nested divs - newbie question

Bernd Liebermann

Hi,

my problem seems to be quite simple but i haven't found the answer yet:

i have one outer div containing two absolutely positioned inner divs.
The height of the inner divs varies on the amount of content. Now the
outer div's height should grow with the inner divs' height. how can this
be achieved?

example: http://www.bernd-liebermann.de/css_test.php

Thanks for your help!

Bernd Liebermann

Matthias Gutfeldt

Bernd said:
my problem seems to be quite simple but i haven't found the answer yet:

i have one outer div containing two absolutely positioned inner divs.
The height of the inner divs varies on the amount of content. Now the
outer div's height should grow with the inner divs' height. how can this
be achieved?
example: http://www.bernd-liebermann.de/css_test.php

Impossible.

"Absolutely positioned boxes are taken out of the normal flow."
<http://w3c.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#propdef-position>

Think about what you're trying to achieve, and find a different
solution. Lots of CSS layouts here:
<http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=CssLayouts>

Matthias

Travis Newbury

my problem seems to be quite simple but i haven't found the answer yet:
i have one outer div containing two absolutely positioned inner divs.
The height of the inner divs varies on the amount of content. Now the
outer div's height should grow with the inner divs' height. how can this
be achieved?

You would probably have to use tables to do simulate that. <insert your
favorite table less layout quote here>