.Net 2.0: web site not running

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Markus, Mar 9, 2005.

  1. Markus

    Markus Guest

    Hi

    i'm trying to run a .Net web site perfectly working with .Net version
    1.1 under visual studio 2005 beta 2.
    accessing the site using debug mode works smoothly but when i publish
    the site to a web site and try to access it i always get this error

    Failed to access IIS metabase.

    Exception Details: System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironmentException:
    Failed to access IIS metabase.

    The process account used to run ASP.NET must have read access to the
    IIS metabase (e.g. IIS://servername/W3SVC). For information on
    modifying metabase permissions, please see
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=267904.

    using the metaacl tool didn't help at all.
    what did I miss?

    tia
    Markus
    Markus, Mar 9, 2005

  2. Markus

    Scott Allen Guest

    Hi Markus:

    When does the exception occur - when you are running your application
    or when you are deploying?

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

    Scott Allen, Mar 9, 2005

  3. Hi Scott

    thanks for looking into this.
    deploying to a web site works without error.
    then accessing the default.aspx fails in the described way.

    my development box is a windows xp professional sp2 with iis 5.1.

    Markus

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFya3Vz?=, Mar 10, 2005
  4. Markus

    Scott Allen Guest

    Hey Markus:

    Offhand I don't know the source of the error. Does your code try to
    modify the metabase? Do you know what account your asp.net code is
    executing under?

    You might want to enable some auditing to see if you can get more
    information from the event log:
    http://www.pluralsight.com/keith/book/html/howto_enableauditing.html

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

    Scott Allen, Mar 10, 2005
  5. Hey Scott,
    i'll give it a try with auditing.

    coming back to your question,
    there is no code modification of the metabase whatsoever. the users are
    connecting to the application using windows authentication, the accounts i
    tested with are admins on the appserver.
    isn't the code executed under this user id?

    any idea on how i can modify the metabase according to the error message?

    thanks
    Markus

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFya3Vz?=, Mar 10, 2005
  6. Markus

    Scott Allen Guest

    Hi Markus:

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 07:27:06 -0800, Markus
    <> wrote:

    >Hey Scott,
    >i'll give it a try with auditing.
    >
    >coming back to your question,
    >there is no code modification of the metabase whatsoever. the users are
    >connecting to the application using windows authentication, the accounts i
    >tested with are admins on the appserver.
    >isn't the code executed under this user id?

    Only if you tell asp.net to impersonate the client (<identity
    impersonate="true"/> in the web.config). Otherwise the ASPNET (IIS 5)
    or NETWORK SERVICE (IIS 6) local accounts are doing the work by
    default.

    >any idea on how i can modify the metabase according to the error message?

    I'd give impersonation a try to see if it can solve the error. I
    wouldn't want to lessen the permissions on the metabase unless I
    really had to.

    On the other hand this seems like a strange error to see if you are
    not trying to modify the metabase intentionally. Perhaps reinstalling
    ASP.NET on the machine (with aspnet_regiis -i) might be helpful.

    Scott Allen, Mar 10, 2005
  7. Hi Scott,

    this is Microsoft Beta country, so never forget the reinstall option ;-)
    I've upgraded my machine to a newer build, (3 GB downloads are not that
    common and not done on a daily basis) and now the problem is gone.

    again thanks for your assistance.

    Markus

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFya3Vz?=, Mar 14, 2005
  8. Markus

    Scott Allen Guest

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 02:43:04 -0800, Markus
    <> wrote:

    >Hi Scott,
    >
    >this is Microsoft Beta country, so never forget the reinstall option ;-)
    >I've upgraded my machine to a newer build, (3 GB downloads are not that
    >common and not done on a daily basis) and now the problem is gone.
    >
    >again thanks for your assistance.

    No problem, glad it worked out. Some of those CTP builds especially
    can be wonky.

    Scott Allen, Mar 14, 2005