net-amazon-s3 0.1.0

Ryan Grove

Howdy folks,

I recently released the first version of Net::Amazon::S3, a pure Ruby
library for interacting with Amazon S3 via the REST API. I consider this
release beta quality, but it currently has no known issues (although a
few features, such as ACLs and logging, have not yet been implemented).

I see this library as having a few benefits over some of the existing S3
libraries for Ruby:

* It's not based on the (imho) unnecessarily complex Amazon example Ruby
code.
* It has no non-Ruby dependencies (in fact, it currently has no
dependencies outside the standard libraries), and is thus completely
platform-independent.
* It supports uploading from an open IO stream and downloading in
chunks, so large files don't need to be entirely buffered in memory
(this was a severe shortcoming of Amazon's example code and some of the
libraries based on it).

You can find Net::Amazon::S3 at http://wonko.com/software/net-amazon-s3
and in RubyGems as net-amazon-s3.

I'd love to hear feedback and criticism (constructive or otherwise,
although I'm likely to ignore the latter).

Giles Bowkett

Hey, that's awesome, I'm working with S3 too. I just modified the
Amazon code slightly, but it needs an open-source thing, people are
just reinventing the wheel.