.net 3.5 Web Service in IIS on XP PRO SP2

msnews.microsoft.com

I am using Windows XP Pro w/ SP2 and IIS to host an ASP.NET Web Service,
I have developed the Web Service in VS 2008 and .net 3.5.
IIS was installed AFTER .net 3.5 Framework.
I remember that with .net 1.1 and 2.0, I had to run a command line to
register/install the framework with IIS, but I see no such program to do
this with 3.0/3.5.

When I connect to the Web Service using a web browser I get the following
error message:

Server Application Unavailable

The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser
to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific
request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server.
Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

Below is the event log error
Event Type: Error
Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1088
Date: 2/20/2008
Time: 9:40:52 PM
User: N/A
Computer: DEVSHACK
Failed to execute request because the App-Domain could not be created.
Error: 0x80131902

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Steven Cheng

Hi Rob,

From your description, you can not get your ASP.NET 3.5 webservice app
running in IIS server, correct?

First, for ASP.NET 3.5, it do not have new extensions to install, it share
the same extension as ASP.NET 2.0. Therefore, as long as ASP.NET 2.0 is
installed correctly in IIS, you should be able to run ASP.NET 3.5
application. You can first check whether ASP.NET 2.0 application can run
correctly on your server. If not, try run aspnet_regiis command to
reinstall it.

The "Failed to execute request because the App-Domain could not be created"
seems a common error when ASP.NET appdomain can not be loaded, is there any
further message appended? Here are some web threads I've found that
mentioend this error:

#App-Domain could not be created. Error: 0x80131902
http://community.rainbowportal.net/blogs/jonathans_rainbow_blog/archive/2006
/03/10/1347.aspx

http://forums.asp.net/p/960370/1190184.aspx

Mostly such problem is caused by environment configuration. You may have a
look to see whether they help.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead