Neither IE5 or IE6 will save a cookie

clintonG

Neither IE5 or IE6 will save a cookie using either of the following...

// Hardcode expiration date
document.cookie = "cookieName1=cookieValue1";"expires=Thu, 01-Jan-70
00:00:01 GMT";

// Generate expiration date
var expiry = (new Date().getTime() + 28 * 24 * 60 * 60 * 1000); // Persist
28 days
document.cookie = "cookieName2=cookieValue2"; + "expires=" + expiry;

Testing with Firefox and Netscape confirms a cookie with expected name=value
pairs noting my confirmation process has been the use of internal
mechanisims provided with both FF and NS that IE lacks. So when using IE
I've been trying to use IECookieViewer (very cool app) or the Windows
Explorer file system to try to confirm the writing of the cookie when using
IE but there is no cookie present.

No problems when getting cookies from websites that are visited when using
IE5 or IE6. Just on my local development machine which I have also tried
reconfiguring with regard to Intranet Zone to no avail.

Very confused here. Comments?