Nested Web Applications / Subweb (Sub Web) and SESSION

Harry Pfleger

We have something like the following

Root: http://Some.Domain.Com (Configured as an application on IIS)
Sub: http://Some.Domain.Com/Project1 (Configured as an Application on
IIS)
Sub: http://Some.Domain.Com/Project2 (Configured as an Application on
IIS)

We what to share the session between all of this applications.

is this possible? how?
I read (and tried) to get rid of the application, but I am questining if
this is the right thing to do?

thankx for some feedbacks
cheers Harry

bruce barker

you will need to write an outof proc session manager (so data can be shared
across appdomains), and tie your session cookie to the domain, not the site.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Harry,

As for this problem, I agree with Bruce , since the different application
in IIS ( virutal dir that configured as applicatoin) will have separate
sessionstate and application state, there haven't any buildin means to
share them. we have to implement our own Session management ( for example ,
store in database and access them via our own interfaces) if we need to
share them among multi separate applications.
Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Harry Pfleger

Thankx for the feedback! We probably go for the database solution or step
away from the sub-web thing.
Cheers Harry

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

You're welcome Harry!

Thanks again for your posting and always feel free to post here if you meet
any new problem next time:)