need XML help with nested tables

Steve Klett

(I posted this in ADO group, but I think this group will be better)

Hi-

I need to develop an FAQ section for our website. We would like to break up
the FAQ by products, then categories with each category having n
question/answer pairs.
I would like to pass parameters in the querystring based on what the
product/category the user selected, then populate a datagrid with the
correct set of question/answer

I am pretty new to XML, but basically I made something like this:
<products>
<product>
<name>prod1</name>
<partNum>prod1</partNum>
<categories>
<category>
<name>basic category</name>
<faqs>
<faq>
<question>This is a sample question</question>
<answer>this is the answer</answer>
</faq>
</faqs>
</category>
</categories>
</product>
<product>
<name>prod2</name>
<partNum>prod2</partNum>
<categories>
<category>
<name>basic something or something category</name>
<faqs>
<faq>
<question>This is another question</question>
<answer>and this is another answer</answer>
</faq>
</faqs>
</category>
</categories>
</product>
</products>

So, then I use a DataSet and the ReadXML() method, this result in 5 tables.
I was hoping that it would somehow be nested for me, but the way it is right
now I can't see an easy way to use it the way I want.

the first table lists the products(good)
the second table I can't really tell what is in there
third tables has all the categories, so on and so on.

What is confusing is... what is the point of structuring data hierarchically
in XML file if you can't maintain it? I'm sure you can, but how? Is what
I'm doing not common?

Someone please shed a little light on this for me, I would appreciate it!!

Thanks,
Steve

Mary Chipman

Create a dataset with datarelations between the tables you want
nested. Set the Nested property prior to writing the xml:

ds.Relations["relationName"].Nested = true;

-- Mary
MCW Technologies
http://www.mcwtech.com

neverstill

Hi Mary, thanks for the response.

So I would setup the relationions prior to reading teh XML, correct? Have
you ever seen any examples of this?

Thanks again,
Steve

Mary Chipman said:
[...]

Once you add the data to a dataset you can then set the DataRelations
between the different DataTables. There's examples in online help --
see the topic "Adding a Relationship between Tables". Gotdotnet.com
probably has other examples or tutorials as well. Then once you've set
up the relations, you can then set the nested property to true.

-- Mary
MCW Technologies
http://www.mcwtech.com

Mary Chipman said:
[...]

great, thanks Mary!

Mary Chipman said:
Create a dataset with datarelations between the tables you want
nested. Set the Nested property prior to writing the xml:

ds.Relations["relationName"].Nested = true;

-- Mary
MCW Technologies
http://www.mcwtech.com

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 16:44:58 -0800, "Steve Klett"