net/http for Googles Authentication api

Joe Smith

def process_token(token)
url =
URI.parse('http://www.google.com/account/AuthSubSessionToken/')

request = Net::HTTP::Get.new(url.path)
request['Content-Type'] = "text/html; charset=utf-8"
request['User-Agent'] = "Ruby client"
request['Authorization'] = "AuthSub token='#{token}'"
res = Net::HTTP.start(url.host, 80) do |sess|
sess.request(request)
end
end

That is the code I'm using to send a request to
http://www.google.com/account/AuthSubSessionToken/ with a special header
attribute (Authorization) containing a token provided by Google. The
code above results in a 404 exception, I don't think it's sending the
correct request.

Any suggestions as to what I did wrong or how I can view the entire
request sent so I at least have an idea of whats wrong?

Dan Zwell

Joe said:
[...]

A 404 not found is not something that a server usually spits out when
you have merely given it the wrong information. Error, Access Denied,
Authentication Failed, something, but not a 404. So I strongly suspect
your URL is wrong. Try https? (though that would mean using Net::HTTPS
instead of Net::HTTP). One strategy would be to find something that
successfully connects to Google by this method (if you have a working
example in another language, or even a binary file), you should run that
and sniff your own packets to see exactly what is being sent.
"livehttpheaders" is a Firefox extension that I use for this sort of
thing, if there is any way for you to use a web browser to log in to
this google authentication thing.

Good luck,
Dan