net-amazon-s3 0.1.0

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Ryan Grove, Nov 28, 2006.

  1. Ryan Grove

    Ryan Grove Guest

    Howdy folks,

    I recently released the first version of Net::Amazon::S3, a pure Ruby
    library for interacting with Amazon S3 via the REST API. I consider this
    release beta quality, but it currently has no known issues (although a
    few features, such as ACLs and logging, have not yet been implemented).

    I see this library as having a few benefits over some of the existing S3
    libraries for Ruby:

    * It's not based on the (imho) unnecessarily complex Amazon example Ruby
    code.
    * It has no non-Ruby dependencies (in fact, it currently has no
    dependencies outside the standard libraries), and is thus completely
    platform-independent.
    * It supports uploading from an open IO stream and downloading in
    chunks, so large files don't need to be entirely buffered in memory
    (this was a severe shortcoming of Amazon's example code and some of the
    libraries based on it).

    You can find Net::Amazon::S3 at http://wonko.com/software/net-amazon-s3
    and in RubyGems as net-amazon-s3.

    I'd love to hear feedback and criticism (constructive or otherwise,
    although I'm likely to ignore the latter).

    --
    Ryan Grove

    http://wonko.com/
    Ryan Grove, Nov 28, 2006

  2. Hey, that's awesome, I'm working with S3 too. I just modified the
    Amazon code slightly, but it needs an open-source thing, people are
    just reinventing the wheel.

    --
    Giles Bowkett
    http://www.gilesgoatboy.org