.Net Dlls and ASP.NET app.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Guest, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I posted this question in the past, but have not
    yet received an answer. Here is the question.

    By default an ASP.NET app developed in Visual Studio
    compiles it's code to a DLL located in the bin directory.
    Is it worth while to try to break your code into seperate
    DLLs, rather than allow your project to keep building this
    DLL larger and larger as you develop your app? Does it
    save memory to have less frequently used (by the user)
    code in a seperate DLL.

    If you broke the code into seperate DLLs and wanted to
    continue to work within Visual Studio, would you need
    seperate projects?

    If you had seperate dependant projects would all the
    Dlls wind up in the same bin directory, or in a seperate
    bin for each project.

    Thanks in advance -

    Guest, Jul 11, 2003

    David Browne Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > I posted this question in the past, but have not
    > yet received an answer. Here is the question.
    >
    > By default an ASP.NET app developed in Visual Studio
    > compiles it's code to a DLL located in the bin directory.
    > Is it worth while to try to break your code into seperate
    > DLLs, rather than allow your project to keep building this
    > DLL larger and larger as you develop your app? Does it
    > save memory to have less frequently used (by the user)
    > code in a seperate DLL.

    Yes, but trivial amounts.

    > If you broke the code into seperate DLLs and wanted to
    > continue to work within Visual Studio, would you need
    > seperate projects?

    Yes. The other projects would be class libraries. They could all be in the
    same solution.

    > If you had seperate dependant projects would all the
    > Dlls wind up in the same bin directory, or in a seperate
    > bin for each project.

    Both. If a reference's CopyLocal property is true, it will be copied into
    your bin directory when you build.

    David

    David Browne, Jul 11, 2003

    Vincent V Guest

    If you have dlls in seperate projects is it the same situation
    with getting the Current context items?

    "David Browne" <davidbaxterbrowne no potted > wrote in
    message news:OYfLHZ$...

    Vincent V, Jul 12, 2003
  4. Hello,

    David is right. You could also refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnbda/html/tdlg_ch3.asp?frame=true for
    Microsoft Practices on how to structure Solutions and Projects.

    Hope it helps.

    Best regards,
    Yanhong Huang
    Microsoft Online Partner Support