.Net 'applets' ?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by genc ymeri, Apr 4, 2007.

  1. genc ymeri

    genc ymeri Guest

    Hello there,
    What MS has designed/aimed/or assumed that programmers will use for .Net
    'Applets' (equivalent of the Java applets) ?

    IMHO, even though .Net has been around for years, most of the components (if
    not all) for image manipulations, scanning for ASP.Net are still ActiveX
    controls. I did google and there is no much information out there for
    building .Net 'applets'. Basically those few links show how a winform
    control can be run in IE . That's fine, I expected this in the first place.
    But what it worries me is that (based on those links) there are so many
    problems, especially with updating the .net framework from 1.1 to 2.0. In
    that case the .Net 'applet' controls do not behave the same. (Also in
    another link I read that in .Net 2.0, .Net 'applets' would not start running
    unless clicked over .... or problems of other nature....)

    Finding no much information from MS how to build .Net 'applets', it lead me
    think that MS has done this deliberately when better approaches may be
    available......(or I may have the wrong assumption:) )

    Any inputs/tips/hints/opinions/links are very much appreciated,

    Thanks in advance,

    Genc Ymeri
    Sr. Software Engineer
    Reston, VA

    PS:
    We are trying to get rid of the ocx/activex(s) written in VB6 for image
    viewing/scanning/annotations and other image manipulations. We still use
    ActiveX/OCX withASP.Net. We hate the fact they need to be installed in
    client machines but at this point I 'see' no better alternatives......
    genc ymeri, Apr 4, 2007

  2. On Apr 4, 2:37 pm, "genc ymeri" <> wrote:
    > ...better approaches may be available.

    A Java applet or application launched using Web Start.

    Both are free floating from the browser window once
    launched, and free of the most vexing forms of
    incompatibilities that arise in different versions
    of different browsers, running on a slew of OS'.

    Once a Web Start enabled Java Plug-In is on the
    client machine, JVM update becomes automatic
    (the user is guided through it) if needed.

    For some Web Start examples, see this page..
    <http://www.physci.org/jws/>

    HTH

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Apr 4, 2007

  3. I don't know where you got your information, but I can tell you from
    experience that.NET 2.0 WinForm controls embedded in a web browser work just
    as well as .NET 1.1 controls.
    Also, the user doesn't need to click on it to activate it if you code it
    right.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr,

    Steve C. Orr [MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASP Insider], Apr 4, 2007
  4. genc ymeri

    genc ymeri Guest

    I can tell you from experience that.NET 2.0 WinForm controls embedded in a
    web browser work just as well as .NET 1.1 controls.
    > Also, the user doesn't need to click on it to activate it if you code it
    > right.

    Thanks for your input Steve. I have been testing last few days with 1.1
    framework. So far is not going that bad at all. I can easly run .net
    winforms in IE, accessing with javascript its methods and properties from
    'outside' , etc,,,,,

    Here are the problems I got so far which I'm still working on :

    1. It works fine when the app is hosted from some IIS servers but it works
    'quirky' in some others. The main winform in 'applet' will show but not
    inside components (all of the IIS servers where I tested my app are 2003
    ones, shipped with .Net framework 1.1 sp1).

    2. The same problem when the application is hosted locally in different XP
    workstastions. In some of them work OK and in some not. (all of them with
    ..Net framework 1.1 sp1 installed)

    Not sure why this discrepancy comes in. It worked fine in all my home
    PCs....initially I thought that comes from diff version of .Net frameworks in
    different IIS servers i did (OS: Server 2003 with .net 1.1.4322.2300 or
    1.1.4322.2032) but later on I had systems from both version where controls
    showed up properly in client side. From my own testing .net framework
    version in client side didn't matter. If the components showed up properly in
    the IE being run localy in the IIS then it showed up in all clients. I wonder
    if it still going to run if no .Net framework is in the client side.

    Probably it got to do with corporate security software which may be turned
    on or off in some PC. Haven't got a conclusion yet.

    3. I get "Click to activiate and use this control" in all the PCs and I
    tested. I read that comes from a legal battle of MS with EOLA ... but
    whatever... I read some article how can I get rid of :)

    Still testing......

    Thanks a zillion,

    Genc Ymeri
    Northrop Grumman IT