Net::HTTP working on Windows, but not Unix

James Edward Gray II

We have an odd problem at work today.

Running the following code on Windows XP gives us a CVV2 error, which
is what we expect (we didn't give one). However, running the same
code on Linux or OS X gets a complaint that we didn't provide the
key, which is obviously not true (see last line).

Does anyone see anything inherently non-portable in the following code?

require 'net/http'
require 'net/https'

uri = URI.parse 'https://www.usaepay.com/gate.php'
p (http = Net::HTTP.new(uri.host, uri.port))
p http.use_ssl = true
p http.verify_mode = OpenSSL::SSL::VERIFY_NONE
p http.post(uri.path, "UMkey=OUR_KEY_CODE_HERE").body

Thanks in advance for any hints.

James Edward Gray II

James Edward Gray II

We have an odd problem at work today.

Running the following code on Windows XP gives us a CVV2 error,
which is what we expect (we didn't give one). However, running the
same code on Linux or OS X gets a complaint that we didn't provide
the key, which is obviously not true (see last line).

Does anyone see anything inherently non-portable in the following
code?

require 'net/http'
require 'net/https'

uri = URI.parse 'https://www.usaepay.com/gate.php'
p (http = Net::HTTP.new(uri.host, uri.port))
p http.use_ssl = true
p http.verify_mode = OpenSSL::SSL::VERIFY_NONE
p http.post(uri.path, "UMkey=OUR_KEY_CODE_HERE").body

Switching the code to the following seems to work everywhere, as long
as 1.8.4 is used:

require 'net/https'

uri = URI.parse 'https://www.usaepay.com/gate.php'
req = Net::HTTP::post.new(uri.path)
req.set_form_data "UMkey" => "OUR_KEY_CODE_HERE"
p (http = Net::HTTP.new(uri.host, uri.port))
p http.use_ssl = true
p http.verify_mode = OpenSSL::SSL::VERIFY_NONE
p http.start { http.request(req) }.body

I still don't understand why the first version didn't work though...

James Edward Gray II

James Edward Gray II

Switching the code to the following seems to work everywhere, as
long as 1.8.4 is used:

require 'net/https'

uri = URI.parse 'https://www.usaepay.com/gate.php'
req = Net::HTTP::post.new(uri.path)
req.set_form_data "UMkey" => "OUR_KEY_CODE_HERE"
p (http = Net::HTTP.new(uri.host, uri.port))
p http.use_ssl = true
p http.verify_mode = OpenSSL::SSL::VERIFY_NONE
p http.start { http.request(req) }.body

I still don't understand why the first version didn't work though...

Sorry to keep responding to myself but we have now realized that that
the Windows machine, where the top example originally worked, was
running 1.8.2 while both failing machines were running 1.8.4.

The bottom "fix" did not work on the Windows box right off the bat,
because set_form_data() seems to have been added after 1.8.2.
Upgrading fixes the issue.

That raises the question of what caused the original failure though.
Was the handling of the second parameter to post() changed between
1.8.2 and 1.8.4? If so, I suspect there could be some more broken
code out there...

James Edward Gray II

Park Heesob

Hi,
From: James Edward Gray II <[email protected]>
To: (e-mail address removed) (ruby-talk ML)
Subject: Re: Net::HTTP working on Windows, but not Unix
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 09:35:13 +0900
This will work :

p http.post(uri.path, "UMkey=OUR_KEY_CODE_HERE",{'Content-Type' =>
'application/x-www-form-urlencoded'}).body
Sorry to keep responding to myself but we have now realized that that the
Windows machine, where the top example originally worked, was running
1.8.2 while both failing machines were running 1.8.4.

The bottom "fix" did not work on the Windows box right off the bat,
because set_form_data() seems to have been added after 1.8.2. Upgrading
fixes the issue.

That raises the question of what caused the original failure though. Was
the handling of the second parameter to post() changed between 1.8.2 and
1.8.4? If so, I suspect there could be some more broken code out there...
There must be a bug in 1.8.4 Net::HTTP post.
I suspect lib/net/http.rb line #1507

unless content_type()
warn 'net/http: warning: Content-Type did not set; using
application/x-www-form-urlencoded' if $VERBOSE
set_content_type 'application/x-www-form-urlencoded'
end

Regards,

Park Heesob