    Any this else I should be aware of?

    Please point me in the right direction.

    Thanks a Lot

    .NET Developer, Dec 24, 2003

  2. Yes, it's totally configurable.
    You can migrate a few apps at a time if you wish.
    Here's all the details:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=820106
    http://www.asp.net/faq/SideBySide.aspx
    http://www.3leaf.com/resources/articles/sbs.aspx

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    ".NET Developer" <> wrote in message
    > Currently all of our Dev/Test/Production servers have .NET Framework 1.0

    on

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Dec 24, 2003

  3. ".NET Developer" <> wrote in message
    > Currently all of our Dev/Test/Production servers have .NET Framework 1.0

    on
    > WIN 2000 servers. We use VS.NET 2002 for development. We have various
    > applications such as InterNet app, IntraNet app, Windows service,
    > Executables, Webservices etc written in C# . We are planning to migrate to
    > .NET Framework 1.1 and VS.NET 2003. But the OS is going to remain the same
    > WIN 2000.
    >
    > What are the things I need to take care or know about?

    Run on a test machine first for older apps.

    > Any potential issues I should be aware of?

    1. Some breaking changes, primarily in XML namespace.

    > Is it possible to migrate few applications at a time even though many of
    > these applications run on a single server? (Dev/Test/Prod servers are
    > different but internet apps run on 1 server, intranet apps on a server,
    > services on a server)

    Yes, as you can configure, but do it this way:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnhcvs03/html/vs03f6.asp

    When you run 1.1 install, it will upgrade all apps. Go back and downgrade
    all to 1.0. When you get one certified in 1.1, use the article to ONLY move
    that app to 1.1.

    > Can the Dev machine have both 1.0/1.1 and VS 2002/VS 2003?

    Yes, all devs did at my last job.

    > During the migration process if any production support issues come up we
    > should be able to use 1.0, VS 2002 and apply the patch. Is this possible?

    Yes, as long as you make sure the app is 1.0 on the production server (using
    the configuration article above if not).

    > What precautions I should take at the earlier stages?

    1. Install on dev servers first and work out kinks. Any apps with 1.0 >> 1.1
    compat problems should be grounded 1.0 using the aspnet_regiis -sn
    2. Move to test and do the same process

    Then, by the time you get to production everything is fine.

    > Any this else I should be aware of?

    I migrated quite a few 1.0 apps to 1.1 and only had one that had any
    problems. It heavily used XML, which was the source of the problem. While I
    advise caution above, you will unlikely find many problems simply
    recompiling in 1.1 and deploying.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Dec 24, 2003
  4. Thanks to the great guys who responded. I was able to install 1.1 on the dev
    machines and convert all the applications to 1.1. I did not run into any
    problem except with an WINDOWS app that is beging accessed thru a website.
    So I need your help.

    The windows application app.exe is hosted on a website. Users can access the
    app like http://application/app.exe. We have also used windows active
    directory groups to give limited access to various groups. app.exe is
    written in 1.0. Now I installed 1.1 on the dev machine and ran
    "C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\aspnet_regiis -r" to make sure
    all the applications that are written in 1.0 are still running. Because when
    we go live with 1.1 some of the applications may be still running on 1.0.
    All the web applications are still functioning properly after running the
    above command except this win app app.exe. When I go to
    http://application/app.exe I get "Anexception 'system.argumentException' has
    occured in IEExec.exe" error. I am not sure what the cause is. But when I
    went to the windows folder and double click on app.exe the application is
    opened. Any idea what is the error?

    Please help.

    .NET Developer, Jan 13, 2004