Nested Datalist Formatting Problems

Matt

I'm having trouble getting a nested datalist to display properly. It needs
to be displayed in three columns. When the nested datalist has one item or
more in it, it stretches the rest of the row height to be the same as the
one that is expanded, putting spaces around the parent datalist items.

I know this is how a table is rendered, but isn't there a way to make this
more dynamic, so that each column is stand-alone, perhaps in its own table?
The inclusion of a nested datalist shouldn't distort the rest of the data
layout.

Flow layout doesn't help.