.NET application freeze

Nelson Xu

Hi .NET experts,
My company has a three tier web application written by
VB.NET.

This application runs fine sometimes. However, it also
freeze 20% of the time.

Now, this is a big concern for us because we have to solve
this issue before goes to production.

Any help will appreciate !

Nelson

Chris Rolon

Without anymore information there is little help that can be provided. The
likely cause is your code.

Are you doing any logging? If not add appropriate logging to all critical
areas of your app so that you have some information as to what your app is
doing at the time of the freeze.

Is there anything reported in the event log?
What is the processor utilization for your app? If greater than 0 your app
is in some loop. If the utilization is very high on your app, it's a very
tight loop.

Basically you need to gather some information as to what your app is doing
before you can figure out why it's freezing.

Olaf Baeyens

Without anymore information there is little help that can be provided. The
likely cause is your code.

Are you doing any logging? If not add appropriate logging to all critical
areas of your app so that you have some information as to what your app is
doing at the time of the freeze.

Also questions, do you use multi-threading? Are any 3rd party components
using multi-threading? Do you lock database/files/...
Would be helpfull.