.NET 1.0/1.1, VS 2002/VS 2003

.NET Developer

Currently all of our Dev/Test/Production servers have .NET Framework 1.0 on
WIN 2000 servers. We use VS.NET 2002 for development. We have various
applications such as InterNet app, IntraNet app, Windows service,
Executables, Webservices etc written in C# . We are planning to migrate to
..NET Framework 1.1 and VS.NET 2003. But the OS is going to remain the same
WIN 2000.

What are the things I need to take care or know about?
Any potential issues I should be aware of?
Is it possible to migrate few applications at a time even though many of
these applications run on a single server? (Dev/Test/Prod servers are
different but internet apps run on 1 server, intranet apps on a server,
services on a server)
Can the Dev machine have both 1.0/1.1 and VS 2002/VS 2003?
During the migration process if any production support issues come up we
should be able to use 1.0, VS 2002 and apply the patch. Is this possible?
What precautions I should take at the earlier stages?
Any this else I should be aware of?

Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks a Lot

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

.NET Developer said:
Currently all of our Dev/Test/Production servers have .NET Framework 1.0 on
WIN 2000 servers. We use VS.NET 2002 for development. We have various
applications such as InterNet app, IntraNet app, Windows service,
Executables, Webservices etc written in C# . We are planning to migrate to
.NET Framework 1.1 and VS.NET 2003. But the OS is going to remain the same
WIN 2000.

What are the things I need to take care or know about?

Run on a test machine first for older apps.
Any potential issues I should be aware of?

1. Some breaking changes, primarily in XML namespace.
Is it possible to migrate few applications at a time even though many of
these applications run on a single server? (Dev/Test/Prod servers are
different but internet apps run on 1 server, intranet apps on a server,
services on a server)

Yes, as you can configure, but do it this way:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnhcvs03/html/vs03f6.asp

When you run 1.1 install, it will upgrade all apps. Go back and downgrade
all to 1.0. When you get one certified in 1.1, use the article to ONLY move
that app to 1.1.
Can the Dev machine have both 1.0/1.1 and VS 2002/VS 2003?

Yes, all devs did at my last job.
During the migration process if any production support issues come up we
should be able to use 1.0, VS 2002 and apply the patch. Is this possible?

Yes, as long as you make sure the app is 1.0 on the production server (using
the configuration article above if not).
What precautions I should take at the earlier stages?

1. Install on dev servers first and work out kinks. Any apps with 1.0 >> 1.1
compat problems should be grounded 1.0 using the aspnet_regiis -sn
2. Move to test and do the same process

Then, by the time you get to production everything is fine.
Any this else I should be aware of?

I migrated quite a few 1.0 apps to 1.1 and only had one that had any
problems. It heavily used XML, which was the source of the problem. While I
advise caution above, you will unlikely find many problems simply
recompiling in 1.1 and deploying.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

.NET Developer

Thanks to the great guys who responded. I was able to install 1.1 on the dev
machines and convert all the applications to 1.1. I did not run into any
problem except with an WINDOWS app that is beging accessed thru a website.
So I need your help.

The windows application app.exe is hosted on a website. Users can access the
app like http://application/app.exe. We have also used windows active
directory groups to give limited access to various groups. app.exe is
written in 1.0. Now I installed 1.1 on the dev machine and ran
"C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\aspnet_regiis -r" to make sure
all the applications that are written in 1.0 are still running. Because when
we go live with 1.1 some of the applications may be still running on 1.0.
All the web applications are still functioning properly after running the
above command except this win app app.exe. When I go to
http://application/app.exe I get "Anexception 'system.argumentException' has
occured in IEExec.exe" error. I am not sure what the cause is. But when I
went to the windows folder and double click on app.exe the application is
opened. Any idea what is the error?

Please help.