Net::HTTP, LWP::UserAgent, IO::Socket, etc

Steve in NY

Hi all,

I am going through the list of standard modules and found the following which
all allow one to create an http connection:

Net::HTTP, LWP::UserAgent, IO::Socket, Socket, HTTP

Which is best? Are there any differences? Well, mostly I just use IO::Socket,
but something simpler might make my code a lot shorter. And also something that
handles time outs well would be good. Right now I am trying to poll urls using
the HEAD method and would like it to timeout well.

Also, on a related note, there is

CGI.pm and HTML.pm ...I like handling the cgi part myself, but getting html out
of my code would be nice, something like

form("my value");

table -> cell("data");

would be cool.

Thanks in advance!

Steve in NY

Reading the documentation may help clarify the differences. You may want
to ask here if you have specific programming question.

I do have a specific programing question. My question is why are there so many
different modules to handle the same thing. And I am reading the documentation,
I just thought it would be interesting if anyone could give me insight on this
question.

And also, some modules are better than others, so I was hoping to get insight
here as well.

Steve

Steve in NY

hmmm...I guess I better read the documentation some more ;-)

thanks for the reply,

Steve