.NET does not restart app on entire web farm after DLL update

steve.mash

We have a client who has updated a DLL on their .NET web site and the
application was not automatically restarted on 1 server within the farm
(3 total). They were able to work around this by simply performing a
manual save on web.config file on the server not using the newer DLL.

They reported the same thing again a few days later. Although it was
the same server it was a different site.

Any ideas as to why this may be occurring? Not sure how frequently
they have been makiong changes to the site, but it is definitely not a
new one.

We are running Windows 200 SP4, IIS 5.0, .NET Framework 1.1

Thanks for any help

Steve

Bruce Barker

asp.net has no knowledge of the webfarm. each server runs on its own and
will only restart an application if it detects a file change in its
monitored vdir.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

steve.mash

We use a separate tool to replicate files to the respective directories
on each server. I would assume that IIS on each server would discover
this newer file regardless of how it got there. I checked permissions
on the directory structure and they appear to be an order.

Could this be a load balancing issue?

Jason Kester

Is it always the same server that does this? If so, have you checked
the system clock on that machine to make sure it's right?

I can imagine a scenario where you'd drop a new dll, and 2003 would
kindly preserve the timestamp on it, tricking the FileSystemWatcher
into thinking it's not new.

Jason Kester
Expat Software Consulting Services
http://www.expatsoftware.com/