Nested lists

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 4, 2004.

  1. Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 4, 2004

    news:7U%vc.1192$...
    > Hi,
    > I am trying to create nested lists.
    > I would like to have an ordered list which is divided in 3 paragraphs.
    > In order to do that, I thought I might write an unordered horizontal list
    > which would include three ordered lists.
    > It does not seem to work though.

    Sorry, I forgot to write the URL of the page with these lists.
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/test.html

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/prezziaffittosvezialjungskile.html

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 4, 2004

  3. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Els Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > I would like to have an ordered list which is divided in 3 paragraphs.
    > In order to do that, I thought I might write an unordered horizontal list
    > which would include three ordered lists.
    > It does not seem to work though.

    Like this?
    http://locusmeus.com/temp/nestedlist.html

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Jun 4, 2004
  4. "Els" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > I would like to have an ordered list which is divided in 3 paragraphs.
    > > In order to do that, I thought I might write an unordered horizontal

    list
    > > which would include three ordered lists.
    > > It does not seem to work though.

    > Like this?
    > http://locusmeus.com/temp/nestedlist.html

    Well, actually, it should be the same list which begins in the first column
    on the left,
    goes in the second column in the middle and finishes in the third column on
    the right.
    That means that if the elements in the first column are ordered with numbers
    progressing from 1 to 10, for example, so the second column should begin
    with number 11 and going on till number 20 and the third column should begin
    with number 21 and finishing with the last item of the list.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 4, 2004
  5. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Mitja Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero <>
    (news:ia3wc.94608$) wrote:
    > "Els" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would like to have an ordered list which is divided in 3
    >>> paragraphs. In order to do that, I thought I might write an
    >>> unordered horizontal list which would include three ordered lists.
    >>> It does not seem to work though.

    >> Like this?
    >> http://locusmeus.com/temp/nestedlist.html

    > Well, actually, it should be the same list which begins in the first
    > column on the left,
    > goes in the second column in the middle and finishes in the third
    > column on the right.
    > That means that if the elements in the first column are ordered with
    > numbers progressing from 1 to 10, for example, so the second column
    > should begin with number 11 and going on till number 20 and the third
    > column should begin with number 21 and finishing with the last item
    > of the list.

    Like the columns in MS Word, then. No way you can do this with CSS
    (maintaining fixed height and making colums wrap automatically.) Use server
    side scripting or manual editing to split the list as needed.

    Mitja, Jun 4, 2004
  6. "Mitja" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero <>
    > (news:ia3wc.94608$) wrote:
    > > "Els" <> skrev i meddelandet

    > >> Like this?
    > >> http://locusmeus.com/temp/nestedlist.html

    > > Well, actually, it should be the same list which begins in the first
    > > column on the left,
    > > goes in the second column in the middle and finishes in the third
    > > column on the right.
    > > That means that if the elements in the first column are ordered with
    > > numbers progressing from 1 to 10, for example, so the second column
    > > should begin with number 11 and going on till number 20 and the third
    > > column should begin with number 21 and finishing with the last item
    > > of the list.

    > Like the columns in MS Word, then. No way you can do this with CSS
    > (maintaining fixed height and making colums wrap automatically.) Use

    server
    > side scripting or manual editing to split the list as needed.

    Cannot I use nested lists and change the number by which each list should
    begin, setting 1 for the first, 11 for the second and 21 for the third?
    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 4, 2004
  7. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Neal Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 20:14:24 GMT, Luigi Donatello Asero
    <> wrote:

    > Cannot I use nested lists and change the number by which each list should
    > begin, setting 1 for the first, 11 for the second and 21 for the third?

    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/lists.html#adef-start

    The start attribute is deprecated in HTML4.01 strict, valid in
    transitional and 3.2.

    Neal, Jun 4, 2004
  8. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:27:26 GMT, "Luigi Donatello Asero"
    <> wrote:

    : Well, actually, it should be the same list which begins in the first column
    : on the left,
    : goes in the second column in the middle and finishes in the third column on
    : the right.
    : That means that if the elements in the first column are ordered with numbers
    : progressing from 1 to 10, for example, so the second column should begin
    : with number 11 and going on till number 20 and the third column should begin
    : with number 21 and finishing with the last item of the list.

    Tables. That's what it's for.

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Jun 5, 2004
  9. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Neal Guest

    On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 01:05:47 +0200, Sid Ismail <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:27:26 GMT, "Luigi Donatello Asero"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > : Well, actually, it should be the same list which begins in the first
    > column
    > : on the left,
    > : goes in the second column in the middle and finishes in the third
    > column on
    > : the right.
    > : That means that if the elements in the first column are ordered with
    > numbers
    > : progressing from 1 to 10, for example, so the second column should
    > begin
    > : with number 11 and going on till number 20 and the third column should
    > begin
    > : with number 21 and finishing with the last item of the list.
    >

    > Tables. That's what it's for.

    Doesn't address the numbering, however. Unless you manually number, which
    is fine.

    But I disagree that a table works like that.

    1 6 11
    2 7 12
    3 8 13
    4 9 14
    5 10 15

    This doesn't compare on two axes. Every table I've ever learned about has
    something in common across, and something in common down. Like a calendar
    - each column is a day of the week, each row is a particular week.

    Neal, Jun 5, 2004
  10. "Neal" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 01:05:47 +0200, Sid Ismail <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:27:26 GMT, "Luigi Donatello Asero"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > : Well, actually, it should be the same list which begins in the first
    > > column
    > > : on the left,
    > > : goes in the second column in the middle and finishes in the third
    > > column on
    > > : the right.
    > > : That means that if the elements in the first column are ordered with
    > > numbers
    > > : progressing from 1 to 10, for example, so the second column should
    > > begin
    > > : with number 11 and going on till number 20 and the third column should
    > > begin
    > > : with number 21 and finishing with the last item of the list.
    > >

    > > Tables. That's what it's for.

    > Doesn't address the numbering, however. Unless you manually number, which
    > is fine.
    >
    > But I disagree that a table works like that.
    >
    > 1 6 11
    > 2 7 12
    > 3 8 13
    > 4 9 14
    > 5 10 15
    >
    > This doesn't compare on two axes. Every table I've ever learned about has
    > something in common across, and something in common down. Like a calendar
    > - each column is a day of the week, each row is a particular week.

    I could use one data for each article and that would be how many pieces
    there are of such an article.
    Some articles are also defined according to the colour, so I could use the
    colour for some.
    However, the number of articles is very long and that is why I was thinking
    of a list.
    Another alternative would be to have an unordered horizontal list like this
    one:
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/test2.html

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 5, 2004
  11. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Mitja Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero <>
    (news:AK4wc.94614$) wrote:
    > "Mitja" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >> Luigi Donatello Asero <>
    >> (news:ia3wc.94608$) wrote:
    >>> "Els" <> skrev i meddelandet

    >>> Well, actually, it should be the same list which begins in the first
    >>> column on the left,
    >>> goes in the second column in the middle and finishes in the third
    >>> column on the right.
    >>> That means that if the elements in the first column are ordered with
    >>> numbers progressing from 1 to 10, for example, so the second column
    >>> should begin with number 11 and going on till number 20 and the
    >>> third column should begin with number 21 and finishing with the
    >>> last item of the list.

    >> Like the columns in MS Word, then. No way you can do this with CSS
    >> (maintaining fixed height and making colums wrap automatically.) Use
    >> server side scripting or manual editing to split the list as needed.

    > Cannot I use nested lists and change the number by which each list
    > should begin, setting 1 for the first, 11 for the second and 21 for
    > the third?

    As Neal pointed out, you can (either HTML 4.01 transitional or css2, but the
    latter is very poorly supported:
    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/generate.html). But that makes for manual
    editing, since you have to explicitly define where one column ends and the
    next one begins.

    Mitja, Jun 5, 2004
  12. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 19:07:28 -0400, Neal <> wrote:

    : Doesn't address the numbering, however. Unless you manually number, which
    : is fine.

    Yep - you should manually number them. Of course.

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Jun 5, 2004