.NET 2005 versus 2003 standard edition

javanewbie22

Dear experts,

There is a lot of talk these days about .net.
I'm considering buying the software to pick it up.
Yet something else to learn!

I notice that you can get older standard version
..NET 2003 on the web. Much cheaper than the 2005 version.

How much different is 2003 standard edition to 2005?

I just want to get my hands dirty, and get familiar
with the product. Is most of the 2005 functionality
also found in 2003? Ie. most all of the same functions.

Or, is it a significantly different product, with
new and different paradigms to be concerned with?
And, I really should be concerned with 2005?

Thanks a lot

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

There is a lot of talk these days about .net.
I'm considering buying the software to pick it up.
Yet something else to learn!

I notice that you can get older standard version
.NET 2003 on the web. Much cheaper than the 2005 version.

How much different is 2003 standard edition to 2005?

I just want to get my hands dirty, and get familiar
with the product. Is most of the 2005 functionality
also found in 2003? Ie. most all of the same functions.

Or, is it a significantly different product, with
new and different paradigms to be concerned with?
And, I really should be concerned with 2005?

VS 2003 is .NET 1.1 and VS 2005 is .NET 2.0 (and 3.0).

At this point in time I think it would be a bad idea to
go for 2003/1.1 - you will be very frustrated when
you find examples on the net and they do not work
for you.

Arne

Guest

Dear experts,

There is a lot of talk these days about .net.
I'm considering buying the software to pick it up.
Yet something else to learn!

I notice that you can get older standard version
.NET 2003 on the web. Much cheaper than the 2005 version.

How much different is 2003 standard edition to 2005?

I just want to get my hands dirty, and get familiar
with the product. Is most of the 2005 functionality
also found in 2003? Ie. most all of the same functions.

Or, is it a significantly different product, with
new and different paradigms to be concerned with?
And, I really should be concerned with 2005?

Thanks a lot

The difference is in version of .NET Framework you can use.
VS.NET 2003 uses .NET 1.1 and VS.NET 2005 - .NET 2.0

Oleg Tkachenko [MVP]

Dear experts,

There is a lot of talk these days about .net.
I'm considering buying the software to pick it up.
Yet something else to learn!

I notice that you can get older standard version
.NET 2003 on the web. Much cheaper than the 2005 version.

Get free VS 2005 express version, VS 2003 is too old now.