Need to trace sequence of server events

John Dalberg

I have a web page with user controls and server controls and some of them
are data bound.

I need a way to find out the sequence of events that get fired from the
point I click a button to the point the page is refreshed. They could be
either with a postback or ajax.

What's the best way to accomplish this?

John Dalberg

Mark Fitzpatrick

John,
When trying to figure out event orders I use a lot of Trace.Write
statements. For controls I'll also add in some text to let me know which
control it is, and which function it is (plus any condition or state
information I need). Then look at the trace.axd page to get it laid out for
me. It's very, very helpful a lot of the time to determine which events are
firing before or after other events when working with lots of user controls
and page timings.