Net::HTTP, LWP::UserAgent, IO::Socket, etc

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Steve in NY, Jul 24, 2003.

  1. Steve in NY

    Steve in NY Guest

    Hi all,

    I am going through the list of standard modules and found the following which
    all allow one to create an http connection:

    Net::HTTP, LWP::UserAgent, IO::Socket, Socket, HTTP

    Which is best? Are there any differences? Well, mostly I just use IO::Socket,
    but something simpler might make my code a lot shorter. And also something that
    handles time outs well would be good. Right now I am trying to poll urls using
    the HEAD method and would like it to timeout well.

    Also, on a related note, there is

    CGI.pm and HTML.pm ...I like handling the cgi part myself, but getting html out
    of my code would be nice, something like

    form("my value");

    table -> cell("data");

    would be cool.

    Thanks in advance!

    Steve in NY, Jul 24, 2003

  2. Steve in NY

    Steve in NY Guest

    On 24 Jul 2003 19:21:24 GMT, "A. Sinan Unur" <> wrote:

    >Reading the documentation may help clarify the differences. You may want
    >to ask here if you have specific programming question.

    I do have a specific programing question. My question is why are there so many
    different modules to handle the same thing. And I am reading the documentation,
    I just thought it would be interesting if anyone could give me insight on this
    question.

    And also, some modules are better than others, so I was hoping to get insight
    here as well.

    Steve

    Steve in NY, Jul 24, 2003

  3. Steve in NY

    Steve in NY Guest

    hmmm...I guess I better read the documentation some more ;-)

    thanks for the reply,

    Steve

    Steve in NY, Jul 25, 2003