.NET and unmanaged C++ communication

Discussion in 'C++' started by dydrmr, Nov 9, 2005.

  1. dydrmr

    dydrmr Guest

    Hi,

    I am developing a ASP.NET application which uses a 3rd party API that
    is an unmanaged C++ DLL. The possible solutions that I have in mind to
    build the .NET to C++ bridge:

    1. Import the unmanaged C++ DLL in the .NET (C#) program and call the
    functions as static entry points exposed by the DLL. This would be very
    cumbersome as it wont let the .NET app have a Object Oriented design.
    2. Build a COM wrapper using C++ around the unmanaged DLL and import
    these COM components in the .NET project as a reference. There's still
    an issue of converting C++ standard and custom data types to sth that
    ..NET understands. .NET interop would sure help marshalling standard
    datatypes(string, int, char etc..) but what about the custom datatypes?

    3. Code the .NET application in C++ and use the C++ API directly (or
    through a COM layer as in point 2 above).

    Personally I think approach 2 should be the best in terms of
    application extensibility and maintainability.

    Any pointers regarding this would be helpful.

    Thanks
    dydrmr, Nov 9, 2005

  2. dydrmr

    Sumit Rajan Guest

    "dydrmr" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am developing a ASP.NET application which uses a 3rd party API that
    > is an unmanaged C++ DLL. The possible solutions that I have in mind to
    > build the .NET to C++ bridge:

    Off-topic.Please see:

    Regards,
    Sumit.
    --
    Sumit Rajan <>
    Sumit Rajan, Nov 9, 2005

  3. dydrmr

    dydrmr Guest

    dydrmr, Nov 10, 2005
  4. dydrmr

    John Carson Guest

    "dydrmr" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > This has been re-posted @
    > http://groups.google.co.in/group/mi...rk.interop/browse_frm/thread/3d48b78445a6bc8d
    >
    > As the integration would require extensive C++ effort as well,
    > comments from users in this group are welcome.
    >
    > Thanks

    You are in the wrong place. Your question is highly Microsoft specific,
    which this group doesn't discuss. Try

    microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc

    --
    John Carson