Nested DIVs - is there a better way?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Guadala Harry, Oct 26, 2004.

  1. Please follow my thinking here and tell me if I'm nuts or if this is a
    reasonable thing to do given the objective:

    I'd like to present 3 data values on an aspx page - each styled uniquely,
    and the total width to be limited to some arbitrary value (400px or so).

    Given that I'd like to limit the total width, I can't use a <td> because the
    width specified for a <td> specifies a minimum and not a maximum.
    Consequently I'll use a DIV because I can specify a width that is the
    maximum (anything exceeding that maximum will wrap automatically - which is
    what I want).

    That takes care of the overall width being limited. Now we still have to
    style each of the 3 data values uniquely (will be using css - as in
    class=x). The requirement to format each data value uniquely will be met by
    placing each data value in its own DIV for which the css class is specified.

    My concern is that this all results in three DIVs nested within another DIV
    (the 3 for the data values and the "outer DIV" to limit the overall width).
    Maybe this is a reasonable thing to do - maybe not.

    FWIW: these nested DIVs would be located within a <TD> for general placement
    on the page - as I'm using a table layout.

    Is this a reasonable way to get the desired result or is there a better way?

    Thanks!
    Guadala Harry, Oct 26, 2004

  2. There's nothing wrong with what you're describing. However, I would like to
    point out that a table doesn't have to stretch horizontally. It can wrap as
    well, which results in stretching it vertically, just like a div. Of course,
    with a div you can also add scroll bars, so it doesn't have to change size
    at all.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Oct 26, 2004

  3. Thanks for the quick feedback and the clarification on <TD> width... just
    tested and found my understanding to be incorrect as you pointed out.
    Thanks.

    -GH

    Guadala Harry, Oct 26, 2004