Need to set up a server that support ASP.NET

Mr. R

Hi

I need to set up a server that supports ASP.NET. I will have it in my home
and run on and off for demo projects. The problem is that I don't have then
money to by Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008. I have tried to
install IIS but that doesn't help me at all. I have tried Apache and the
Mono projects tools which also fails. Tried Apache on both Linux and Windows
but both setups fails to support ASP.NET.

I cna create the hemepages (Webpages) using Visual Web Developer 2008 but I
can only run the Webpages started from Visual Studios the IDE that creates a
temporarilly localhost connection.

Can some one tell me how to set up a Webserver that supports ASP.NET. Do I
really need to install Windows 200x to be able to access ASP.NET.

Lars

Mark Rae [MVP]

I need to set up a server that supports ASP.NET. I will have it in my home
and run on and off for demo projects. I have tried to install IIS but that
doesn't help me at all.

??? Can you be more specific? IIS is perfectly suited to running ASP.NET
apps - how can it "not help you at all"...?

darrel

I need to set up a server that supports ASP.NET. I will have it in my home
and run on and off for demo projects. The problem is that I don't have
then money to by Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008. I have tried
to install IIS but that doesn't help me at all.

For XP, you need XP Pro to use IIS easily.

For Vista, I have no idea what edition you need, but I'm guessing the lesser
editions don't make managing IIS very easy.
I have tried Apache and the Mono projects tools which also fails. Tried
Apache on both Linux and Windows but both setups fails to support ASP.NET.

Apache, itself, can't run ASP.net

Mono Project is great, but, really, why bother with ASP.net if you want to
go the Open Source Route? ;0)
Can some one tell me how to set up a Webserver that supports ASP.NET. Do I
really need to install Windows 200x to be able to access ASP.NET.

For a 'real' server, then, yea, that's why MS sells Windows Server Operating
system. ;0)

That said, XP Pro should work for you. Let us know which OS you *are*
running and we can be of more help.

-Darrel

Mark Fitzpatrick

Why not get a shared hosting account? You can get hosting with SQL Server
for $17 a month over at CrystalTech. If all you're doing is creating
projects and demonstrating them, CrystalTech has an account for only $2.95 a
month (http://www.crystaltech.com/developershared.aspx) that offers most of
the features you could want form demoing a site.

Bottom line though, if you're unfamiliar with IIS, and setting up a web
server it's best not to do it at home as you don't know all the security
issues involved especially if you want to open the server up to show to
outside parties.

Mr. R

darrel said:
For XP, you need XP Pro to use IIS easily.

Doesn't help me I have tried. Using XP Pro. Can it have some thing to do
with the fact that I'm used a very old install CD for XP. Doens't even
include SP1. But of course I have installed SP1, SP2, IE7 and all available
updates. But when I add IIS to the system it asks for the XP Install CD that
I bought 2001. Doesn't help running WIndows Update either. Do I need a newer
XP Pro install CD? I do have the license.
For Vista, I have no idea what edition you need, but I'm guessing the
lesser editions don't make managing IIS very easy.

Don't use Vista on my machines since it doesn't support good Audio devices
or Cubase (yet).
Apache, itself, can't run ASP.net

Mono Project is great, but, really, why bother with ASP.net if you want to
go the Open Source Route? ;0)

Have to create some ASP.NET pages for referens purpose only.

ASP.NET webpages are hot where I live and I need assignments. It's not up to
me it's up to my clients.
For a 'real' server, then, yea, that's why MS sells Windows Server
Operating system. ;0)

Maybe that's why so many use Linux as Webservers?
That said, XP Pro should work for you. Let us know which OS you *are*
running and we can be of more help.

XP Pro. The machine came with XP Home but I think I reinstalled using XP Pro
last fall. Any how the Add/Remoev Programs showed that I can add ISS.

How do I access and edit IIS. Can I access ISS from outside a firewall
supposing I open port 80 on the firewall D-Link-604. Sure IIS is installed
and updated with ´.NET 1.1 but what about .NET 2.0? isn't that the latest
version. And where the *#¤* is it I don't see it on my Desktop, Control
Panel, Program Menu or any where.

Lars

darrel

For Vista, I have no idea what edition you need,

Er, I meant to say which edition of VISTA one needs to make running a web
server viable. Do all versions of Vista support IIS?

-Darrel

darrel

Doesn't help me I have tried. Using XP Pro. Can it have some thing to do
with the fact that I'm used a very old install CD for XP. Doens't even
include SP1. But of course I have installed SP1, SP2, IE7 and all
available updates. But when I add IIS to the system it asks for the XP
Install CD that I bought 2001. Doesn't help running WIndows Update either.
Do I need a newer XP Pro install CD? I do have the license.

Well, it wouldn't hurt.

What specific problem are you having? XP Pro should have IIS already
installed. At that point, you should just have to install the .net framework
and be up and running.
Maybe that's why so many use Linux as Webservers?

Well, if you're a web developer, and serious about .net, then I'd suggest
you dive in and get an MSDN subscription to all the developer apps/OSes.

IMHO, ASP.net is one of those things you either go 'all in' with or you just
don't. If you're all in, get Windows server license, Visual Studo Pro
license, MS SQL license, etc.
How do I access and edit IIS. Can I access ISS from outside a firewall
supposing I open port 80 on the firewall D-Link-604. Sure IIS is installed
and updated with ´.NET 1.1 but what about .NET 2.0? isn't that the latest
version. And where the *#¤* is it I don't see it on my Desktop, Control
Panel, Program Menu or any where.

IIS = MY COMPUTER >> MANAGE >> SERVICES >> IIS

Asp.net frameworks show up under ADD/REMOVE SOFTWARE control panel.

-Darrel

Larry Bud

Hi

I need to set up a server that supports ASP.NET. I will have it in my home
and run on and off for demo projects. The problem is that I don't have then
money to by Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008. I have tried to
install IIS but that doesn't help me at all.

XP Pro, install IIS, then install the .net framework.

Norman Yuan

Unless when you specificly chose installing IIS when you installed the XP
box, the IIS probably did not installed. You need to install it from XP CD
(yes, you need the CD, old or not, as long as lt is XP Pro, not XP Home).
You cannot get IIS installed via Window update.

darrel

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...UTF-8&rlz=1T4GZEZ_en-GBGB252GB252&q=Vista+IIS

Well, that really doesn't narrow it down much. ;o)

I had to click through 5 results before I finally found a mention of Windows
Editions:

"The Windows Vista Starter and Home Editions are targeted at home and
personal users who do not have the need to perform application or web
development. IIS 7 Web Server and FTP Server features are not available on
these editions."

"Vista Home Premium Edition...the majority of the IIS 7 Web Server features
required for web site development are available."

So, I guess the answer is 'no' you need at least Home Premium to run IIS?
But you still might be missing a few features?

-Darrel

Mr. R

Hi

darrel said:
Well, it wouldn't hurt.

What specific problem are you having? XP Pro should have IIS already
installed. At that point, you should just have to install the .net
framework and be up and running.

Well, if you're a web developer, and serious about .net, then I'd suggest
you dive in and get an MSDN subscription to all the developer apps/OSes.

Just one BIG problem... Money :)
IMHO, ASP.net is one of those things you either go 'all in' with or you
just don't. If you're all in, get Windows server license, Visual Studo Pro
license, MS SQL license, etc.

At the moment I'm evaluating Visual Studio 2008.

As an option, I will also look into Delphi.NET since I'm used to Borlands
IDE.
IIS = MY COMPUTER >> MANAGE >> SERVICES >> IIS

Tada now I can see the page http://localhost/iishelp/iis/misc/default.asp

I can start and stop IIS Admin. But how can I see where the web page is
stored.

I also managed to publish my project to the localhost but when I open
http://localhost in IE there's noting there. Does IIS 5.0 really support the
new ASP.NET 2.0 that's included un Visual Studio 2008. How do I upgrade my
IIS 5.0 to the latest version?

How do I tell IIS that the first page to look for is Default.aspx. Also when
got to see Default.aspx in my webbrowser the MasterPage Main.Master didn't
show. WHen VS 2008 fires up a temporarilly localhost it works.

Updating to .NET 1.1 as Windows Update suggested failed. Could that be
because Visual Stuidio installed .NET 2.0? .NET 2.0 works from the VS IDE.

Lars

darrel

Just one BIG problem... Money :)

No argument there. ;o)
Tada now I can see the page http://localhost/iishelp/iis/misc/default.asp

I can start and stop IIS Admin. But how can I see where the web page is
stored.

By defualt, it's likely c:/inetpub/wwwroot/yourFiles

To find out for sure, go to IIS under computer management and expand it to
show the list of all your sites.

Right-click the site and choose properties

Click on the HOME DIRECTORY tab and that will show you where that particular
site is pointing at.
I also managed to publish my project to the localhost but when I open
http://localhost in IE there's noting there. Does IIS 5.0 really support
the
new ASP.NET 2.0 that's included un Visual Studio 2008. How do I upgrade my
IIS 5.0 to the latest version?

You don't upgrade IIS, but, rather, you install the framework on your
computer (ie, it's a windows component).
How do I tell IIS that the first page to look for is Default.aspx.

site > properties > documents
Also when
got to see Default.aspx in my webbrowser the MasterPage Main.Master didn't
show. WHen VS 2008 fires up a temporarilly localhost it works.

Not sure about that issue.
Updating to .NET 1.1 as Windows Update suggested failed. Could that be
because Visual Stuidio installed .NET 2.0? .NET 2.0 works from the VS IDE.

You can have 1.1 and 2.0 side by side. One isn't really an upgrade for the
other. You can have 1.1 sites and 2.0 sites on the same server.

-Darrel

Web Search Store

I'm not much up on this, but I think xp pro should support asp.net if you
have the framework installed, which you can download from microsoft.

I'm running a web site on xp, of course it has limited number of
connections. Either 5 or 10.

Scott

Mr. R

darrel said:
No argument there. ;o)

By defualt, it's likely c:/inetpub/wwwroot/yourFiles

The paged fied up told me it was /inetpub/wwwroot/
To find out for sure, go to IIS under computer management and expand it to
show the list of all your sites.

Got it. Page now showing without PHP support. Just uninstalled all ASP.NET
support. I will swift to a n older version of Visual Studio. version 2008
seamed to buggy. Fields that was available in the demo videos didn't work on
VS 2008 neither did MasterPages. Had to hack code to get that working att
all.

Right-click the site and choose properties

Click on the HOME DIRECTORY tab and that will show you where that
particular site is pointing at.

You don't upgrade IIS, but, rather, you install the framework on your
computer (ie, it's a windows component).

Will upgrade or install the new Frameworks later.
site > properties > documents

Now I'm starting to rock

Isn't news groups a fine thing? The best way of getting fast help.
Not sure about that issue.

You can have 1.1 and 2.0 side by side. One isn't really an upgrade for the
other. You can have 1.1 sites and 2.0 sites on the same server.

It turned out I only had the Service Pack for 2.0 and 3.0. Not the actual
original pack. So I'm reinstalling.

Thanks for your help Darrel

Lars

Mr. R

Thank you all guys for your help getting every thing working.

After uninstalling all .NET packages and Visual Studio 2008 tools then
reinstalling Visual Studio 2008 the homepage is up and running with .NET
support. Heven't tried from out side the net yet. Will do that to morrow.

Lars