.NET emailing problem

Mark Rodseth

Okay, this is really annoying me so if you can help I'll
be very gratefull.

I am trying to send an email using the System.Web.Mail
Namespace - MailMessage and SMTPMail classes - and
something very strange is happening.

When I set the EmailFrom field, for example "Joe Bloggs
<[email protected]>", the angle brackets are converted
to square brackets. I need the angle brackets to stay
angle brackets because email readers only display
the 'Display Name' i.e. "Joe Bloggs". With square
brackets, "Joe Bloggs [[email protected]]" is displayed
as "Joe Bloggs [[email protected]]".

Anybody know how I can prevent the conversion from angle
brackets to square brackets?

Regards,

Mark Rodseth.

Bill

I don't think you can do this because it appears the underlying CDOSYS is
parsing the property and bulding the friendly name and email addrss of the
e-mail message.

If you can't get it working another option is the free SMTP.net component by
Quiksoft. http://www.quiksoft.com/freesmtp/

It will let you do this:

msgObj.From.Name="Joe Bloggs [[email protected]]";
msgObj.From.Email="(e-mail address removed)";

Bill.

mark_rodseth

I was on completely the wrong track here. Turns out it was the Microsoft Exchange SMTP service which was stripping out headers and tampering in that Microsoft way we love so much.