needs a logo

Discussion in 'Python' started by Xah Lee, Jul 23, 2003.

  1. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    it would be good if Bash and Python have a decent logo.

    the current logos of simplistic font
    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/img/bash-org.jpg
    http://python.org/pics/pythonHi.gif
    are homely.

    --
    some quick tips for good logos:

    Good logo is not something generic, even if it is beautifully
    rendered. Example of bad or not very good logos with this problem:

    old gnu hurd logo of just a generic sphere
    http://www.gnu.org/graphics/hurd-logo-sm.jpg

    Fresco Window system of triangles (fresco.org)

    bash of simplistic font
    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/bash/bashtop.html

    python of simplistic font (python.org)

    Better logos should be reminiscent to what it represents. Good
    example's are SGI's computer rendered tube cube illusion, Sun Micro's
    8Us that spells out Sun in 4 directions, Apple's bitten apple, Be
    media company's eye-ear logo, NeXT's geometrical cube, X-Window's
    sharp X, Redhat's redhat, GNU's gnu head, BSD's deamon tyke, MS
    Windows's window, Perl's ugly camel, nVidia's eye, GNU Hurd OS'
    recursive arrows, Shell's seashell, McDonnald's M, Taco Bell's bell,
    Honda's H ...

    Good logo should be distinct, an impression lock, even if it isn't
    reminiscent of what it represents. For example, AT&T's death star
    (globe connotation), Apache feather (Native American, panache),
    Linux's penguine tux (connotes glut with food and sex), Qmail's arrow
    distribution, Yamaha's tuning forks, General Electric's curlicue. Even
    font alone can do very good if in distinctive style: IBM stripped
    blue, coke drink's cursives, ATI's high-tech font, ebay and google's
    colorful fonts.

    Note that successful company's logo are not necessaily good. Examples
    are: SONY, JVC, TOSHIBA, RCA, Microsoft. These are just unremarkable.

    Good logo should not be overly complex. It shouldn't be photographic
    or complex drawings, for examples.

    Here's a related essay on the logo used by functional languages:
    http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/lambda_logo.html

    Thanks.

    Xah
    xahlee.org
    http://xahlee.org/PageTwo_dir/more.html

    Xah Lee, Jul 23, 2003

  2. Skip Montanaro, Jul 23, 2003

  3. Xah Lee

    Alan Gauld Guest

    OT, was: Re: needs a logo

    This is way OT but...

    On 23 Jul 2003 02:44:05 -0700, (Xah Lee) wrote:

    > Better logos should be reminiscent to what it represents. Good
    > example's are ... Shell's seashell,

    I remember my grandfather telling me that the Shell logo
    originated around WW2 time and it represented a shell exploding
    (message => dynamic powerful company) on a building
    and was in two colors. After the war it was deemed
    a bad marketing image to use warlike logos so they
    "re-badged" the company as being around sea shells and
    the logo changed to what we know today.

    I've never seen any other reference to this anywhere.
    Does anyone know of a source (another grandfather?!)
    that can confirm or deny this?

    Just curious,

    Alan G.

    Alan Gauld, Jul 24, 2003
  4. Xah Lee

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Re: OT, was: Re: needs a logo

    Alan Gauld wrote:

    > This is way OT but...
    >
    > On 23 Jul 2003 02:44:05 -0700, (Xah Lee) wrote:
    >
    > > Better logos should be reminiscent to what it represents. Good
    > > example's are ... Shell's seashell,

    > I remember my grandfather telling me that the Shell logo
    > originated around WW2 time and it represented a shell exploding
    > (message => dynamic powerful company) on a building
    > and was in two colors. After the war it was deemed
    > a bad marketing image to use warlike logos so they
    > "re-badged" the company as being around sea shells and
    > the logo changed to what we know today.
    >
    > I've never seen any other reference to this anywhere.
    > Does anyone know of a source (another grandfather?!)
    > that can confirm or deny this?

    Not exactly deny, but at a gallery/museum of design in Rotterdam,
    which I visited two months ago, there was an exhibit showing various
    almost iconic products, including the Shell logo, complete with
    history on their development, and no mention whatsoever was made
    of this background. Perhaps it was sanitized, but for what it's
    worth...

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Jul 25, 2003