Net::IMAP - Support for 'plain' authentication?

Sean Hussey

Hi everyone,

Our IMAP server here is configured to support only the PLAIN
authentication mechanism, but not LOGIN or CRAM_MD5. Before I
approach our mail admin about opening up another auth mech, is there
another library or add-on to Net::IMAP that supports PLAIN?

Thanks,

Sean

Steve Peters

--KFztAG8eRSV9hGtP

Hi everyone,
=20
Our IMAP server here is configured to support only the PLAIN
authentication mechanism, but not LOGIN or CRAM_MD5. Before I
approach our mail admin about opening up another auth mech, is there
another library or add-on to Net::IMAP that supports PLAIN?

Take a look at <raa.ruby-lang.org/cache/imap-backend/imap-backend.rb>
for a PLAIN authenticator.

Steve Peters
(e-mail address removed)

--KFztAG8eRSV9hGtP

--KFztAG8eRSV9hGtP--

Sean Hussey

Interesting...I'll give it a try. Not much documentation, though.

When I requre the file and run my script (no other modifications), I get th=
is:

rmail IMAP backend
Starting...
...creating IMAP session service...
...creating watchdog thread...
...starting DRb server...
...started on druby://localhost:31382...
...done.

Until I Ctrl-C and it moves on. After that, I get other IMAP errors I
can likely deal with. How do I stop DRB from running?

Thank you!

Sean

Andreas S.

Sean said:
Hi everyone,

Our IMAP server here is configured to support only the PLAIN
authentication mechanism, but not LOGIN or CRAM_MD5. Before I
approach our mail admin about opening up another auth mech, is there
another library or add-on to Net::IMAP that supports PLAIN?

Try IMAP#login instead of IMAP#authenticate, this uses a different
authentication method. It works with my Dovecot server although Dovecot
doesn't support LOGIN authentication.

Sean Hussey

Oh, wow, it works. That's amazing.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not this method is better
than using imap-backend? They both work, but I'm afraid of the
overhead and uncertainty of a codebase that's at 0.1 and has no
homepage or documentation.

Thanks!

Sean

Dick Davies

stick with net::imap. less to install and it's a really lovely
library (I know MTAs that were harder to use than irb and Net::IMAP).

(no offence to imap-backend)