    lightwighted, we don't really need a database. Also, we don't want our
    client to install SQL Express or to use SQL server.

    Thanks..

    00_DotNetWarrior, May 13, 2006

  2. 00_DotNetWarrior

    the4man Guest

    Yes, even it's posible to use an Access database if you want. You have
    to change the default provider for another one. Microsoft has a
    provider for Access
    (http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/downloads/providers/), and you can
    build your own provider with work and patient.

    the4man, May 13, 2006

  3. Hi DotNetWarrior...

    From what I have "heard" but not "implemented", the grandest thing about
    ASP.NET 2.0 nowadays is the Provider Model. You can configure the provider
    you want to use in the Web.Config. This allows you to create you own
    providers for whatever functionality (in this case, Membership) you are
    seeking. For example, if you have a file named "foo.txt" and you wanted to
    base all you authentication on that, you can create a FooMembershipProvider
    to implement it.

    Regards,

    Michael Bosch

    Michael Bosch, May 13, 2006
  4. re:
    > it forces me to use "AspNetSqlProvider" as provider.
    >
    > Is it possible to change it to something else? like a plain XML file?

    At this page :
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/ASPNETProvMod_Prt1.asp

    there's sample code for a ReadOnlyXmlMembershipProvider.

    It does not support programmatically adding users, or changing passwords, though.
    It's intended for read-only membership services.

    You can add users/change passwords via a separate XML parse/write operation.

    Maybe that's enough for you ?

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, May 13, 2006
  5. 00_DotNetWarrior

    sloan Guest

    The new way that Microsoft is doing things is.

    they create and use an abstract class in the code, for their controls.
    They ship with the framework, a class that implements the abstract class.

    This way it works "out of the box".

    Realizing that it won't satify all/many customer needs, you have the ability
    to create your own class ( inheriting the abstract class Microsoft
    provides ) and then write your own code to handle the abstract methods.
    (mustinherit I think in vb.net)

    Then, you override the class which ships with dotnet, in the .config file.

    Its not trivial to create your own. it takes some work.

    Depending on the project, you can either learn how to use it "out of the
    box", or use the previously provided links to find some other people who
    have create their own version.

    But nothing is free. You either can tackle the setup and learning curve of
    using the code "out of the box", or you can write/"borrow" other code to
    replace the out of the box code.

    sloan, May 13, 2006
  6. 00_DotNetWarrior

    PeterKellner Guest

    >I am using .NET 2.0 Security to do login/password management, but in the
    >ASP.NET web site administration page, it forces me to use
    >"AspNetSqlProvider" as provider.
    >
    > Is it possible to change it to something else? like a plain XML file?
    > without using SQL Database? Since our application is extremely
    > lightwighted, we don't really need a database. Also, we don't want our
    > client to install SQL Express or to use SQL server.
    >
    > Thanks..

    In the book "Pro ASP.NET 2.0 in C# 2005" is full xml exmaple of membership
    provider.

    Starting on page 870. Published by Apress (www.apress.com). Probably
    source is on line.

    (sorry for the double post, newsreader problem)

    PeterKellner, May 13, 2006
  7. re:
    > Probably source is on line.

    It is :