.Net 2.0: web site not running

Markus

Hi

i'm trying to run a .Net web site perfectly working with .Net version
1.1 under visual studio 2005 beta 2.
accessing the site using debug mode works smoothly but when i publish
the site to a web site and try to access it i always get this error

Failed to access IIS metabase.

Exception Details: System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironmentException:
Failed to access IIS metabase.

The process account used to run ASP.NET must have read access to the
IIS metabase (e.g. IIS://servername/W3SVC). For information on
modifying metabase permissions, please see
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=267904.

using the metaacl tool didn't help at all.
what did I miss?

tia
Markus

Scott Allen

Hi Markus:

When does the exception occur - when you are running your application
or when you are deploying?

Guest

Hi Scott

thanks for looking into this.
deploying to a web site works without error.
then accessing the default.aspx fails in the described way.

my development box is a windows xp professional sp2 with iis 5.1.

Markus

Guest

Hey Scott,
i'll give it a try with auditing.

coming back to your question,
there is no code modification of the metabase whatsoever. the users are
connecting to the application using windows authentication, the accounts i
tested with are admins on the appserver.
isn't the code executed under this user id?

any idea on how i can modify the metabase according to the error message?

thanks
Markus

Scott Allen

Hi Markus:

Hey Scott,
i'll give it a try with auditing.

coming back to your question,
there is no code modification of the metabase whatsoever. the users are
connecting to the application using windows authentication, the accounts i
tested with are admins on the appserver.
isn't the code executed under this user id?

Only if you tell asp.net to impersonate the client (<identity
impersonate="true"/> in the web.config). Otherwise the ASPNET (IIS 5)
or NETWORK SERVICE (IIS 6) local accounts are doing the work by
default.
any idea on how i can modify the metabase according to the error message?

I'd give impersonation a try to see if it can solve the error. I
wouldn't want to lessen the permissions on the metabase unless I
really had to.

On the other hand this seems like a strange error to see if you are
not trying to modify the metabase intentionally. Perhaps reinstalling
ASP.NET on the machine (with aspnet_regiis -i) might be helpful.

Guest

Hi Scott,

this is Microsoft Beta country, so never forget the reinstall option ;-)
I've upgraded my machine to a newer build, (3 GB downloads are not that
common and not done on a daily basis) and now the problem is gone.

again thanks for your assistance.

Markus

Scott Allen

Hi Scott,

this is Microsoft Beta country, so never forget the reinstall option ;-)
I've upgraded my machine to a newer build, (3 GB downloads are not that
common and not done on a daily basis) and now the problem is gone.

again thanks for your assistance.

No problem, glad it worked out. Some of those CTP builds especially
can be wonky.