nested data structures with classes

Discussion in 'Python' started by Joel, Aug 24, 2003.

  1. Joel

    Joel Guest

    [sent to at Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:31:58 but
    didn't seem to show up here]

    Greetings python-list!

    The good news is that I've been having a blast with Python since early
    Spring. I've had great success in both learning the language from
    online / usegroup resources and implementing it in one of my projects.
    However, I can't pretend to be an expert, and I do not have a strong
    comp sci background.

    This is a question that I've had for a while. Usually, I'll stumble
    across the answer with repeated attempts and re-searching the groups,
    but I didn't have luck with this one, even in a Dietel book I picked
    up at the library. I'm assuming there's an obvious answer, so maybe
    ya'll can save me some time.

    My Python use involves organizing nested list information. In a
    simplified example, you could imagine a list of reactants and products
    in a chemical reaction. Thus,

    len(nested_list_of_reactants) = len(nested_list_of_products) =>
    "number of reactions"
    where: nested_list_of_reactants => "list of reactants for reaction
    i"
    where: nested_list_of_reactants[j] => "reactant j of reaction i"

    And so forth. Obviously, there are many attributes associated with a
    specific reaction. Currently, I just pass these attribute lists
    (nested and non-nested) into and out of functions. However, I'd like
    to be able to create a class that would streamline this.

    E.g., (this is a MATLAB structure whose qualities I'd like to
    emulate):
    reaction(27).name = 'fawlty towers'
    reaction(27).reactant(2).name = 'john cleese'

    Currently, I'd have a list and a nested list to take care of this...
    reaction_name[27] = 'fawlty towers' and reactants[27][2] = 'john
    cleese' if this makes sense.

    Any thoughts or suggestions on this type of data structuring would be
    greatly appreciated. Python love, Joel
    Joel, Aug 24, 2003

  2. Joel

    Tyler Eaves Guest

    Maybe you could use dictionaries?

    ie:

    reaction['name'] = 'fawlty towers'
    reaction['reactant'] = []
    reaction['reactant'].append(anotherdict)

    etc...
    Tyler Eaves, Aug 24, 2003