Needs a little help with a links column

John

Hello.

I am designing a website and need a little help with my links column
on the left of the site.

When I created the site if I added a new link it would automatically
appear on all pages in the site, however it now doesn't seem to do
that so I think I've done something wrong somewhere along the line.

If you can spot any error in the following code from my links on the
left that is stopping it from updating on all pages I'd be very
grateful.

I am using Dreamweaver for this Html site.

Thanks

John

<ul>
<li>
<h3 class="style2">Links</h3>
</li>
<li><a
<li><a href="http://www.defenddemocracy.org">Defend
</li>
</ul>
<h3 class="style2">Political Parties </h3>
<ul>
<li><a href="www.independenceuk.org.uk">UK Independence Party
</a></li>
<li></li>
</ul>
<h3 class="style2">Leaders</h3>
<ul>
<li><a
href="http://www.conservatives.com/tile.do?def=michael.howard.page"><strong>Rt
<li><a href="http://www.georgewbush.com/">President George W
Bush </a></li>
</ul>
<h3 class="style2">News Channels<br>
<h3 class="style2">Other News</h3>
<ul>
<li> <a href="www.wsj.com">The Wall Street
Journal</a></li>
<li></li>
<li>
<h3 class="style2">Radio</h3>
</li>
<li><a href="http://www.talksport.co.uk/content/70.chtml">Ian
Collins &amp; Mike Parry</a></li>
<li><a href="http://www.radioamerica.org/index.htm">Radio
</li>
<li></li>
</ul>

Barbara de Zoete

If you can spot any error in the following code from my links on the
left that is stopping it from updating on all pages I'd be very
grateful.

I am using Dreamweaver for this Html site.

I stopped looking at your code right after these first two lines. Seems to
me, you have a problem nesting your divs correctly.

rf

John said:
When I created the site if I added a new link it would automatically
appear on all pages in the site, however it now doesn't seem to do
that so I think I've done something wrong somewhere along the line.

This is clearly a dreamweaver problem, not an HTML problem. HTML has no such
thing as automatically causing things to appear on all pages.

You would be better off asking in one of the dreamweaver groups.

mscir

John said:
Hello.

I am designing a website and need a little help with my links column
on the left of the site.
<snip>

I think validating your code would be a good start. I like this free
online validator:

http://validator.w3.org/

Apparently DW can mung up even very simple html. This is a good
opportunity for you to learn more about html. Open the file in a text
editor like Notepad and clean it up manually.

Follow your original format:
- use only one <div>...</div> to enclose all headings and lists
- include only one link per list item
- make sure each <ul> is preceded by the <h3> and doesn't include it.

<h3>...</h3>
<ul>
<li>...</li>
<li>...</li>
</ul>
...repeat for each heading/list combination

Places to look:
<ul>
<li>
<h3 class="style2">Links</h3> < move this line above the <ul>

Make these links into separate list items said:

Remove the this line:
<li></li>

start a new <ul> after <h3> said:
<h3 class="style2">News Channels<br>

Remove this line:

Remove this line:

Remove this line:
<li></li>

Move the said:
<li>
<h3 class="style2">Radio</h3>
</li>

Remove the 2nd closing anchor tag:

Remove unnecessary closing list item tag:

Remove this line:

John

[...]

Thanks very much mate. All this is really helpful as is the validator
site.

I am starting to clean up all my code correctly now.

John

John Ross

mscir said:
<snip>

I think validating your code would be a good start. I like this free
online validator:

http://validator.w3.org/

Apparently DW can mung up even very simple html. This is a good
opportunity for you to learn more about html. Open the file in a text
editor like Notepad and clean it up manually.

Follow your original format:
- use only one <div>...</div> to enclose all headings and lists
- include only one link per list item
- make sure each <ul> is preceded by the <h3> and doesn't include it.

Regarding the not using <br>'s within <ul> tags, did you mean that as a
general rule or just in this case? I didn't get why he had those there
either, but I never heard of any "rule" that you could not use a <br>
within <ul> tags.
If there is one, I would like to know the reasoning.

John

Adrienne

Regarding the not using <br>'s within <ul> tags, did you mean that as a
general rule or just in this case? I didn't get why he had those there
either, but I never heard of any "rule" that you could not use a <br>
within <ul> tags.

If there is one, I would like to know the reasoning.

John

There is no reason for a BR element inside a UL element. If there is not
enough spacing (most people think there is too much), then use CSS to
expand it. Of course, BR inside a LI is fine, ie:

<ul>
<li>I want this to be the first line<br>
and this on the second line</li>
</ul>

Although, even with that statement, a BR in an LI is usually also not
needed because the BR will usually be another list item.