NET-enabling start-tag requires SHORTTAG YES

dorayme

Els said:

I have tried this sort of thing with poor results. If you look at
the actual figures reported in the article here, it is not hugely
encouraging. But I will try again and attend to trying to improve
a trap to suit the conditions here.
Or, as John Bokma writes on his blog: "We like to have geckos in the
house because their diet probably consist for a large part of juvenile
cockroaches, an insect we really don't want to have in the house but
is extremely hard to keep out."

Any geckos where you live? :)

There are lots of very small lizardy thngs in my garden, called
Skinks, but rarely see them in the house. They sure like ants.
They are not very big (pencil thick and half as long and I would
not think they would be a match for cockroaches. Have you ever
seen how huge some of those big black cockroaches are*?

------------
* Have lost the url for where someone actually has beautifully
caught them and painted their backs? Saw it ages ago when looking
into this business of traps.

I did see just now:

http://jafabrit.blogspot.com/2006/04/cockroaches.html

(there is nice song that suddenly starts so turn speakers down if
you don't like surprises like this...)

dorayme

dorayme said:
There are lots of very small lizardy things in my garden, called
Skinks, but I rarely see them in the house. They sure like ants to eat.
They are not very big (pencil thick and half as long and I would
not think they would be a match for cockroaches.

Just took a couple of pics from the garden 5 mins ago, there were
a whole bunch lazing in the sun but they scattered too quick when
approached:

http://netweaver.com.au/alt/pics/skink1.jpg
and

http://netweaver.com.au/alt/pics/skink2.jpg

(the bricks are very ordinary house brick dimensions, to give you
an idea of scale)

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Bone Ur:
Well, I did say "I think..."

It seems that you decided to proceed in ridiculing yourself rather than
study anything. Thank you for making this clear. It is now obvious that
the true value of your free advice is much below its price.

There was no need for your or anyone's _opinions_ on something that is a
matter of definitions and facts.
It was something to try.

Now you are _really_ ridiculous.

It does not help at all to give "opinions" or "suggestions" in matters
that could be checked by any literate person in a couple of seconds. It
just distracts and makes others use the same foolish approach.

Els

Jukka said:
It does not help at all to give "opinions" or "suggestions" in matters
that could be checked by any literate person in a couple of seconds.

I wonder if you've realised yet that by your standards you are the
only literate person on the whole of Usenet? (SCNR)

Els

dorayme said:
There are lots of very small lizardy thngs in my garden, called
Skinks, but rarely see them in the house. They sure like ants.
They are not very big (pencil thick and half as long and I would
not think they would be a match for cockroaches. Have you ever
seen how huge some of those big black cockroaches are*?

No idea about the Australian ones, I mean, you call your grasshoppers
kangaroos, but I've seen plenty of big ones, yes. One day in Dahab,
Sinai, we were at this 'restaurant' (read: outdoor lazing area with
food served) where all of a sudden a couple of hundreds of them just
barged in, running over one of the 'walls' (50cm high tresholds more
like). Never saw people stand up so quickly :)
------------
* Have lost the url for where someone actually has beautifully
caught them and painted their backs? Saw it ages ago when looking
into this business of traps.

I did see just now:

http://jafabrit.blogspot.com/2006/04/cockroaches.html

Those aren't caught though, they're rubber ones :)
(there is nice song that suddenly starts so turn speakers down if
you don't like surprises like this...)

Thanks for the heads up - muted my sound before clicking :)

dorayme

* Have lost the url for where someone actually has beautifully
caught them and painted their backs? Saw it ages ago when looking
into this business of traps.

I did see just now:

http://jafabrit.blogspot.com/2006/04/cockroaches.html

Those aren't caught though, they're rubber ones :)[/QUOTE]

I know! That was the *closest* I could get to the real thing. I
can't find the reference I saw about two years ago or any of the
same type. It has stuck in my mind as quite a remarkable thing to
do and makes seeing the big black cockroaches a bit more amusing.

dorayme

Els said:
No idea about the Australian ones, I mean, you call your grasshoppers
kangaroos,

A Texan farmer goes to Australia for a vacation. There he meets
an Aussie farmer and gets talking. The Aussie shows off his big
wheat field and the Texan says, "Oh! We have wheat fields that
are at least twice as large."

Then they walk around the ranch a little, and the Aussie shows
off his herd of cattle. The Texan immediately says, "We have
longhorns that are at least twice as large as your cows."

The conversation has, meanwhile, almost died when the Texan sees
a herd of kangaroos hopping through the field in the distance.
Amazed, he asks, "What the hell are those?!"

The Aussie replies with an incredulous look, "Don't you have any
grasshoppers in Texas?"

dorayme

Els said:
The flower is a good enough measure too I think, they're tiny indeed.
Not big enough to eat cockraches, no :)

Well, Els, after your remarks about our grasshoppers being called
kangaroos (see your last post), I would have thought the bricks
would have been a more useful indicator. I mean bricks are an
industry standard world wide... sort of. But our nasturtiums...
well now... they could be any size <g>

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 02 Dec 2007 12:23:38 GMT
Jukka K. Korpela scribed:
Scripsit Bone Ur:

It seems that you decided to proceed in ridiculing yourself rather than
study anything. Thank you for making this clear. It is now obvious that
the true value of your free advice is much below its price.

There was no need for your or anyone's _opinions_ on something that is a
matter of definitions and facts.

Is that a fact? Then why are you expressing an opinion about it?
Now you are _really_ ridiculous.

It does not help at all to give "opinions" or "suggestions" in matters
that could be checked by any literate person in a couple of seconds. It
just distracts and makes others use the same foolish approach.

And all literate people know just where to look up html criteria...

Verbal intercourse is an important part of virtually any learning system
(excepting those specialized for the deaf, etc., which have alternates.)
Since you obviously don't fathom this, you'd make one very narrow-minded,
inferior instructor teaching any subject whatsoever. Ergo, your advice on
proper Usenet procedures herein is highly suspect.