS

    Asp.net frameworks show up under ADD/REMOVE SOFTWARE control panel.

    -Darrel

    darrel, Feb 7, 2008
  10. Mr. R

    Larry Bud Guest

    On Feb 7, 12:07 pm, "Mr. R" <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I need to set up a server that supports ASP.NET. I will have it in my home
    > and run on and off for demo projects. The problem is that I don't have then
    > money to by Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008. I have tried to
    > install IIS but that doesn't help me at all.

    XP Pro, install IIS, then install the .net framework.

    Larry Bud, Feb 7, 2008
  11. Mr. R

    Norman Yuan Guest

    Unless when you specificly chose installing IIS when you installed the XP
    box, the IIS probably did not installed. You need to install it from XP CD
    (yes, you need the CD, old or not, as long as lt is XP Pro, not XP Home).
    You cannot get IIS installed via Window update.

    Norman Yuan, Feb 7, 2008
  12. Mark Rae [MVP], Feb 7, 2008
  13. Mr. R

    darrel Guest

    > http://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...UTF-8&rlz=1T4GZEZ_en-GBGB252GB252&q=Vista IIS

    Well, that really doesn't narrow it down much. ;o)

    I had to click through 5 results before I finally found a mention of Windows
    Editions:

    "The Windows Vista Starter and Home Editions are targeted at home and
    personal users who do not have the need to perform application or web
    development. IIS 7 Web Server and FTP Server features are not available on
    these editions."

    "Vista Home Premium Edition...the majority of the IIS 7 Web Server features
    required for web site development are available."

    So, I guess the answer is 'no' you need at least Home Premium to run IIS?
    But you still might be missing a few features?

    -Darrel

    darrel, Feb 7, 2008
  14. Mr. R

    Mr. R Guest

    Hi

    "darrel" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >> Doesn't help me I have tried. Using XP Pro. Can it have some thing to do
    >> with the fact that I'm used a very old install CD for XP. Doens't even
    >> include SP1. But of course I have installed SP1, SP2, IE7 and all
    >> available updates. But when I add IIS to the system it asks for the XP
    >> Install CD that I bought 2001. Doesn't help running WIndows Update
    >> either. Do I need a newer XP Pro install CD? I do have the license.

    > Well, it wouldn't hurt.
    >
    > What specific problem are you having? XP Pro should have IIS already
    > installed. At that point, you should just have to install the .net
    > framework and be up and running.
    >
    >> Maybe that's why so many use Linux as Webservers?

    > Well, if you're a web developer, and serious about .net, then I'd suggest
    > you dive in and get an MSDN subscription to all the developer apps/OSes.

    Just one BIG problem... Money :)

    > IMHO, ASP.net is one of those things you either go 'all in' with or you
    > just don't. If you're all in, get Windows server license, Visual Studo Pro
    > license, MS SQL license, etc.

    At the moment I'm evaluating Visual Studio 2008.

    As an option, I will also look into Delphi.NET since I'm used to Borlands
    IDE.

    >> How do I access and edit IIS. Can I access ISS from outside a firewall
    >> supposing I open port 80 on the firewall D-Link-604. Sure IIS is
    >> installed and updated with ´.NET 1.1 but what about .NET 2.0? isn't that
    >> the latest version. And where the *#¤* is it I don't see it on my
    >> Desktop, Control Panel, Program Menu or any where.

    > IIS = MY COMPUTER >> MANAGE >> SERVICES >> IIS

    Tada now I can see the page http://localhost/iishelp/iis/misc/default.asp

    I can start and stop IIS Admin. But how can I see where the web page is
    stored.

    I also managed to publish my project to the localhost but when I open
    http://localhost in IE there's noting there. Does IIS 5.0 really support the
    new ASP.NET 2.0 that's included un Visual Studio 2008. How do I upgrade my
    IIS 5.0 to the latest version?

    How do I tell IIS that the first page to look for is Default.aspx. Also when
    got to see Default.aspx in my webbrowser the MasterPage Main.Master didn't
    show. WHen VS 2008 fires up a temporarilly localhost it works.

    Updating to .NET 1.1 as Windows Update suggested failed. Could that be
    because Visual Stuidio installed .NET 2.0? .NET 2.0 works from the VS IDE.

    Lars

    Mr. R, Feb 7, 2008
  15. Mr. R

    darrel Guest

    > Just one BIG problem... Money :)

    No argument there. ;o)

    > Tada now I can see the page http://localhost/iishelp/iis/misc/default.asp
    >
    > I can start and stop IIS Admin. But how can I see where the web page is
    > stored.

    By defualt, it's likely c:/inetpub/wwwroot/yourFiles

    To find out for sure, go to IIS under computer management and expand it to
    show the list of all your sites.

    Right-click the site and choose properties

    Click on the HOME DIRECTORY tab and that will show you where that particular
    site is pointing at.

    > I also managed to publish my project to the localhost but when I open
    > http://localhost in IE there's noting there. Does IIS 5.0 really support
    > the
    > new ASP.NET 2.0 that's included un Visual Studio 2008. How do I upgrade my
    > IIS 5.0 to the latest version?

    You don't upgrade IIS, but, rather, you install the framework on your
    computer (ie, it's a windows component).

    > How do I tell IIS that the first page to look for is Default.aspx.

    site > properties > documents

    > Also when
    > got to see Default.aspx in my webbrowser the MasterPage Main.Master didn't
    > show. WHen VS 2008 fires up a temporarilly localhost it works.

    Not sure about that issue.

    > Updating to .NET 1.1 as Windows Update suggested failed. Could that be
    > because Visual Stuidio installed .NET 2.0? .NET 2.0 works from the VS IDE.

    You can have 1.1 and 2.0 side by side. One isn't really an upgrade for the
    other. You can have 1.1 sites and 2.0 sites on the same server.

    -Darrel

    darrel, Feb 7, 2008
  16. I'm not much up on this, but I think xp pro should support asp.net if you
    have the framework installed, which you can download from microsoft.

    I'm running a web site on xp, of course it has limited number of
    connections. Either 5 or 10.

    Scott

    Web Search Store, Feb 7, 2008
  17. Mr. R

    Mr. R Guest

    "darrel" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >> Just one BIG problem... Money :)

    > No argument there. ;o)
    >
    >> Tada now I can see the page http://localhost/iishelp/iis/misc/default.asp
    >>
    >> I can start and stop IIS Admin. But how can I see where the web page is
    >> stored.

    > By defualt, it's likely c:/inetpub/wwwroot/yourFiles

    The paged fied up told me it was /inetpub/wwwroot/

    > To find out for sure, go to IIS under computer management and expand it to
    > show the list of all your sites.

    Got it. Page now showing without PHP support. Just uninstalled all ASP.NET
    support. I will swift to a n older version of Visual Studio. version 2008
    seamed to buggy. Fields that was available in the demo videos didn't work on
    VS 2008 neither did MasterPages. Had to hack code to get that working att
    all.

    > Right-click the site and choose properties
    >
    > Click on the HOME DIRECTORY tab and that will show you where that
    > particular site is pointing at.
    >
    >> I also managed to publish my project to the localhost but when I open
    >> http://localhost in IE there's noting there. Does IIS 5.0 really support
    >> the
    >> new ASP.NET 2.0 that's included un Visual Studio 2008. How do I upgrade
    >> my
    >> IIS 5.0 to the latest version?

    > You don't upgrade IIS, but, rather, you install the framework on your
    > computer (ie, it's a windows component).

    Will upgrade or install the new Frameworks later.

    >> How do I tell IIS that the first page to look for is Default.aspx.

    > site > properties > documents

    Now I'm starting to rock

    Isn't news groups a fine thing? The best way of getting fast help.

    >> Also when
    >> got to see Default.aspx in my webbrowser the MasterPage Main.Master
    >> didn't
    >> show. WHen VS 2008 fires up a temporarilly localhost it works.

    > Not sure about that issue.
    >
    >> Updating to .NET 1.1 as Windows Update suggested failed. Could that be
    >> because Visual Stuidio installed .NET 2.0? .NET 2.0 works from the VS
    >> IDE.

    > You can have 1.1 and 2.0 side by side. One isn't really an upgrade for the
    > other. You can have 1.1 sites and 2.0 sites on the same server.

    It turned out I only had the Service Pack for 2.0 and 3.0. Not the actual
    original pack. So I'm reinstalling.

    > -Darrel

    Thanks for your help Darrel

    Lars

    Mr. R, Feb 8, 2008
  18. Mr. R

    Mr. R Guest

    Thank you all guys for your help getting every thing working.

    After uninstalling all .NET packages and Visual Studio 2008 tools then
    reinstalling Visual Studio 2008 the homepage is up and running with .NET
    support. Heven't tried from out side the net yet. Will do that to morrow.

    Lars

    Mr. R, Feb 8, 2008