Nested lists

Luigi Donatello Asero

Hi,
I am trying to create nested lists.
I would like to have an ordered list which is divided in 3 paragraphs.
In order to do that, I thought I might write an unordered horizontal list
which would include three ordered lists.
It does not seem to work though.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Hi,
I am trying to create nested lists.
I would like to have an ordered list which is divided in 3 paragraphs.
In order to do that, I thought I might write an unordered horizontal list
which would include three ordered lists.
It does not seem to work though.

Sorry, I forgot to write the URL of the page with these lists.
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/test.html

Luigi Donatello Asero

Els said:

Well, actually, it should be the same list which begins in the first column
on the left,
goes in the second column in the middle and finishes in the third column on
the right.
That means that if the elements in the first column are ordered with numbers
progressing from 1 to 10, for example, so the second column should begin
with number 11 and going on till number 20 and the third column should begin
with number 21 and finishing with the last item of the list.

Mitja

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Well, actually, it should be the same list which begins in the first
column on the left,
goes in the second column in the middle and finishes in the third
column on the right.
That means that if the elements in the first column are ordered with
numbers progressing from 1 to 10, for example, so the second column
should begin with number 11 and going on till number 20 and the third
column should begin with number 21 and finishing with the last item
of the list.

Like the columns in MS Word, then. No way you can do this with CSS
(maintaining fixed height and making colums wrap automatically.) Use server
side scripting or manual editing to split the list as needed.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Mitja said:
Like the columns in MS Word, then. No way you can do this with CSS
(maintaining fixed height and making colums wrap automatically.) Use server
side scripting or manual editing to split the list as needed.

Cannot I use nested lists and change the number by which each list should
begin, setting 1 for the first, 11 for the second and 21 for the third?

Sid Ismail

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:27:26 GMT, "Luigi Donatello Asero"

: Well, actually, it should be the same list which begins in the first column
: on the left,
: goes in the second column in the middle and finishes in the third column on
: the right.
: That means that if the elements in the first column are ordered with numbers
: progressing from 1 to 10, for example, so the second column should begin
: with number 11 and going on till number 20 and the third column should begin
: with number 21 and finishing with the last item of the list.

Tables. That's what it's for.

Sid

Neal

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:27:26 GMT, "Luigi Donatello Asero"

: Well, actually, it should be the same list which begins in the first
column
: on the left,
: goes in the second column in the middle and finishes in the third
column on
: the right.
: That means that if the elements in the first column are ordered with
numbers
: progressing from 1 to 10, for example, so the second column should
begin
: with number 11 and going on till number 20 and the third column should
begin
: with number 21 and finishing with the last item of the list.

Tables. That's what it's for.

Doesn't address the numbering, however. Unless you manually number, which
is fine.

But I disagree that a table works like that.

1 6 11
2 7 12
3 8 13
4 9 14
5 10 15

This doesn't compare on two axes. Every table I've ever learned about has
something in common across, and something in common down. Like a calendar
- each column is a day of the week, each row is a particular week.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Neal said:
Doesn't address the numbering, however. Unless you manually number, which
is fine.

But I disagree that a table works like that.

1 6 11
2 7 12
3 8 13
4 9 14
5 10 15

This doesn't compare on two axes. Every table I've ever learned about has
something in common across, and something in common down. Like a calendar
- each column is a day of the week, each row is a particular week.

I could use one data for each article and that would be how many pieces
there are of such an article.
Some articles are also defined according to the colour, so I could use the
colour for some.
However, the number of articles is very long and that is why I was thinking
of a list.
Another alternative would be to have an unordered horizontal list like this
one:
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/test2.html

Mitja

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Cannot I use nested lists and change the number by which each list
should begin, setting 1 for the first, 11 for the second and 21 for
the third?

As Neal pointed out, you can (either HTML 4.01 transitional or css2, but the
latter is very poorly supported:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/generate.html). But that makes for manual
editing, since you have to explicitly define where one column ends and the
next one begins.

Sid Ismail

: Doesn't address the numbering, however. Unless you manually number, which
: is fine.

Yep - you should manually number them. Of course.

Sid