Nest table in table invisibly

Discussion in 'HTML' started by bob_jeffcoat@hotmail.com, Nov 26, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I want to nest a table in another table in a way that makes it appear
    that there is only one table. This is because the program I have
    written joins tables together and it looks best if there appears to be
    only one table and it avoids the problems of column spanning. I can
    use this in the nested table in Firefox:

    top: hidden;border-bottom:hidden;border-left:hidden;border-
    right:hidden' >

    and it appears in the outer table just like some extra rows. But in
    IE 7 it doesn't work as it appears with a border around the nested
    table. It is driving me mad. Here is my entire HTML:

    </STYLE>
    </HEAD>
    top: hidden;border-bottom:hidden;border-left:hidden;border-
    right:hidden' >

    Can anyone help me?

    Thanks,

    , Nov 26, 2007

  2. Martin Jay Guest

    On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 11:58:03 -0800 (PST),
    wrote:
    >I want to nest a table in another table in a way that makes it appear
    >that there is only one table. This is because the program I have
    >written joins tables together and it looks best if there appears to be
    >only one table and it avoids the problems of column spanning. I can
    >use this in the nested table in Firefox:

    >top: hidden;border-bottom:hidden;border-left:hidden;border-
    >right:hidden' >
    >
    >and it appears in the outer table just like some extra rows. But in
    >IE 7 it doesn't work as it appears with a border around the nested
    >table. It is driving me mad. Here is my entire HTML:

    Does changing this:

    >top: hidden;border-bottom:hidden;border-left:hidden;border-
    >right:hidden' >

    to:

    none;' >

    give you the effect you want?
    --
    Martin Jay

    Martin Jay, Nov 26, 2007

    On 26 Nov, 21:00, Martin Jay <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 11:58:03 -0800 (PST),
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I want to nest a table in another table in a way that makes it appear
    > >that there is only one table. This is because the program I have
    > >written joins tables together and it looks best if there appears to be
    > >only one table and it avoids the problems of column spanning. I can
    > >use this in the nested table in Firefox:

    > >top: hidden;border-bottom:hidden;border-left:hidden;border-
    > >right:hidden' >

    > >and it appears in the outer table just like some extra rows. But in
    > >IE 7 it doesn't work as it appears with a border around the nested
    > >table. It is driving me mad. Here is my entire HTML:

    > Does changing this:

    > >top: hidden;border-bottom:hidden;border-left:hidden;border-
    > >right:hidden' >

    > to:

    > none;' >
    >
    > give you the effect you want?
    > --
    > Martin Jay

    Hi Martin,
    thanks for the reply.

    It nearly works, but you can still see it's a different table. I want
    to be able to stick tables together and make it look as if it's one
    table. Maybe it's jsut because IE is a bit kronky...

    Thanks anyway,

    , Nov 26, 2007
  4. wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I want to nest a table in another table in a way that makes it appear
    > that there is only one table. This is because the program I have
    > written joins tables together and it looks best if there appears to be
    > only one table and it avoids the problems of column spanning. I can
    > use this in the nested table in Firefox:

    > top: hidden;border-bottom:hidden;border-left:hidden;border-
    > right:hidden' >

    That semicolon after the first "2" isn't going to work.

    > and it appears in the outer table just like some extra rows. But in
    > IE 7 it doesn't work as it appears with a border around the nested
    > table. It is driving me mad. Here is my entire HTML:

    Do you think the "border=2" might be causing a border to appear? Just a
    hunch.

    Harlan Messinger, Nov 26, 2007
  5. dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Harlan Messinger <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I want to nest a table in another table in a way that makes it appear
    > > that there is only one table. This is because the program I have
    > > written joins tables together and it looks best if there appears to be
    > > only one table and it avoids the problems of column spanning. I can
    > > use this in the nested table in Firefox:

    > > top: hidden;border-bottom:hidden;border-left:hidden;border-
    > > right:hidden' >

    > That semicolon after the first "2" isn't going to work.
    > >
    > > and it appears in the outer table just like some extra rows. But in
    > > IE 7 it doesn't work as it appears with a border around the nested
    > > table. It is driving me mad. Here is my entire HTML:

    > Do you think the "border=2" might be causing a border to appear? Just a
    > hunch.

    In any case, op should put the border instruction into the css,
    since he has gone to the trouble of having some inline css. Is it
    clear to anyone why *exactly* op wants a table within a table?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 26, 2007

    On 26 Nov, 23:37, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Harlan Messinger <> wrote:
    >

    > > wrote:
    > > > Hello,

    > > > I want to nest a table in another table in a way that makes it appear
    > > > that there is only one table. This is because the program I have
    > > > written joins tables together and it looks best if there appears to be
    > > > only one table and it avoids the problems of column spanning. I can
    > > > use this in the nested table in Firefox:

    > > > top: hidden;border-bottom:hidden;border-left:hidden;border-
    > > > right:hidden' >

    > > That semicolon after the first "2" isn't going to work.

    > > > and it appears in the outer table just like some extra rows. But in
    > > > IE 7 it doesn't work as it appears with a border around the nested
    > > > table. It is driving me mad. Here is my entire HTML:

    > > Do you think the "border=2" might be causing a border to appear? Just a
    > > hunch.

    > In any case, op should put the border instruction into the css,
    > since he has gone to the trouble of having some inline css. Is it
    > clear to anyone why *exactly* op wants a table within a table?
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    RIGHT, I thought it was only a matter of time before I got this kind
    of 'help'.
    My program generates a number tables for reporting certain things,
    these tables have varying number of columns and sometimes I prefer to
    join then together as it looks nicer. I have tried screwing around
    with the column span on the cells to make all the tables equal width
    but it never looks very good. My program uses an embeded webbrowser
    which seems to insist on being IE so I really need IE to do it.

    Now then, removing the Border = 2 isn't great as it then removes the
    border on the inside of the table. I want my nested table to look
    like the containing table so I want it to have borders on the inside
    between it's rows.

    Tell me the answer

    , Nov 26, 2007

    On 26 Nov, 23:53, wrote:
    > On 26 Nov, 23:37, dorayme <> wrote:
    >

    > > In article <>,
    > > Harlan Messinger <> wrote:

    > > > That semicolon after the first "2" isn't going to work.

    > > > Do you think the "border=2" might be causing a border to appear? Just a
    > > > hunch.

    > > In any case, op should put the border instruction into the css,
    > > since he has gone to the trouble of having some inline css. Is it
    > > clear to anyone why *exactly* op wants a table within a table?

    > > --
    > > dorayme

    > RIGHT, I thought it was only a matter of time before I got this kind
    > of 'help'.
    > My program generates a number tables for reporting certain things,
    > these tables have varying number of columns and sometimes I prefer to
    > join then together as it looks nicer. I have tried screwing around
    > with the column span on the cells to make all the tables equal width
    > but it never looks very good. My program uses an embeded webbrowser
    > which seems to insist on being IE so I really need IE to do it.
    >
    > Now then, removing the Border = 2 isn't great as it then removes the
    > border on the inside of the table. I want my nested table to look
    > like the containing table so I want it to have borders on the inside
    > between it's rows.
    >
    > Tell me the answer

    Oh, and another thing. I'm happy to use a css but it seems somewhat
    irrelevant as stupid IE can't draw it right anyway...

    , Nov 26, 2007
  8. rf Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On 26 Nov, 23:37, dorayme <> wrote:

    > RIGHT, I thought it was only a matter of time before I got this kind
    > of 'help'.

    Without any idea of exactly what you want it is hard to guess what you need.

    Perhaps a drawing of what you want might help. Do it manually with a pencil
    and a peice of paper, scan it and post it on a web site somewhere.

    That notwithstanding:

    Ignore the border attribute, use CSS entirely.

    Go over to the specs at
    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#propdef-border-spacing and have a
    read.

    You will see you have three properties to play with: border, padding and
    border-spacing. Only those three. Juggle them on the two tables as best you
    can. There is quite a good diagram of what goes where in the spec.

    However if what you want is what I think you want then it can't be done, or
    at least I could not do it in the five minutes I have allocated to you. One
    can never remove the border-spacing around the group of cells in that inner
    table. Here is my best effort:
    http://barefile.com.au/t.html

    Play with it at your leisure.

    > Tell me the answer

    Would you like fries with that sir?

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 27, 2007
  9. dorayme Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/27tbnt

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 27, 2007
  10. rf Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <iJJ2j.17401$>,
    > "rf" <> wrote:
    >
    >> > Tell me the answer

    >> Would you like fries with that sir?

    > http://tinyurl.com/27tbnt

    Ah, a redirect to file:/Users/tedkroiter/Sites/droovies/fries.html (at least
    that's what Opera says[1]) - that'll be usefull :)

    [1] IE 6 and 7 say 404. Safari says don't have permission. Firefox does
    nothing at all. Interesting.

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 27, 2007
  11. dorayme Guest

    In article <chK2j.17406$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message

    > >> Would you like fries with that sir?

    > > http://tinyurl.com/27tbnt

    > Ah, a redirect to file:/Users/tedkroiter/Sites/droovies/fries.html (at least
    > that's what Opera says[1]) - that'll be usefull :)
    >
    > [1] IE 6 and 7 say 404. Safari says don't have permission. Firefox does
    > nothing at all. Interesting.

    I trust you did not get my follow up before you sent the above, I
    noticed the problem...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 27, 2007
  12. rf Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <chK2j.17406$>,
    > "rf" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "dorayme" <> wrote in message

    >> > http://tinyurl.com/27tbnt

    >> Ah, a redirect to file:/Users/tedkroiter/Sites/droovies/fries.html (at
    >> least
    >> that's what Opera says[1]) - that'll be usefull :)

    > I trust you did not get my follow up before you sent the above,

    Nope. Still haven't.

    Settled for a prawn roll and a jam donut with cream instead. Yumm.

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 27, 2007
  13. dorayme Guest

    In article <A3L2j.17429$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <chK2j.17406$>,

    > >> Ah, a redirect to file:/Users/tedkroiter/Sites/droovies/fries.html (at
    > >> least
    > >> that's what Opera says[1]) - that'll be usefull :)

    > > I trust you did not get my follow up before you sent the above,

    > Nope. Still haven't.
    >
    > Settled for a prawn roll and a jam donut with cream instead. Yumm.

    I sent the additional urls with choices before I sent a reply to
    you. Just for you, here is yet another url, directly to the film:

    http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/films/fries.wmv

    Or you can download the link via

    http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/fries.html

    (That way we could have a little argument discussion about me the
    reasonableness of putting a link in a heading. I have an essay
    prepared trying to justify it and no, it has nothing to do
    whatsoever with making it big...)

    Prawn roll and jam and cream... How come you have not got a
    cholesterol problem like the rest of us mugs?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 27, 2007
  14. wrote:
    > On 26 Nov, 23:37, dorayme <> wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> Harlan Messinger <> wrote:

    >>> That semicolon after the first "2" isn't going to work.
    >>> Do you think the "border=2" might be causing a border to appear? Just a
    >>> hunch.

    >> In any case, op should put the border instruction into the css,
    >> since he has gone to the trouble of having some inline css. Is it
    >> clear to anyone why *exactly* op wants a table within a table?
    >>
    >> --
    >> dorayme

    > RIGHT, I thought it was only a matter of time before I got this kind
    > of 'help'.
    > My program generates a number tables for reporting certain things,
    > these tables have varying number of columns and sometimes I prefer to
    > join then together as it looks nicer. I have tried screwing around
    > with the column span on the cells to make all the tables equal width
    > but it never looks very good. My program uses an embeded webbrowser
    > which seems to insist on being IE so I really need IE to do it.
    >
    > Now then, removing the Border = 2 isn't great as it then removes the
    > border on the inside of the table. I want my nested table to look
    > like the containing table so I want it to have borders on the inside
    > between it's rows.
    >
    > Tell me the answer

    For your information, I had written an answer above but, once I saw
    these last four words, and took into additional consideration your sneer
    at dorayme's 'help' above, I deleted it. Who do you think you are?

    Harlan Messinger, Nov 27, 2007
  15. wrote:

    > Oh, and another thing. I'm happy to use a css but it seems somewhat
    > irrelevant as stupid IE can't draw it right anyway...

    That's funny. I've been using CSS with IE for years.

    Harlan Messinger, Nov 27, 2007
  16. Ed Mullen Guest

    wrote:

    > Oh, and another thing. I'm happy to use a css but it seems somewhat
    > irrelevant as stupid IE can't draw it right anyway...

    Huh? No thing is perfect and IE is a good example. Still, it does not
    get /everything/ wrong. And there are perfectly acceptable methods to
    account for the differences. So, if I understand your comment, you've
    abandoned using CSS because you either don't understand how to deal with
    CSS and IE or you're just not willing to make the effort?

    Seems a tad short-sighted to me. But, hey, whatever knocks your socks off.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Nov 27, 2007
  17. On Nov 26, 2:58 pm, wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I want to nest a table in another table in a way that makes it appear
    > that there is only one table. This is because the program I have
    > written joins tables together and it looks best if there appears to be
    > only one table and it avoids the problems of column spanning. I can
    > use this in the nested table in Firefox:

    > top: hidden;border-bottom:hidden;border-left:hidden;border-
    > right:hidden' >
    >
    > and it appears in the outer table just like some extra rows. But in
    > IE 7 it doesn't work as it appears with a border around the nested
    > table. It is driving me mad. Here is my entire HTML:

    > </STYLE>
    > </HEAD>
    > top: hidden;border-bottom:hidden;border-left:hidden;border-
    > right:hidden' >
    >
    > Can anyone help me?
    >
    > Thanks,

    I have observed that IE 6.0 gives results that differ from Firefox
    2.0, Netscape 9.0 and Opera 9.23. My efforts to tame IE 6 have failed.
    So I decided to cheat by making the colors of the unwanted borders the
    same as my white background. This fix produces the same appearance in
    my four browsers.

    <HEAD>
    <STYLE TYPE="text/css">
    tr {border-collapse: collapse }
    </STYLE>
    </HEAD>
    <th style="border-color: white; border-style: solid">Design Datum</th>
    <th colspan='2'>Position</th>

    Regards,

    Herbert

    Herbert Blenner, Nov 28, 2007