.NET Apps stop working after running asp_regiis -i

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by sillz, Apr 8, 2008.

  1. sillz

    sillz Guest

    In trying to help a developer get his code working, some of our .NET
    apps stopped working.

    We were trying to get the .NET Application to open pdf files on a
    remote .NET server. The aspnet account kept getting locked out on
    the remote IIS 6.0 server. I read about impersonation, so I reset the
    aspnet user account on both the application server and the remote
    server hosting the pdf files so they matched. We added the
    impersonation code to the web.config for that application.

    <identity impersonate="true" userName="aspnet" password="mypassword"/

    The aspnet user account kept getting locked out on the remote box, so
    I ran asp_regiis -i, and I created a new user account with all of the
    privleges, and that worked fine. We added the username and password
    to the web.config file for that application.

    Now, for the other applications on the server are getting the error
    below. It looks like the aspnet user account is still having problems
    although it's not getting locked out.

    How can I get the aspnet user account to work for the other web apps?
    I don't think I want to use impersonation for all applications. Do
    all of the security settings need to be redone for the aspnet account
    after running asp_regiis -i? If so, then what are they?

    Any help is appreciated.

    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
    Event Category: Web Event
    Event ID: 1309
    Date: 4/8/2008
    Time: 1:55:47 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: IMEM1
    Event code: 3005
    Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
    Event time: 4/8/2008 1:55:47 PM
    Event time (UTC): 4/8/2008 8:55:47 PM
    Event ID: 9343d553050841fabb3cdd4706ef44df
    Event sequence: 105
    Event occurrence: 18
    Event detail code: 0

    Application information:
    Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1/Root/
    claims_test-38-128520780871827405
    Trust level: Full
    Application Virtual Path: /claims_test
    Application Path: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Claims_test\
    Machine name: IMEM1

    Process information:
    Process ID: 604
    Process name: aspnet_wp.exe
    Account name: IMEM1\ASPNET

    Exception information:
    Exception type: OracleException
    Exception message: ORA-28001: the password has expired

    Request information:
    Request URL: http://localhost/claims_test/Claims/HRSA/HRSA.aspx
    Request path: /claims_test/Claims/HRSA/HRSA.aspx
    User host address: 127.0.0.1
    User:
    Is authenticated: False
    Authentication Type:
    Thread account name: IMEM1\ASPNET

    Thread information:
    Thread ID: 6
    Thread account name: IMEM1\ASPNET
    Is impersonating: False
    Stack trace: at
    System.Data.OracleClient.OracleException.Check(OciErrorHandle
    errorHandle, Int32 rc)
    at
    System.Data.OracleClient.OracleInternalConnection.OpenOnLocalTransaction(String
    userName, String password, String serverName, Boolean
    integratedSecurity, Boolean unicode, Boolean omitOracleConnectionName)
    at
    System.Data.OracleClient.OracleInternalConnection..ctor(OracleConnectionString
    connectionOptions)
    at
    System.Data.OracleClient.OracleConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions
    options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool,
    DbConnection owningObject)
    at
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection
    owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options)
    at
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection
    owningObject)
    at
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection
    owningObject)
    at
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection
    owningObject)
    at
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection
    owningConnection)
    at
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection
    outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
    at System.Data.OracleClient.OracleConnection.Open()
    at Claims_HRSA_HRSA.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp,
    Object o, Object t, EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object
    sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()

    Custom event details:

    sillz, Apr 8, 2008

  2. sillz

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    Have you checked to make sure your Oracle password has not expired as the
    error suggests?

    Jeff

    Jeff Dillon, Apr 8, 2008

  3. sillz

    sillz Guest

    On Apr 8, 2:00 pm, sillz <> wrote:
> [...]
    > System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection
    > owningObject)
    > at
    > System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection
    > owningConnection)
    > at
    > System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection
    > outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
    > at System.Data.OracleClient.OracleConnection.Open()
    > at Claims_HRSA_HRSA.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    > at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp,
    > Object o, Object t, EventArgs e)
    > at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object
    > sender, EventArgs e)
    > at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
    > at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
    > at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean

    I never could get this to work. The oracle account tested fine. I
    ended up creating a new account in Windows with the right permissions
    and this solved the problem.

    sillz, May 16, 2008