.net and dlls

ana

Hi,

I'm using .net and C# and from C# i'm calling a dll. The
problem is that after the dll runs, it gets blocked and i
can't update or delete the file unless i stop .net or
reboot my computer. Does this mean that i need to put my
dll in a com+ object? Is there an easier way to solve this
problem?

Kevin Spencer

What kind of DLL are you referring to? What do you mean by "stop .net?"

HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
Internet Developer
http://www.takempis.com
Big things are made up of
lots of Little things.

jeff

that is the nature of .dll's. when an api is called within a .dll, the .dll
is loaded into memory and it is treated is if it is part of the program that
is calling it. this also is shown that if the .dll crashes, your .exe
calling it will also crash.

that isn't to say you couldn't load it into a separate thread and when the
thread disappears, maybe the api in memory also disappears. i am really not
sure though, haven't tried it.

jeff